How Do Flyers Lineup Next Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange and Black

Dec 13, 2006
Philadelphia
WHAT THE **** !!!!!!!!!!!!

I know he will be back, but **** me this sucks. He's 22 years old, make the damn room.

I get that he missed last year. I get that they have too many guys under contract. But, for me, Ghost was far and away the best D-man out there. It sucks to play your way into a spot only to be sent down because of asinine contracts.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I get that he missed last year. I get that they have too many guys under contract. But, for me, Ghost was far and away the best D-man out there. It sucks to play your way into a spot only to be sent down because of asinine contracts.

I would say in pre-season that Medvedev has been the only guy better than Ghost overall.

But in terms of D Ghost needs work, give him a month or so in the AHL, and if he can continue doing what he did in his limited showing last year for a month or so then he will be in the NHL.

With the state of the franchise at the moment there is no point rushing him into the team after a good pre-season vs teams of similar quality to the top AHL teams... the risk is far greater than the reward and we have no need to take the risk at this venture.

It is simply pragmatism really.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I would say in pre-season that Medvedev has been the only guy better than Ghost overall.

But in terms of D Ghost needs work, give him a month or so in the AHL, and if he can continue doing what he did in his limited showing last year for a month or so then he will be in the NHL.

With the state of the franchise at the moment there is no point rushing him into the team after a good pre-season vs teams of similar quality to the top AHL teams... the risk is far greater than the reward and we have no need to take the risk at this venture.

It is simply pragmatism really.

I agree. One thing for sure is he'll get the icetime in the AHL to improve along with the other prospects.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Everyone needs to calm down about Ghost being sent down. As others have mentioned, there is absolutely no reason to rush him when he can go to the AHL, play top pairing minutes, and work on his defensive game, which still needs polishing.

Scoring goals against B squads in the preseason, while exciting, doesn't mean he is going to jump right into games against A squads and have the same impact.

I do see him being a full-time Flyer before the end of this upcoming season though.

Trust the process!!

B. Schenn looked really good last night. Would love to see that type of hunger from him night in, night out. That's what is lacking from his game overall.

Our powerplay is absurd. Being able to watch the puck movement 3 rows behind the net last night was a thing of beauty.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Everyone needs to calm down about Ghost being sent down. As others have mentioned, there is absolutely no reason to rush him when he can go to the AHL, play top pairing minutes, and work on his defensive game, which still needs polishing.

Scoring goals against B squads in the preseason, while exciting, doesn't mean he is going to jump right into games against A squads and have the same impact.

I do see him being a full-time Flyer before the end of this upcoming season though.

Trust the process!!

B. Schenn looked really good last night. Would love to see that type of hunger from him night in, night out. That's what is lacking from his game overall.

Our powerplay is absurd. Being able to watch the puck movement 3 rows behind the net last night was a thing of beauty.

Gagner and Medvedev have also clearly made PP2 look better... Gagner has been meh at EV barring a few high-skilled plays... but he has looked good on the PP.

Simmonds
Giroux - Raffl - Voracek
Streit

then

Gagner -- Schenn -- Couturier
Del Zotto -- Medvedev

Would be the best 2nd PP we have rolled out since ~2011, and in turn the best overall PP group we have had since then.

uakena

Dec 27, 2014
Ghost is smart dude and I'm sure he will not only understand the move made by Hexy but use it to hone his skills and round out his game. He did say that he tries to model his game after Duncan Keith and not Justin Schultz or Mdz. Btw Keith spent two full seasons in Ahl before making the jump.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Gagner and Medvedev have also clearly made PP2 look better... Gagner has been meh at EV barring a few high-skilled plays... but he has looked good on the PP.

Simmonds
Giroux - Raffl - Voracek
Streit

then

Del Zotto -- Medvedev

Would be the best 2nd PP we have rolled out since ~2011, and in turn the best overall PP group we have had since then.

Just one more reason this group is already close to being a playoff team in my opinion.

Improved puck-movement and mobility from D at ES.
Improved coaching.
Improved back-up goaltender.
Improved PP2.

If they can move Streit at the deadline and call-up Gostisbehere to replace him, I will be very pleased with Hexy.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Ghost is smart dude and I'm sure he will not only understand the move made by Hexy but use it to hone his skills and round out his game. He did say that he tries to model his game after Duncan Keith and not Justin Schultz or Mdz. Btw Keith spent two full seasons in Ahl before making the jump.

Keith was 20 and 21 in his AHL seasons and Ghost is already 22, but still a valid point.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Ghost missed also a full season, though.

If he played 65 AHL games last season instead of 5 things might be different now.

uakena

Dec 27, 2014
Thinking about it, we just recently turned from a team, that would have Rosehill with Rinaldo on 4th line together and Grosmann bringing down second pairing with occasional Hal Gill appearance to boot to a team that has depth to form 2 serviceable/abve average 4th lines and Hal Gill would have a problem to crack a #10 at d depth chart with a glut of exciting prospects and I would say we are definitely moving into right direction.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
College players are on a different time line, they get at most 2 full seasons if they stay in college, usually less (depending if they start as freshmen), so while they play against more physical mature players, they play far fewer games when they come out. So figure they're 1-2 years behind guys who start in the juniors at 17. And Ghost lost another year to injury.

So at 22 he's about where you'd expect a juniors kid to be at 20. And watching him in the exhibition games, he's probably NHL ready on a team with less depth at D, but a half season to a year in the AHL won't hurt his development.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California

Simmonds
Giroux - Raffl - Voracek
Streit

then

Del Zotto -- Medvedev

If Laughton cracks the roster I'd like to see him on the right half wall instead of Couturier and take Del Zotto off of the unit altogether.

Couturier
Gagner - Schenn - Laughton
Medvedev

Couturier does pretty good work close to the net. From the small sample size last season Laughton showed that he was capable of making things happen while on the right wall.

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Raffl - Giroux - Voracek
Gagner - Lecavalier - Simmonds
Read - Couturier - B.Schenn
Bellemare - White - VDV
Porter

Del Zotto - Schultz
Streit - MacDonald
Medvedev - Gudas
Manning

L.Schenn and Umberger - goodbye. If they remain in roster, we will have many problems

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I agree about Vinny, but i think Dave make him 2nd line centre.

Based off of what? He certainly hasn't earned it in preseason, which is what Hakstol is all about.

Couturier will be the 2nd line center.

Lecavalier has an outside chance at starting the year as the 3rd line center, but Hakstol has been raving about Laughton so I think that will go to him. He's a faster, more physical, and better defensive center.

If Lecavalier cracks the lineup, it will be as the 4th line RW.

Last edited:

ValeriKamensky

May 8, 2013
Based off of what? He certainly hasn't earned it in preseason, which is what Hakstol is all about.

Couturier will be the 2nd line center.

Lecavalier has an outside chance at starting the year as the 3rd line center, but Hakstol has been raving about Laughton so I think that will go to him. He's a faster, more physical, and better defensive center.

If Lecavalier cracks the lineup, it will be as the 4th line RW.

I think we must trade Vinny or use him in offensive. I listen rumors about trade all the year around, but nothing happenes. I think nobody needs Lecavalier. Most likely he remain in roster. If Vinny in roster, only weak coach can use him in 4th line.

We can start a conversation about Laughton/Causins/anyyoungcenter when Lecavalier will be in other team. But now he is orange-and-black, whether we like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad