How Confident Are You In Babcock?

How Confident Are You in Babcock? (Read)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
I hated the guy before anyone, its almost hilarious seeing everyone pile on now. Shanahan, really screwed up hiring this guy.

We could see major fallout from this hiring in the not too distant future.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Babcock has a lot of weird quirks with ice time, but his misuse of muzzin is probably the worst. Dubas went to the trouble of finding him a top pairing dman without giving up a roster player, and Babcock won't use him because of handedness. It's embarrassing
Yeah I don't understand it. And it sucks that were gonna have to get eliminated in the first round again before he's fired. We are too predictable. The man has a grand total of zero tricks in his sleeve.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
I wonder if Babs tells Dubas and Shanny he can't hear them with his gold medals in his ears...

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Haha I think the players wanting Babs out was a big indication of his tenure there. And it seems like the players here (Matthews) are ready to see him go as well
Yup, IIRC Datsyuk and Zetterberg were hesitant to re-sign there due to Babcock. And now, all one has to do is look at his relationship with Matthews - speaks volumes.

Hyman loves him though lol.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I’ve had these same questions about Babcock since his first year here. Terrible lines and ice time allocation. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because we were devoid of talent.

The past couple of years, excluding this year, I gave him the benefit of the doubt - maybe he was just teaching our young players to be accountable and to earn it?

This year however is a complete disaster. He has arguably the second most talented team in the NHL and he still finds a way to f*** it up and make the same mistakes. It’s almost as if he’s purposely sabotaging the team. In reality, he’s incredibly stubborn and no one in the media or our front office has the balls to call him out on it. This team could be so much better.

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
Still Is...
giphy.gif

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
The ice-time management has been an issue, but my biggest beef has always been our defensive zone structure. It was on full display tonight when the blues used the point often to prolong the cycle game while we collapsed for a team photo in front of the net. This passive style will not lead to playoff success as puck possession teams like the Bruins will eat us alive

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
In the 10 games after the Muzzin trade, Leafs are 21st in CA/60, 21st in SCA/60, and 18th in HDCA/60.

The Leafs have 2 top pair d men in Rielly and Muzzin.
2 top 4 d men in Gardiner and Dermott.
2 solid bottom pair d men in Hainsey and Zaitsev.

The team is still poor defensively. How people can't see this is a coaching issue is astonishing.

HomerJLeafs

i just hope we make the POs
Dec 27, 2017
Playing the 4th line this much when you are down by 2 goals=not very good coaching.
Also what boiled my blood that Babcock quote something along the lines of being fast and skilled is fun, but
Newsflash!!! Babs you have a fast and skilled team come up with a gameplan that plays for their strenghts rather than wishing for a gritty, hard and heavy team.
Chris Johnston said with a smile after that Babcock quote that Babs would trade his blueline for the Blues blueline. NOT GONNA HAPPEN bud!!!!
plus when Muzzin arrived Babcocks 1st reaction was that he is not a right handed Dman
Im so done with Babcock.
Good thing this is his last season after when! the Leafs lose against the Bruins in round 1.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Nylander played just over 4 mins in the 3rd even though Kadri was hurt. The only players with less toi in the game were brown, Gauthier and lindholm.

This guy makes no sense.

Dubas has to pull a money ball. It's clear he and Babcock do not see eye to eye on who should be playing the most.

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
I guess theres a possibility the increased dislike of Babcock hockey is poster pile on....then again the pile on could be due to fans realizing Mikey is a Euro style egotistical coach....the game is all about Mikey ask him...#we would have won if i had last change .

WilliamNylander

Papi's home
Jul 26, 2012
Nylander played just over 4 mins in the 3rd even though Kadri was hurt. The only players with less toi in the game were brown, Gauthier and lindholm.

This guy makes no sense.

Dubas has to pull a money ball. It's clear he and Babcock do not see eye to eye on who should be playing the most.

This is the biggest thing. The leafs have built maybe the most skilled team in the NHL on paper. The GM preaches speed and skill. Then you have a coach who wants to dump and chase and grind out 1-0 wins. It’s such a stark contrast and I’m not sure how long it can last.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On

One of, if not their best player lately. Guess babcock doesn't feel he's playing at a high enough level yet
Man that dude is frustrating

This team can and should roll 4 solid lines. That 4th line offers too little, and no offence whatsoever

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
The bottom line is this: Does Babcock make this team better than the talent on paper? Does he make them more than the sum of its' parts?

I am forced to answer "no".

Dubas needs to do something. This team needs a shake up before this year goes down the tubes. With superior talent to previous years, and with some players having career years, this team has plateaued.

Not good enough.

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Leafs Defense ice time last night:
Rielly: 22:01
Hainsey: 21:00
Zaitsev: 20:43
Gardiner: 19:59
Muzzin: 19:43
Dermott: 17:12

Ron Hainsey, a few weeks away from 38 years old, played 21 minutes.

Also: Where else in the league do you see players of Matthews skill play less as than he does.
Matthews played 16:52.
Zach Hyman played 20:08, leading all Leafs forwards.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Oddly enough, it is a bit of a Moneyball relationship between Coach and GM.
GM; I want us to play with possession and play a fast skilled game.
Coach: I don't care who you give me to play, I am playing a heavy, dump and chase style with strong cycle game.

As much as Babcock is obviously a smart hockey man. I question the TOI usage and as I have complained about at nausea for quite a while, the stretch pass chip in style of play that rarely adapts to what the opposition is doing.

There seems to be a real battle between type of personel and coaching style.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden

This guy makes no sense.

Yeah. The thing that has always bothered me about Babcock is that he's cautious to a fault. I think you can see that in player usage, in our systems, in his situational decisions. Many coaches do that, for example you keep seeing coach after coach using Tavares a ton in OT despite consistently bad results, but Babcock takes it to the extreme. Instead of giving ice time to guys that can beat the heavy forecheck, he gives it to those who can weather it a bit better. When Blues force dump-ins, he doesn't go to guys who can break that down, he sends guys out who are better at winning those battles. All decisions where he just reacts to the other team, rather than try to force the gameplan our way. We owned this game in shifts where a Nylander, Matthews, or Marner came down low and built up speed. There was one shift where they tried to put pressure on us but Matthews and Kapanen ran circles around them in the neutral zone before breaking into the offensive zone with control. How many times didn't Nylander break down their neutral zone defense completely by just beating the forecheck and attacking with speed? I have no idea why we don't do this more often. Coaching staff seem to think that since we are a quick team we need to stretch the ice, but that's not taking advantage of your legs. That's making your legs a non-issue and letting the puck do the work.

I've largely been a Babcock supporter but he does things that are very hard to understand or support, and the issues I have with his coaching feels like the biggest issues I have with the team right now.

Last edited:

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Bottom line - and something we can all agree on - Marleau should not be in the top six based on his play and Nylander should be in the top six based on his play. Moreover, there is no valid reason to play Ron Hainsey significantly more than Jake Muzzin. There is absolutely no logic behind these decisions, and no one questions them because it’s Babcock.

Reactions: Erdinger
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad