How Do You Feel...about the Caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
we have some angry posters on here....and I am not allowed to sequester them, I tried. Fair enough, and I get it.

New idea: let's just allow people to talk about how they "feel" about the Caps. Feelings are a thing that needs more time and energy spent on it. Pent up feelings are not a good thing. Can be rather damaging, from what we know.

So, from me:

I love the team. Fan since 1979. And I love them right here. And right now. Seen it all.

This team is growing before our eyes. It's fun to see. We haven't had that in a few years. Perhaps we should all stop growling and just sit back and watch it? It's all a journey. They could meet our expectations and fail.... Or they may surprise.

It's not supposed to ALL be so painful. 18 wins in 30 games. .600 in sports is good.

Oshie is back soon, too?

Hmmmm...

Stand up and talk about it. Or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Barry Amsterdam

Nättias Dänielstrom
Apr 2, 2013
Anyone else having a lot more enjoyment watching this team this year compared to last years team? Theoretically we are worse

But some fresh blood with
Djoos,Bowey,Stephenson all filling a role and not looking like rookies

Vrana becoming the player we thought Burt could be.

8-19-43 looking the most dominant I’ve seen them since knuble

Wilson always getting better

Ovi looking 19

Nice depth my commission with DSP and Chiasson being able to play all over the lineup.

It’s been a fun season thus far

Reactions: RandyHolt

Ovechclutch

Aug 19, 2014
Toronto
Anyone else having a lot more enjoyment watching this team this year compared to last years team? Theoretically we are worse

But some fresh blood with
Djoos,Bowey,Stephenson all filling a role and not looking like rookies

Vrana becoming the player we thought Burt could be.

8-19-43 looking the most dominant I’ve seen them since knuble

Wilson always getting better

Ovi looking 19

Nice depth my commission with DSP and Chiasson being able to play all over the lineup.

It’s been a fun season thus far
feel the same way about everything except Bowey he's been goofing up a lot lately

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I guess we're a decent team. Expectations aren't too high, no one thinks we have a chance in hell to win anything in the playoffs. At least the Caps can't disappoint this year if they make it to the playoffs which they well. This is enjoyable.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Pot shots are fun.

Care to make an actual statement about the team, that's yours? On paper in front of the group?

Or is that too painful as well?

I was referring to the post above mine. What I mean is that they won't be a contender for a whole lot longer, and even though they most likely won't win the Cup this year, we should just enjoy what we have now: a team that's fun to watch most nights and in all likelihood the best player this franchise will ever have.

You should take things less seriously.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
The one thing i like right now is, like the op stated, seeing the team doing growth night in night out.

Thats something we have been missing for few years. We have had a ridiculously stacked up team who has been what they are from day 1 in the season. Most stanley cup winners do inseason growth stories. Like the last two Pens cups, first season came back from the basement after the coach change and last season overcoming all the injuries. We havent had that for a long time, our story. It has just been a very stacked team with everyone staying healthy and performing like they should, right until the game 7 of round 2 against te Pens. So, losing as heavy favourites has become our story. But this year is different.

Im feeling like its coming. Maybe not this year, but within 3. But then again, thats how i have been feeling for the last 6 years, from disappointment after another.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
They are who I thought they would be. If they hit the skids and lose two or three in a row they are right back at the bottom of the Metro, heck Philly and the Canes are within ten points with games in hand. #perspective ;)

People will say zero expectations will loosen you up, maybe that is it, but they really are fun to watch when they are rolling.

I am also so invested in the young players from watching them play so much in Development camps and Hershey that I really do love this season so far.

So in summation, "How do I feel about the Caps?":

I know they aren't winning the Cup, so honestly there is a small part of me that wishes they wouldn't make the playoffs so I don't have to read about how Ovechkin is a bad leader after they are bounced.

I want Ovechkin to win the Rocket or hit 50 goals just because I know how much it pisses of non-Ovechkin fans to have to admit his greatness.

Lastly, I feel this team is headed in the right direction. They have talented youth at all positions with more kids coming soon, the blend of kids and vets is perfect, the future looks bright.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I feel the same about this team as the last 3 or 4. They have the staff to have the best record in the league. Lets see how their streak holds up to the homestand ending, but if it holds up to road play, they might be in that burst to the top now. They have arguably the best goalie in the league. They have a quality top 4 defense with an improving bottom pair. They have two all star centers and two all star wingers, among them the best goal scorer in the league. They have to be within the margin of error of the best team in the league. Theoretically, they could win the Stanley Cup this season. But, the name on the uniform....

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I feel this is a thinly veiled poop on brachyrynchos thread.:laugh:
Having seen what seems like every other team in the division/conference go further and succeed more, it gets frustrating. asking why not us year after year after year, and instead of excuses, I prefer to look for answers. Losing stinks, plain and simple. I've been waiting over 35 years for this team to win, and the one time they did get there, they lost to a far superior team, not having been close to being back, stinks. Especially with the players this team has had over the years.
Criticism and complaints are both necessary and warranted, just like praise and compliments. Is it all gloom? No, but there should always be the one goal, the one purpose of winning, and every action should lead to there.
This organization has done an amazing job when it comes to charitable causes, the players, the staff, and the fans, all deserve praise, Thank you. This front office has done a fantastic job of bringing in good guys, and what I mean is, no toxic players on the team, and no off ice issues that I know of.
I'm an armchair GM, I want this team to win, I want sustainable success, I have my way of thinking, my way of getting there, just like you have yours. We share the same destination, just different paths.
That being said, the only way to fix the Walker debacle and recuperate those lost assets is by moving Carlson right away! Cheers guys.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
there is nothing thinly veiled that can hide poop.

I feel your pain about the playoffs, but it would be good to see the reality. This group since MacLellan arrived is a generational team. They have been good enough to win the Cup each season and winning more than once was not crazy.

The Capitals will never have a better team that this one(meaning the Trotz era teams). The last team as good as this one was Scotty Bowman's mid 70s Habs.

We need look no further than the Nationals to see the effect of repeated playoff choking has on excellent teams. Until the Caps clean the slate and field a team that hasn't lived through was even Orpik, Niskanen and Holtby have, they have to carry that extra weight. Its a burden.

The answer is not to have a better team. They will never have a better team. They need to do something different as a team to get the monkey off their back or they need to wash the monkey off with players that have only heard that the Caps are choking dogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrGone

mugscoffee

Jul 2, 2017
Little background before I start.

I started following hockey when I was extremely young. My step dad was a personal trainer to some players on the Mighty Ducks when David Karpa played for them. My bro and I would go under the Pond and see the players pull up in their insane cars and shake their hands. It was amazing.

My step pulled away from hockey and got into training middle schoolers and high schoolers with some pros in the mix but it wasn’t hockey anymore. I then had other things to worry about but down the road I discovered Frozen Fury with my real dad and that hooked us into the Kings. Been a fan of the Kings since 2005 and still followed the Ducks a little. I got into the Ducks again when they traded for my fav player Pronger. I still can’t believe it happened and I’m still so sad of the injuries he had.

I was in high school when the Ducks won the Cup and I was married when the Kings won in 2014. My wife and I were moving to VA in 2015 so we started following the Caps in 2014 a little then after we made the move is when we got into them hardcore. I always loved Ovi and Backstrom and with the signing of Williams (Kings) and trade for Oshie we were getting very excited.

I can’t imagine what some of you or all of you feel about the last two seasons because I’ve been insanely lucky to see three Stanley Cups but I still can’t belive the Caps couldn’t get the job done. The last two years the Caps had the roster to easily get the job done especially last season with the Pens being a little injured. It’s very sad and it was hard to see Williams leave but I still love this team and it’s going to be fun watching them in their transition. We are still very happy we get to see one of the greatest goal scorers of all time. It’s been a fun time so far and we love Capital One Arena and Chinatown Express. I can’t get enough of that little restaurant :).

The Caps just need to keep making the playoffs and something could come out of it. Out of the three Cups I’ve seen, the only one I knew would happen is when the Ducks won in 2007. Both Kings Cups I had no idea we’re going to happen especially in 2014. I still can’t get over that playoff series vs Chicago.

I still feel like this last summer was a huge disaster and could’ve been done differently. It seems like management wasn’t sure on anything they did but it’s over with now and we all have to move on.

Ps - We have two kids. Boy with the middle name Anze and a girl with the first name Perry. My wife liked the name Perry for a girl and Corey Perry is the only player she likes on the Ducks. She never got into that team. We need a third for a Caps player.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I was referring to the post above mine. What I mean is that they won't be a contender for a whole lot longer, and even though they most likely won't win the Cup this year, we should just enjoy what we have now: a team that's fun to watch most nights and in all likelihood the best player this franchise will ever have.

You should take things less seriously.

That wasn't so hard, was it?

If we're going to be giving each other advice, I'd recommend you try and be more clear with what you are trying to say.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Dr. Rids,

I'm having a hard time accepting the Capitals success the last few games. My television used to be riddled with damage from thrown remotes but now it just sits there, showing me goals. Any advice?

-Hopeless in HoCo

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Dr. Rids,

I'm having a hard time accepting the Capitals success the last few games. My television used to be riddled with damage from thrown remotes but now it just sits there, showing me goals. Any advice?

-Hopeless in HoCo

Dear Hopeless,

I understand. Listen, this is the Barry Trotz led Capitals we are talking about. Opportunities for anger and frustration are always around the corner, so be patient.

Failing that, you could invite a few of the posters from this board over to your house and watch a game or 2. As the game goes on and you listen to their commentary -- you will probably want to throw your remote at them, thus giving you 2 options to diffuse your angst?

Good luck as always!

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Pot shots are fun.

Care to make an actual statement about the team, that's yours? On paper in front of the group?

Or is that too painful as well?
I'm enjoying this season more than last season. Sure we had a great regular season last year. The team seems more energetic this season especially the past 10 games or so. I'm enjoying watching some young players develope and enjoying watching this team improve as the season goes on. I think Trotz has done a great job mixing up his lines and sitting players when it was needed. Still room for improvement but I think this team is still a legitimate cup contender.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Went to my first game in 83 at the old cap center in Landover. I've been hardcore caps from Gartner to Hunter to Bondra to Kono to Ovie. Outside the first couple years I've watched it all unfold from the Easter Epic to last years 0-2 no show. I cried when Jueau beat Hasek in OT completing a comeback and sending us to the finals. I broke a TV remote when Lupul beat us in OT during game 7 in 08.

With all that said, the last two years have been the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. The last two teams along with the 09/10 team were the most confident I've been heading into the playoffs, and so they were the most disappointing when we failed. Man that 09/10 team seemed to be able to score whenever they wanted. So to know we don't have one of those teams right now is a bit disappointing, but I can't be too upset. I've seen a lot of bad hockey from DC and this team is still pretty good. I'm also very happy so far with the progress of the young guys. I was really nervous they would stink up the joint and we would have no wear to go roster wise. Every year we see teams have kids you've never heard of step up and play good hockey. We can be that team this year. My expectations are not as high, but right now the team is meeting them and I'm happy.

We also need to be thankful we still have time with Ovie/Nicky. We are not Detriot/Chicago/Montreal/Pitt. So to have two guys of their caliber play their career here is amazing. For guys like that to go through the early rebuild, multiple coaches like hunter/oates, different styles of hockey, a second rebuild, and still stay a cap? Never complained, never bitched, loved the city, promoted the game and the team, on and on. We are blessed to have them. If the loudest recorded cheer in CapCenter/Verizon/Capital One history isn't when they lift the 8 and 19 to the rafters it will be a tragedy. ....outside of lifting a cup that is.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
  • I’m happy that Ovie seems to be taking conditioning more seriously and that he’s skating so much better. I really like him as a person and appreciate how much he has done for the franchise.
  • Backstrom is awesome in every way and there’s no player in the NHL who does all the little things better than him. I used to think he was a robot but I loved his “well they’d better” comment recently when told that Wilson and Ovechkin were talking about getting him the puck more.
  • Kuznetsov had better make the All star game this year. He created offensive no matter who he plays with. And the self fist bump can finally replace Perreault’s rave party as the most lovable Caps gif.
  • I’m happy Orpik is a positive player this year. If we happen to make the Cup Finals I think he will play a huge role. He deserves a break from us. He plays hard and has found his game this year.
  • I like Trotz and am glad he seems to be discarding some of his annoying tendencies. He needs to figure out long changes in the 2nd period. We continue to get steamrolled every game it seems. I don’t think he’s a great game coach by any stretch but he carries himself and the organization professionally and treats his players respectfully and I think that goes a long way.
  • I’m impressed with DSP. He’s been great.
  • I feel like Burakovsky is not getting it and we should move on if we can get some value. I love his shot and he earned some credit for his “fight” before the injury but ultimately I think his potential will remain untapped here. He doesn’t seem to be progressing from year to year.
This season is fun. We’ve already had some downs - injuries, Grubauer struggling, young defense mistakes, some questionable GM decisions in the offseason related to Mojo and Vegas. And now it’s coming together and it seems like our leaders are leading. Historically our leadership has been called out and I feel like Ovie’s offseason dedication must have brought him more credibility. It shows on the ice and I’m sure It carries into the locker room. He’s finally all growed up!

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Ovechkin and Co provided a decade of entertainment for me. Surely I can handle some more 2nd round exits to watch them play. Easily.

When it's unwatchable I'm trying to watch less. When they're on fire - it's fun.

Lets go Caps.

PS: But, yeah, if it was Cup or bust - I'd go for Fire Leonsis chants in red font.

PPS: Getting to Boston to watch G7 live could be one of the best events in my life. I value that too.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
There was a lot of negative commentary going into this season from hockey analysts and HF community. While there is no denying that Caps lost valuable players in the off season but a team is a sum of players that are still here and not players that have left. Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Eller is a top-3 center group in the league. Ovechkin, Oshie, Vrana, Burakovsky is a wicked group to round out the top-6. Orlov, Niskanen, Carlson, Orpik are not the greatest defense in the league but it's enough to make the playoffs.

Playoff loss last year hurt, no question about it. While I was not worried about talent level of this line up, I was afraid of apathy. If you are a part of the core, how do you motivate yourself to be the best you can be? What is it that you can do differently this season to achieve greater success? For players like Ovechkin, Backstrom, Carlson, Holtby it cannot be easy to see a path to success and a Stanley Cup. It's a testament to the coaching stuff and leadership group of this team that they put a hard stop to lazy, disinterested, penalty filled play after the awful loss in Colorado. There is good energy and swagger surrounding the Caps now and we don't have to dig ourselves out from the bottom of the standings. Good thing, considering the insane nature of our division.

So, that's all good. However, I still have to ask why will this team succeed where past ones failed? Can you imagine Caps having to face Pens in the playoffs again? There is only so much losing that a core of players can go through before they are no longer confident of victory.

Caps are a younger team this year and they are set to become even younger next season. Jay Beagle will be put out to pasture after this season, Orpik after next one. Lars Eller might no be re-signed and who knows what the future holds for John Carlson.

Is it perhaps time to envision the future of this team with a different core group? People will get very angry at me for saying this but I wonder what this team would like without Nicklas Backstrom. He is 30 years old and is signed for two more years after this one on a very nice $6.7m per season deal. His value is immense. With Kuznetsov on the roster, Caps are in a position where they can sacrifice a little bit of quality from top-2 centers. There might be an opportunity to completely re-envision this team and improve what is a very mediocre farm system while also creating some much needed cap room. Backstrom is one the greatest players this franchise has ever seen and his number will be up in the rafters when it's all said and done. However, after a decade of playoff disappointments something gotta give.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->