How Do You Feel...about the Caps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
It really isnt any different. Why don't you move it if it is an issue?

Because then people complain about moved threads. This one was started because another one intended to funnel all negative comments was closed. We let it go so it would play out.

I forgot we even had a general discussion thread. Hasn't been used in a month.

I personally think this thread is about feelings, and less about lines and acquisitions. So it's different than the Roster thread. Not necessarily news or notes either.

Do we really have a general discussion thread?

The roster thread is the default general discussion thread about this team as you know. It exists in it's 23423th incarnation because 90% of our threads end up being about the same topics eventually. I let this one go just to see how long it would take for that to happen, and so the reasons for the previous thread management can be illustrated. You cannot separate "feelings" from everything just like you can't separate "complaining" or "negativity".

So we'll listen to reasons to keep this open but if it's just a duplicate or replacement for the general/roster/etc thread then there's no need for it and we'll close it.

Last edited:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
When you said, clocked, I assume the others are "clocked" to.
They are clocked and during a game Wilson was clocked at a higher speed than anyone so far. Its hard to get to full speed during a game so there could be guys on the team faster but just haven't gotten to top speed during a game.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Because then people complain about moved threads. This one was started because another one intended to funnel all negative comments was closed. We let it go so it would play out.

The roster thread is the default general discussion thread about this team as you know. It exists in it's 23423th incarnation because 90% of our threads end up being about the same topics eventually. I let this one go just to see how long it would take for that to happen, and so the reasons for the previous thread management can be illustrated. You cannot separate "feelings" from everything just like you can't separate "complaining" or "negativity".

So we'll listen to reasons to keep this open but if it's just a duplicate or replacement for the general/roster/etc thread then there's no need for it and we'll close it.

Remind me the harm again of having more than like 5 active threads? Obv 5 is tongue in cheek, but it seems like it, save game threads that invariably get closed ASAP

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Remind me the harm again of having more than like 5 active threads? Obv 5 is tongue in cheek, but it seems like it, save game threads that invariably get closed ASAP

It's standard policy to not have redundant threads for obvious reasons. From the general HF site rules (emphasis added):

7) Forum Management: Threads and posts that are redundant, in the wrong forum, or deemed unnecessary per the assessment of moderators are subject to being merged, moved, edited, deleted or closed. Thread titles must be as specific and informative as possible (no clickbait) and first posts must provide relevant commentary (“discuss” is not enough, for example). One account is allowed per user and you are responsible for what’s posted from your account. Please check the sticky threads at the top of each forum for any forum specific rules. If a moderator gives you a specific instruction in a warning, and you blatantly disregard it, you are subject to an account review.

Every thread that isn't specific or strong enough in its premise turns into a general discussion and/or veers off topic. So we solved that problem long ago by tacitly accepting one main thread, though by nature we seem to have a few other satellite threads. We would love to have more quality threads but they have to be able to stand on their own.

From our local rules (emphasis added):

8) Starting Threads/Injury & Fantasy Questions/Etc. – All users who aren't restricted in some way can start threads. We just ask that the topic be unique and/or newsworthy enough to warrant its own thread. Check the existing threads and use the search function to see if your topic fits somewhere already. We have several ongoing threads that are likely to cover most of the basics (roster, lines, contracts, league news, player discussions, injuries, fantasy, etc). Please post there if your topic or question fits those categories, as this keeps our discussions linear and helps prevent confusion and cross-posting. Visiting fans should limit questions about lines/fantasy/etc and should not start threads on the subject. Try sites like this first: NHL Starting Goalies | Saturday, December 16, 2017 We typically start GDTs the morning of a game. Anyone can start one, and there is no set rule about how elaborate it can or can't be (within the rules), but "minimalism" has been an HFCaps tradition. Just include the teams, time, date and so forth in the title and keep it tasteful. Pregame talk on non-gamedays usually takes place in other threads.

It's not that we can't have a bunch of threads, it's that they rarely stay unique for long. And when you have several threads about the same thing people end up repeating themselves and getting confused about the topics and people they're talking to. They become frustrated and either disengage from the site or start attacking each other. Over the last few years we've tried to promote intelligent discussion among this tight, knowledgeable community. We want to allow more leeway for topics but we don't want to backslide into the aforementioned saturation situation, either.

In this case this thread was an admitted second attempt to create a sort of fan purity test and negativity dumping ground because you did not like what people were saying in other threads. Normally such a thread would be shut down right away, especially since it was in response to another thread being closed. But we gave it a chance. So...

What is your vision for this thread? Are you asking people to not express negative opinions in other threads, and instead post them here? Or are you looking for people to post their feelings in multiple threads, creating redundancy in both emoting and eventually discussions?

What is the case for keeping this thread unique and active? Convince me to keep it open.

Last edited:

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
It's standard policy to not have redundant threads for obvious reasons. From the general HF site rules (emphasis added):

Every thread that isn't specific or strong enough in its premise turns into a general discussion and/or veers off topic. So we solved that problem long ago by tacitly accepting one main thread, though by nature we seem to have a few other satellite threads. We would love to have more quality threads but they have to be able to stand on their own.

It's not that we can't have a bunch of threads, it's that they rarely stay unique for long. And when you have several threads about the same thing people end up repeating themselves and getting confused about the topics and people they're talking to. They become frustrated and either disengage from the site or start attacking each other. Over the last few years we've tried to promote intelligent discussion among this tight, knowledgeable community. We want to allow more leeway for topics but we don't want to backslide into the aforementioned saturation situation, either.

In this case this thread was an admitted second attempt to create a sort of fan purity test and negativity dumping ground because you did not like what people were saying in other threads. Normally such a thread would be shut down right away, especially since it was in response to another thread being closed. But we gave it a chance. So...

What is your vision for this thread? Are you asking people to not express negative opinions in other threads, and instead post them here? Or are you looking for people to post their feelings in multiple threads, creating redundancy in both emoting and eventually discussions?

What is the case for keeping this thread unique and active? Convince me to keep it open.

No reason to keep this puppy...

Shut her down, Chief.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Well. It's getting used? The News and Notes thread isn't.

Or perhaps that doesn't matter

Edit - seems like people are talking hockey here. Not trades, FA stuff, etc. just Caps hockey. Sorts like what I think the News and Notes thread should be.

Do what you want. It's no skin off my nose if you think it's redundant. My opinion is biased anyway.

Last edited:

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
In case that’s supposed to be a jab at me. I like Trotz and think he’s a good coach. I said so earlier in the thread. When I say “Trotz being Trotz” I mean that Vrana gets sat for taking a penalty to try and teach him a lesson even though he’s generally having a great game. It’s consistent with the way Trotz has managed young players throughout his career and I think he should get over himself a little. Vrana hasn’t taken many penalties and that one wasn’t egregious. He didn’t need to be punished for that one if that’s what was happening.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well. It's getting used? The News and Notes thread isn't.

Or perhaps that doesn't matter

Edit - seems like people are talking hockey here. Not trades, FA stuff, etc. just Caps hockey. Sorts like what I think the News and Notes thread should be.

Do what you want. It's no skin off my nose if you think it's redundant. My opinion is biased anyway.

The news and notes thread is just a local article thread that's continued from previous ones. It's there if people can't find a place for a general article about the area/team/etc. or if mods need to move something to it. For example maybe Oshie does something for charity and there's a good article on it. If it doesn't get its own thread it probably fits there, or maybe an Oshie thread. If it becomes outmoded we'll just let it die. Most of the Caps hockey conversations take place in other threads and we all are fine with this.

But that thread has nothing to do with whether or not this one stays. Most of the posts in this thread have been about the team, fandom, rosters, lines, coaching moves, and all the stuff we put in other threads that are long-running or more specific, and not about the questionable, mostly personal premise you listed in the OP.

We have a caps history thread people should use more, a few coaching threads, a lines/roster/etc thread, and so forth. All of those make the hockey talk here redundant.

We will close this one and I will modify the roster/etc thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad