Proposal: How Boston Retools and Stays A Contender

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Pasta has played close to a 50 goal/100 point pace the past three years. He is most definitely a top 10 player in the game.
Except points alone aren’t the whole of the game.

McDavid
Crosby
Draisaitl
Mackinnon
Matthews
Kucherov
Panarin
Barkov
Couturier
Pettersson

There are ten forwards who have cases for being better players than Pastrnak, not even including defensemen like Hedman and Heiskanen, and not including players on Pastrnak’s own team/line like Bergeron and Marchand.

Pasta also was just below a PPG two seasons ago, so definitely not “50 goals, 100 pts” at that point

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut

McDavid
Crosby
Draisaitl
Mackinnon
Matthews
Kucherov
Panarin
Barkov
Couturier
Pettersson

There are ten forwards who have cases for being better players than Pastrnak, not even including defensemen like Hedman and Heiskanen, and not including players on Pastrnak’s own team/line like Bergeron and Marchand.

Pasta also was just below a PPG two seasons ago, so definitely not “50 goals, 100 pts” at that point

McDavid
Crosby
Draisaitl
Mackinnon
Matthews
Kucherov
Panarin
Barkov
Couturier
Pettersson

Crazy that one of the best goal scorers in the league on probably the best contract in hockey gets no respect. Pasta is better than all those forwards you listed besides McDavid dri mac kuch and that’s it. None of those other players are top ten. Let’s be real here. Pasta value in the league is absurd and the bruins aren’t trading him period

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Crazy that one of the best goal scorers in the league on probably the best contract in hockey gets no respect. Pasta is better than all those forwards you listed besides McDavid dri mac kuch and that’s it. None of those other players are top ten. Let’s be real here. Pasta value in the league is absurd and the bruins aren’t trading him period
His contract has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he’s a top-ten player.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Jesus...you really came out of the corner swinging eh?

Step 1: Trade the best player in the organization on the league's best contract.

Reactions: Horton Hears A Woo

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
His contract has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not he’s a top-ten player.
Ok fair enough. He’s production and he’s elite playing skills would have something to do with that. Pasta is easily a top ten player while pretty darn young and only gets better each year. It really crazy to think his not a top ten player in the league.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Ok fair enough. He’s production and he’s elite playing skills would have something to do with that. Pasta is easily a top ten player while pretty darn young and only gets better each year. It really crazy to think his not a top ten player in the league.

I think the better argument here is how crazy valuable he is. Scores goals, great vision, excellent contract.

He ranked 6th overall in the entire NHL in the past "Asset Evaluation" polls.

RankNameTeamContract AAV
1McDavidOilers12.5
2MackinnonAvalanche6.3
3DraisaitlOilers8.5
4EichelSabres10
5DahlinSabresELC
6PastrnakBruins6.7
7MatthewsLeafs11.6
8KucherovLightning9.5
9PetterssonCanucksELC
102020 1st overallNo team
11BarkovPanthers5.9
12MakarAvalancheELC
13JonesBlue Jackets5.4
14HedmanLightning7.9
15Q. HughesCanucksELC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That's the thing though. A couple of people think
Ottawa gets hosed (I already said w/o signing at
least AP and Hall, I don't do it) and others think
Boston does. That usually means there is close
value.

That's not what it means. That's what people who make bad offers say that it means.

What it actually means is both teams hate it without any value judgment attached.

I have huge questions for those who say Boston wins by trading an established superstar who is making probably 40% less than his play would imply who is 24.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Brady Tkachuk will likely be a top 5 LW in the league and you want them to add #3?

If they want a guy who right now IS a top 5 LW on probably the best contract in hockey AND a player with a decent shot at being a top 6 forward in DeBrusk? Yup.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I’ll point out for the third time that I never thought Pastrnak was worth the third overall.
A lot of you guys need to work on your reading comprehension.

I think a lot of people just read “If the value of Pastrnak is third overall” and assumed that’s what I was arguing.

That is crazy. If you don't think David Pastrnak is worth the 3OA... I don't know what to say to that. David Pastrnak would be a home run 3OA pick. Like if you could lock in David Pastrnak as the result of your 3OA pick, a team would probably pay a pretty high price for that. The only way he isn't worth 3OA is if somehow in 2014 teams 1 and 2 just decided they didn't want McDavid and McDavid was sitting there at 3.

Draft picks get overvalued to a ludicrous extent in most trades.

Boston, you want 4OA? Detroit will offer you 4OA for Pastrnak. We don't even need DeBrusk.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Why would they want that now? They are rebuilding. As good as Pasta is that trade is still lopsided towards Boston. Especially if Byfield falls to #3
No on agrees with you on this. What if Byfield doesn't end up being good? What if Tkachuk never breaks out and is just a good 2nd line player?

Imagine trading a young 100pt player on one of the best contracts in the world for a couple 40-50pt players

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
That is crazy. If you don't think David Pastrnak is worth the 3OA... I don't know what to say to that. David Pastrnak would be a home run 3OA pick. Like if you could lock in David Pastrnak as the result of your 3OA pick, a team would probably pay a pretty high price for that. The only way he isn't worth 3OA is if somehow in 2014 teams 1 and 2 just decided they didn't want McDavid and McDavid was sitting there at 3.

Draft picks get overvalued to a ludicrous extent in most trades.

Boston, you want 4OA? Detroit will offer you 4OA for Pastrnak. We don't even need DeBrusk.
:help:

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
No on agrees with you on this. What if Byfield doesn't end up being good? What if Tkachuk never breaks out and is just a good 2nd line player?

Imagine trading a young 100pt player on one of the best contracts in the world for a couple 40-50pt players
I get this is hockey's future and everything.

But Pasta is 24, we are are talking about someone not even out of their RFA years for 2 very good, yet not fully proven assets.

You can make an argument why Ottawa doesn't want to make that move, but there is zero reason the Bruins would do this valuewise. The Bruins will be built around Pasta and McAvoy. Unless some insanely lopsided deal in Bostons favor comes along. And this definitely is not it.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
What makes Boston a contender is the insane chemistry in the Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak line. With Bergeron at 35 and Marchand at 32, I just don't see how you hold that chemistry together. They may be able to mitigate the decrease in play by adding more fire power up front. However, trading away Pastrnak is not the way to do that. Tkachuk is great, but he's not Pastrnak. It's one of those one foot in/out content/rebuild moves, that makes no sense.

Bit of a moot point anyways, as Ottawa is not moving that 3rd overall pick. They are not throwing in Tkachuk either. Debrusk does not close that gap.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Toss out any emoji you want. It doesn't make your assertion any less dumb. David Pastrnak at his current contract is worth more than the 3OA.
Yeah that’s why I said Pastrnak was worth more than 3rd oa in my second post. I have no idea what you are on about. He isn’t worth the 3rd pick, he is worth more. I have no idea why people are so offended.

Horton Hears A Woo

Sep 20, 2011
Connecticut
What makes Boston a contender is the insane chemistry in the Bergeron/Marchand/Pastrnak line. With Bergeron at 35 and Marchand at 32, I just don't see how you hold that chemistry together. They may be able to mitigate the decrease in play by adding more fire power up front. However, trading away Pastrnak is not the way to do that. Tkachuk is great, but he's not Pastrnak. It's one of those one foot in/out content/rebuild moves, that makes no sense.

Bit of a moot point anyways, as Ottawa is not moving that 3rd overall pick. They are not throwing in Tkachuk either. Debrusk does not close that gap.
In no universe would the bruins
Move pasta and debrusk for BT and the 3th overall. It’s a joke to even think that pick holds anywhere close to pasta value

Reactions: nbwingsfan

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think the better argument here is how crazy valuable he is. Scores goals, great vision, excellent contract.

He ranked 6th overall in the entire NHL in the past "Asset Evaluation" polls.

RankNameTeamContract AAV
1McDavidOilers12.5
2MackinnonAvalanche6.3
3DraisaitlOilers8.5
4EichelSabres10
5DahlinSabresELC
6PastrnakBruins6.7
7MatthewsLeafs11.6
8KucherovLightning9.5
9PetterssonCanucksELC
102020 1st overallNo team
11BarkovPanthers5.9
12MakarAvalancheELC
13JonesBlue Jackets5.4
14HedmanLightning7.9
15Q. HughesCanucksELC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[/LCs become larger contractsQUOTE]

I wonder how it changes after E

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Toss out any emoji you want. It doesn't make your assertion any less dumb. David Pastrnak at his current contract is worth more than the 3OA.

I disagree.

3OA is worth more because of3 yrs ELC so the ROZi would be greater because it’s a $1M vs $6Zm salary.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
In no universe would the bruins
Move pasta and debrusk for BT and the 3th overall. It’s a joke to even think that pick holds anywhere close to pasta value

I think you're ignoring the inclusion of Brady Tkachuk here. He himself was a #4 pick, who's still holds that kind of value.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Yeah that’s why I said Pastrnak was worth more than 3rd oa in my second post. I have no idea what you are on about. He isn’t worth the 3rd pick, he is worth more. I have no idea why people are so offended.

More....like a recent 4th overall pick who's transitioned well to the NHL in Brady Tkachuk? The trade isn't just for the 3rd overall. It also includes Tkachuk, who himself is a huge asset.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad