Proposal: How do we rebuild?

Marchy63

Sep 16, 2006
Oshawa
I think they need a true #2 center as I don't feel Krejci is the answer anymore. They definitely need more skill upfront especially on the right side. Need to move on from Backes somehow, maybe package him with a prospect or pick. Last thing is a little more size toughness on the back end.

I don't see them fixing everything this offseason, but hopefully they can address at least the RW position sooner rather than later

Reactions: Strafer

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I’d love to see Heinen traded for someone bigger, but no GM is going to trade a Josh Anderson for Heinen right now. Either way he should be gone, his effect on most games was neutral. They need more physicality.

Move him at thee draft for Virtanan. Both teams say yes and see if the Bruins can get more out of him.

All in on Hall.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Krejci had a good season on paper.

73 points in the regular season.

I guess you can’t really ask for much more from your second line center.

And yet, I find that I’m very frustrated watching him.

I guess maybe the grass isn’t greener elsewhere.

Reactions: Save By Thomas

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
Go back in time and draft barzal, Chabot and Connor

Well, Zboril was considered the best remaining D-prospect, but even if they had taken him instead of Chabot, the remaining outcome of Barzal and Connor would be looking pretty awesome today.
The 2015 draft is gonna haunt us in the near future. We have been able to disguise it with the top talent on this team, but it's gonna become a glaring weakness as soon as we need top centers to replace Bergeron and Krejci.

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
Go back in time and draft barzal, Chabot and Connor

Ooooooooffffffff.... BTW, I blame Sweeney more that any other individual.

This team has never had the right mix and lost in the finals to mediocre goalie, a great D core, and two good face-off men (O'Rielly and Schenn).

They need a couple big, fast, mean, determined, wingers with game to apply the pressure on the opposition D and wear them down for the skilled players of the Bruins. The Blues D had too easy a time this series.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Taylor Hall is the only guy reasonably available who could keep us in the upper echelon for the next few years. Worth giving up a couple firsts and high prospects for. But I don't think NJ even listens to offers despite the rumors.

I guess Kessel is on the block too but I don't see that happening.

Otherwise, you just have to hope you hit on the draft and find more McAvoys and Pastrnaks and less Zach Hamills and Zach Senyshyns.

Reactions: Lo97

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
I got some thoughts but I’m going to take a day or 2 to process. Definitely not a rebuild. Tweaks, but with a core piece being moved out definitely not out of the question.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
Buying out backes is not an option with his contract structure as I understand
No it isn’t I had someone explain it to me ,there stuck with him ,well unless they can find another team who needs to get to the cap minimum maybe .Bruins would probably have to absorb a portion of his salary and probably throw in a pick.But other wise they are stuck with him for another season.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Ooooooooffffffff.... BTW, I blame Sweeney more that any other individual.

This team has never had the right mix and lost in the finals to mediocre goalie, a great D core, and two good face-off men (O'Rielly and Schenn).

They need a couple big, fast, mean, determined, wingers with game to apply the pressure on the opposition D and wear them down for the skilled players of the Bruins. The Blues D had too easy a time this series.

Yeah Sweeney wasn't the brightest with his decisions, don't hang your heads too hard Boston faithful, hell of a run and I have no doubt you guys will bounce back one way or another.

zaYG

Nerevarine
Jun 29, 2012
Santa Cruz, CA
In a perfect world.

- Find a way to move Backes, even if they eat some money.

- Use some assets to get a true 2RW (Hall).

- Make a decision on Krug, and frankly the logjam on D as a whole.

- Re-sign Johansson if they have a reasonable deal. He's a perfect middle six winger.

They desperately need a top 6 C prospect in the system. Love Studnicka, but not sure if hes that.
yes to all of this

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
I think they need a true #2 center as I don't feel Krejci is the answer anymore. They definitely need more skill upfront especially on the right side. Need to move on from Backes somehow, maybe package him with a prospect or pick. Last thing is a little more size toughness on the back end.

I don't see them fixing everything this offseason, but hopefully they can address at least the RW position sooner rather than later
The problem is that they're going to need a #1 centre fairly soon too (not next year, but sooner rather than later). WTF are they going to get a #1 and a #2 centre (the leafs have em, so does TB). The D will be fine, but the fwds?

Reactions: Lo97

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Some of these posts make me wish we had a hate button.

They are not going to rebuild. They were the second best team in hockey in the regular season, and lost in the finals.

I do think they have some decisions to make.

Krug or Gryz. They could go one more year with both, but I just don't think you can lock them both up longterm, and both are going to need longterm Big money deals after next season. Personally I move Gryz.

2nd Line RW. The one real hole. Can they get someone younger tougher with some scoring for the position? I don't want mid career roster filler types (looking at you Tyler Toffoli)

Heinen or Johansson. I tend to think only one will be back next year. Heinen will be less expensive, but if you could get Johanssen at a reasonable deal which would allow you to use Heinen as a key piece elsewhere, well it is an option

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
Some of these posts make me wish we had a hate button.

They are not going to rebuild. They were the second best team in hockey in the regular season, and lost in the finals.

I do think they have some decisions to make.

Krug or Gryz. They could go one more year with both, but I just don't think you can lock them both up longterm, and both are going to need longterm Big money deals after next season. Personally I move Gryz.

2nd Line RW. The one real hole. Can they get someone younger tougher with some scoring for the position? I don't want mid career roster filler types (looking at you Tyler Toffoli)

Heinen or Johansson. I tend to think only one will be back next year. Heinen will be less expensive, but if you could get Johanssen at a reasonable deal which would allow you to use Heinen as a key piece elsewhere, well it is an option
Yeah, they don't have to rebuild for next year. They'll be better next year with just having a 3rd line centre, plus whatever else they do. But so what? Even if they are better it doesn't mean they make it back.

And after that? What's the 5-year plan? Again, D will be fine, but what about the forwards, especially the centres?

Reactions: Lo97 and Strafer

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, they don't have to rebuild for next year. They'll be better next year with just having a 3rd line centre, plus whatever else they do. But so what? Even if they are better it doesn't mean they make it back.

And after that? What's the 5-year plan? Again, D will be fine, but what about the forwards, especially the centres?

The 5 year plan may in fact mean there may be bad seasons in year 3 and 4.

Given the choice of trying to win next year, or trying to make sure we are a postseason team in 4 years, I will choose to maximize next year.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The 5 year plan may in fact mean there may be bad seasons in year 3 and 4.

Given the choice of trying to win next year, or trying to make sure we are a postseason team in 4 years, I will choose to maximize next year.
Yes, you try to win next year - you still have Bergy etc. But what's after that? You can go all in next year and not make the Final.

iReckless

Apr 29, 2013
New Hampshire
Screen-Shot-2019-06-13-at-12-54-24-AM.png

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Suffice it to say, that was a disappointing end.

We have way too many passengers on this team....five of which play in our top six.

Should Sweeney bite the bullet and initiate a massive rebuild? Or is this team a couple of pieces away?

This loss stings more than 2013. And the main reason we lost is the same as we did then...the core.

My first move is see about getting some new fans for the team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad