How Do You Feel...about the Caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Also interesting is that Vrana got less than 10 minutes tonight. Trotz is still Trotz.

I'm hoping that his lack of minutes were a result of the game flow and not a conscious decision by Trotz. Vrana doesn't PK and PP2 got almost no ice time, if any, so in a game that saw 20+ minutes of it played on special teams with 11 minor penalties called, it stands to reason that the guys who don't see a ton of ice time on man up or man down situations would have their ice time squeezed.

Reactions: ovikovy817

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Burt played 11 minutes. Vrana had a penalty. That cost him a shift. there was a bit of 4 on 4 which could have cost him another shift.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
Yeah but Vrana also had the first goal of the game - created by speed that literally nobody else on the team has. Trotz gonna Trotz.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah but Vrana also had the first goal of the game - created by speed that literally nobody else on the team has. Trotz gonna Trotz.

Before we go that far....how many forwards had more ES time than Vrana last night? I would assume Eller, Kuznetsov, Backstrom, Wilson, and Ovechkin? Is that accurate? Anyone else? Beagle?

Edit-- I checked. It's true, Vrana had the least. Part of that was his minor. Part of that was the team playing with the lead most of the night (read, more defensive forwards got ice time)

Reactions: ovikovy817

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
txpd was totally correct that Vrana lost ice time because of his penalty. But from my seat it seems like Vrana has been a sparkplug, has improved his game including the details and deserves a little more carrot and a little less stick. Bad penalty? Maybe. Bad game? No way. Maybe it's fine but I just hope this isn't discouraging the kid. I think he's great.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
txpd was totally correct that Vrana lost ice time because of his penalty. But from my seat it seems like Vrana has been a sparkplug, has improved his game including the details and deserves a little more carrot and a little less stick. Bad penalty? Maybe. Bad game? No way. Maybe it's fine but I just hope this isn't discouraging the kid. I think he's great.
Don't look into that too much. We were playing with a lead so our better defensive players got more ice time. I'm sure Vrana understands that.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well the highest anyone on the Caps was clocked at this year was Tom Wilson. We also have some other excellent skaters

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I don't think his ice time was demished as punishment for the penalty. I am sure he missed a shift or two sitting in the box. There was some 4 on 4 play where he isn't in the first two pairs. That would be a second shift. That is all it took. Otherwise they had the lead. The Bruins were loading up on their offensive lines and Vrana doesn't play against them.

I don't see any carrot or stick in play here,

Edit: and like last season, the Caps 4th line for ice time is their 3rd offensive line. Beagle gets to play when protecting a lead.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I dunno. I'm confused. Moderate us.

palpatine.gif

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
So how is this thread different from our general discussion thread???

I forgot we even had a general discussion thread. Hasn't been used in a month.

I personally think this thread is about feelings, and less about lines and acquisitions. So it's different than the Roster thread. Not necessarily news or notes either.

Do we really have a general discussion thread?

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Tom Wilson is the fastest skater on the team?
That isnt exactly what I said. The fastest any Caps player has been clocked during a game this season was Tom Wilson against the Rangers when he blew by McDonough and scored. That doesn't mean he is our fastest player. He can skate though.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Ice time or not, the guy has some skills. Imagine what he'll do when he breaks out. Hopefully he'll turn into another Bondra :).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That isnt exactly what I said. The fastest any Caps player has been clocked during a game this season was Tom Wilson against the Rangers when he blew by McDonough and scored. That doesn't mean he is our fastest player. He can skate though.

When you said, clocked, I assume the others are "clocked" to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad