News Article: How do you feel about an ad on the ole Blue Blanc et Rouge?

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
Just waiting for the day (probably 10ish years) where the sponsor takes the middle of the jersey and teams have small crests like in football (soccer)

This won't happen. Soccer jerseys always had a small offset crest so the ad placement was natural. They're not gonna suddenly shrink the Habs logo and move it to the corner of the jersey, lol.

Everyone is freaking out but this is such a non issue. They are going to end up with ads on the front and probably shoulders next, then I see it basically stopping there.

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
The lesson I take from this is that the marketing departments of every single major company is terrifying. It not even concrete and already the legions of pro-corporation posters are everywhere telling everyone how squeezing every single drop of money possible doesn't ruin the game, but actually makes it better. Marketing departments barely seem to be doing their own job but instead using the online crowd to market in their place 'This is an entirely nothing issue, it's just a small crest. You're overacting just like time you thought letting helmet ads go would lead to jersey ads lol.'

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
The lesson I take from this is that the marketing departments of every single major company is terrifying. It not even concrete and already the legions of pro-corporation posters are everywhere telling everyone how squeezing every single drop of money possible doesn't ruin the game, but actually makes it better. Marketing departments barely seem to be doing their own job but instead using the online crowd to market in their place 'This is an entirely nothing issue, it's just a small crest. You're overacting just like time you thought letting helmet ads go would lead to jersey ads lol.'

Strawman argument for sure. We knew they would end up with ads on the jerseys. As soon as the NBA did it the cat was out of the bag. I just... don't care that much. There are ads literally everywhere in life now. It sucks, but this isn't some new betrayal from the NHL, nor will it diminish your enjoyment of the sport.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
Molson just needs to "buy" the Habs Jersey ad space, do nothing with it, bury the cost in Molson-Coors' accounting and then use a Special Purpose Vehicle to make the Leafs an offer they can't refuse for their ad space.

He can call the SPV "Wayne Kerrs Associates" perhaps. I'm sure there are plenty of suitable emoji icons out there he could use.

I think I'm coming around to the idea.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I would have been totally against it 10 years ago. Today I could care less. A logo like most Soccer teams as the main crest would be fine. Anything more than that like most European hockey teams would be horrible.

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
Not a fan of ads on any pieces of equipment so personally i'd prefer not to but since what i think doesn't really matter I'll have to live and get used to it i guess

I just hope they won't become skating billboards as another poster mentioned. That would disgust me . It's so f***ing ugly i hate that with a passion

Clippy

Sep 22, 2011
One thing I liked about watching the Olympics was the lack of adds on the field, track, etc. I thought it was refreshing in a way

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
It wouldn't make a difference to me. They would look stupid but I would still watch hockey.

kalessin

Jun 11, 2007
Thanks for letting me know how ill feel about it.

Contrary to your post not everyone puts so little value in the aesthetics and character of the sport as you do.

Sorry, I don't believe you actually care . I know it's nice to feel self righteous, but if this is what's driving you away from the sport you didn't like it anyway

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Sorry, I don't believe you actually care . I know it's nice to feel self righteous, but if this is what's driving you away from the sport you didn't like it anyway

You said you don't believe one's enjoyment of the game would actually be diminished. Quite a stretch from driving me away from the game. I know straw-manning is a way of life on here, but this is a weak attempt.

Also your post is quite ironically self-righteous :thumbu:

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Can't see it if it will look anything like the uniforms the Swedes, Czechs or Germans wear. Tacky, gaudy and insulting to the history of each team. Come on, do they really need the money that badly?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I would have been totally against it 10 years ago. Today I could care less. A logo like most Soccer teams as the main crest would be fine. Anything more than that like most European hockey teams would be horrible.

I think it's complete crap that soccer teams do not have their main logo on the front of their chest. If I ran the MLS I would forgid any sponsor replacing it.

As for the Habs, I am completely against putting anything on it. It's bloody sacrilegeous.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

People are sheeps and have no morals.

Let's roll over whatever figure of authority decides to do something.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
Disgusting and an embarrassment to the crest. I would boycott the company (not that they would care though). Thank god I got my jersey before this hoopla begins.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
Can't see it if it will look anything like the uniforms the Swedes, Czechs or Germans wear. Tacky, gaudy and insulting to the history of each team. Come on, do they really need the money that badly?

Rich people always want more money, they never have enough. Expect more ads in the future.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

domiwroze

Nov 14, 2014
We, Millionaires, ain't rich enough! Let us ruin centuries of history just to make a couple more mills even thought none of us need it!

Boo-f***ing-Hoo. As if these guys will go bankrupt without these 1-5M ads.

This is blasphemy on the rich history of the NHL. No argument can change my mind specially since the end goal is only to get these f***ers richer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad