How Do Flyers Lineup Next Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My guess is Luke Schenn's moved in the upcoming weeks. Gudas looks fine after coming back from injury & Medvedev seems to be fine transitioning to the NHL.

Boston could be a team to look at with injuries to Chara & Seidenberg.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think Porter should make the team really. How or in what capacity I do not know.

Guy is defensively sound, can be an extra man on the PK. I actually think looking at it objectively he is a better overall 5v5 player than VandeVelde... but not as good on PK.

McDonald won't ofc, he is better offensively than Porter but he is really a bit of a tweener, works hard and has offensive ability... but not enough to be top 6, and his D is not great, and he does not PK.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
My guess is Luke Schenn's moved in the upcoming weeks. Gudas looks fine after coming back from injury & Medvedev seems to be fine transitioning to the NHL.

Yeah I think with Ghost and Hagg playing well, they might look to move Schenn earlier than expected. It would be nice to have him in case an injury occurs. But with Hagg looking good Defensively and Ghost offensively, they may look at it that they have an injury replacement waiting in the minors anyways.

I just hope we get ok value for him.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I think Porter should make the team really. How or in what capacity I do not know.

Guy is defensively sound, can be an extra man on the PK. I actually think looking at it objectively he is a better overall 5v5 player than VandeVelde... but not as good on PK.

McDonald won't ofc, he is better offensively than Porter but he is really a bit of a tweener, works hard and has offensive ability... but not enough to be top 6, and his D is not great, and he does not PK.

So who sits? If Laughton makes the team, it means one of Belle or White get sat as Umberger I think won't. And of course Vinny does and VDV gets sent down.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I think with Ghost and Hagg playing well, they might look to move Schenn earlier than expected. It would be nice to have him in case an injury occurs. But with Hagg looking good Defensively and Ghost offensively, they may look at it that they have an injury replacement waiting in the minors anyways.

I'm still thinking it will happen after camp. They still haven't seen these guys (Gudas & Medvedev) against full rosters or at least close to yet which I believe will be the final stage of the evaluation process.

My guess is Hagg's cut with the next wave of guys that will be. Gostisbehere I doubt is in direct competition with Schenn as they play two different roles. So I don't think either are factors in the decision making.

You have opposing teams likely still trying to find internal replacements right now since there's still a little time left before the season starts. They'll likely get more antsy when the season starts assuming they still haven't found a solution.

Last edited:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
So who sits? If Laughton makes the team, it means one of Belle or White get sat as Umberger I think won't. And of course Vinny does and VDV gets sent down.

Hence my second sentence!

I mean, I reckon:

Raffl -- Giroux -- Voracek
Read -- Couturier -- Simmonds
Gagner -- Laughton -- Schenn
Umberger -- Bellemare -- White

Is the opening night 12... I think it clearly should be on merit.

Vinny sits ofc.
So between Porter and VdV for 14th man really.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Not worth posting a link to the article, but Carchidi has Vinny as the "expected" third line center and states "surprisingly" Luke Schenn isn't in any of the top three pairings. What an idiot.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014

I mean, I reckon:

Vinny sits ofc.

I think this is probably correct if no one is traded.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009

I mean, I reckon:

Vinny sits ofc.

This seems most likely.

I think they wanted Simmonds with Couturier and as such, B.Schenn was put with Laughton to give him an opportunity to work defensively being on his off-wing and that is the only reason he is with Laughton (ie. not being punished). I also think the out-of-shape story is bs. Brayden has done Biosteel in the past and suddenly wouldn't have just decided to slack off the summer ahead of a contract year.

I also think they always thought Laughton more likely to win a job than Vinny to rebound and Vinny's line was never the third as our idiot beat writers have been saying. They put Vinny in a position where he couldn't wine and say he wasn't given a shot.

SchennSational1022*

Gudas has impressed me, he looks pretty good. B. Schenn looked great out there tonight, i'd definitely hang onto him.

And to agree with Appleyard, Porter should definitely be on this team over VDV.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Anyone think Hakstol moves Read off Couturier's line? Seems like he's had them playing separately this preseason from what I've been able to watch. Could see either Gagner or Umberger playing there instead. Gagner seems like he could be a good fit.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)

Heh, Sweeney traded a 3rd for Rinaldo, not sure what to expect for Luke :laugh:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I would want a 2nd, especially if they retain salary.

If they trade Schenn then I think Manning would be the #7 and get inserted into the lineup if there's an injury, and they might just call up Drewskie to be the healthy scratch.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I would want a 2nd, especially if they retain salary.

If they trade Schenn then I think Manning would be the #7 and get inserted into the lineup if there's an injury, and they might just call up Drewskie to be the healthy scratch.

I don't think there is a chance we get a 2nd for Schenn even if we retain.

Your scenario if an injury occurs works as well if the feel Manning is the better option than anyone in the AHL.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Selected quotes related to Gostisbehere:

"Hextall told me trust the process, and that's exactly what I'm going to do," Gostisbehere said. "Of course, there's no rush right now. Again, I know what I'm up against."

"Scoring goals is one thing, but I think they're looking at other things ... how my defense is maturing to a better, sound defenseman," Gostisbehere said.

"You can be as fast as you want," Gostisbehere said. "The puck's quicker. So you've got to be in position every time. My game's going to be different than the guy who's 6-5. I'm not going to move anyone in front of the net and put them on their back. So I'm just focusing on what I have to do: Play good sound defense."

Flyers coach Dave Hakstol likes a lot of what he's seen so far.

"You evaluate the total game," he said. "I'm very positive about the impact Shayne is having. He didn't have a good first couple days of camp, but he's working on his game and he's doing a good job.

"There are big positives to what he's bringing to the table. He's coming off a year where he didn't play a lot of hockey. When you evaluate some areas of the game, areas away from the puck, those are things he'll continue to work at."

http://www.nj.com/flyers/index.ssf/2015/09/flyers_shayne_gostisbehere_having_great_camp_but_k.html

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Haven't seen much at ES from Gagner so far outside of a solid finish on a great setup from Simmonds.

Tedeward

Jan 24, 2014
Philly

I mean, I reckon:

Vinny sits ofc.

This would be what I would want to happen but I dont think it could work under the 23 man roster rule. 14 forwards + 8 defenseman + 2 goalies = 24 players. I believe only ONE of Laughton, VDV, and Porter can stay up unless we trade a defenseman. Correct me if I'm wrong.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Actually, have to wonder if Gagner has earned a job, though they may be stuck with his $3M. I think Hakstol and Hextall will let it play out for the next 4 games and the first month of the season.

1) Ghost and Hagg had no chance of sticking, Ghost is the replacement for Streit, so it'll take a trade to open up his spot, even if Schenn is traded, Hagg has no spot, he's really the replacement for MacDonald.

2) If B Schenn stays at RW then the only open spot is 3rd line LW, and that comes down to Gagner, Umberger or Porter, and Porter/VV on the 4th line. Porter has size and speed, Umberger has size and is a better scorer, Gagner is less physical but more upside (however, at this point is it just a mirage?).

3) Vinnie can still shoot, but that's about it, and he's no Jagr, big forward who can control the puck in the offensive zone and compensate for a lack of speed and defense. Vinnie is just a JAG at best at this point. Cousins looks a lot better out there.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Actually, have to wonder if Gagner has earned a job, though they may be stuck with his $3M. I think Hakstol and Hextall will let it play out for the next 4 games and the first month of the season.

1) Ghost and Hagg had no chance of sticking, Ghost is the replacement for Streit, so it'll take a trade to open up his spot, even if Schenn is traded, Hagg has no spot, he's really the replacement for MacDonald.

2) If B Schenn stays at RW then the only open spot is 3rd line LW, and that comes down to Gagner, Umberger or Porter, and Porter/VV on the 4th line. Porter has size and speed, Umberger has size and is a better scorer, Gagner is less physical but more upside (however, at this point is it just a mirage?).

3) Vinnie can still shoot, but that's about it, and he's no Jagr, big forward who can control the puck in the offensive zone and compensate for a lack of speed and defense. Vinnie is just a JAG at best at this point. Cousins looks a lot better out there.

I do agree mostly.

All I would say is I cannot imagine Porter on the 3rd. I like him as a player but he is a 4th liner, just does not have the offensive ability for a top 9.

I reckon 3LW is Gagners most likely.

I reckon the 4LW slot is between Umberger, VdV & Porter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad