Proposal: How Boston Retools and Stays A Contender

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
The Bruins are at a point with their team where they can make bold moves to stay an elite contender through 2023 and a better than average team through
2025 with a solid corp of young players by utilizing the trade, draft and free agent markets.

Here are 9 transactions that would accomplish that.

Transaction #1 Trade DeBrusk and Pastrnak to Ottawa for the 3rd overall pick and Brady Tkachuk.

Transaction #2 Trade Matt Gryzlyck, Ondrej Kase and their 2021 2nd Rd pick to NJ for their last 2020 1st round pick.

Transaction #3 Trade David Krejci and a 2021 3rd rd pick to Columbus for a 2021 2nd round pick. Boston will retain $2.3M in salary. So Columbus gets an AAV of $4.95 for one year and a solid #2C behind Dubois.
The question with Krejci is if Columbus is on his list for trades. This takes it
as a given.

Transaction #4 Boston re-signs Chara for $.9M for one year.

Transaction #5 Boston signs Anthony Cirelli to a $8.0 max term contract.

Though this is an overpayment on its own, TB right now is clearly a better team. They have by a good margin the better #1 D man (Hedman) and center core. Signing Cirelli worst case closes the gap with Stamkos back.

Transaction #6 Boston signs STL FA Alex Pietrangelo to a $9.25M max term contract.

Boston lacks a #1 D man that can compete with Hedman. Signing AP
at least closes the gap and will place McAvoy in the 2nd RD pair
where he will see better match ups.

Transaction #7 Boston signs Taylor Hall to a $8.5M max term contract.

Hall replaces some of the offense lost in dealing Pastrnak.

Transaction #8 Boston trades D Brandon Carlo and John Moore 2 Colorado for Alex Newhook.

This transaction IMO hurts the most as Carlo at 23 is an already very good mobile shutdown D man. Boston gets another young center with some skill
in Newhook. Could be used as a deadline acquisition in 2022 for a team looking to deal at the deadline.

Transaction#9 Boston selects either Byfield or Stuetzle in draft.

Obviously selecting Byfield or Stuetzle gives Boston an elite pick they
haven't had since passing on Barzal or Connor or Seguin in 2010.
If its Byfield they get size and skill and now possess a very good group
of young centers in Cirelli and Byfield. Grabbing Tkachuk to go along with Studnicka is a solid look for young wings.

The D becomes top heavy with McAvoy and AP, however its necessary to
have a high end #1 whick McAvoy isn't, but Lauzon and Vaak are
decent complimentary partners for AP and McAvoy. Clifton, Chara and Zboril
will round out the D. Might see Boston utilize an 11F 7D set.

We all know Sweeney isn't making 9 transactions of this magnitude, no GM
ever will.

However I would ask anyone critiquing this not just let out a lol. Instead
give your opinion of some of the trades and signings. What you think what components need to be added or deleted. How much over or under paid
Hall, Cirelli or AP are.

I did some back of the envelope calculations and believe this results
in worst case about a $1.6M bonus penalty in 2021-22. Considering there is
about 6.3M dead cap for 2020-21 with Krejci, Backes and a $1.93M bonus
penalty, $1.9M isn't a dealbreaker for Tkachuk, Studnicka and Byfield/Stuetzle bonuses. If that isn't the case I am sure the expert
capoligists will correct me.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
1 is one sided....
3.. Columbus doesn’t have the space

8. Colorado will lose Carlo in the ED if the protect 3.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
The transaction wit NJ doesn’t align with the goals of the new GM who has said he wants to get bigger players that are harder to play against on defense. NJ has a similar defender in Butcher already and NJ has a large number of bottom six players and prospects already. Value may be there for BOS but it doesn’t really address what NJ would want.

Chayos

Mar 6, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah sorry DeBrusk+Pastrnak doesn't return Tkachuk+#3 pick Pastrnak is good but come on that's insane.

are you kidding Pastrnak is a beast. The 3rd pick is a magic bean. There is no way Boston considers this. How is trading these two players who are under 25 for a good player and bean making Boston Better?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Actually I’m thinking as an option

Granlund to top6
Cheap signing to add size to bottom6
OEL/Pietro/Hanifin one way or another

Dadonov is another top6 addition I’d take a look at

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
They absolutely need a Pietro type Defenceman. Chara is no longer a legit top four. McAvoy is a #1. But need more.

Get a Palmeiri type winger. Or overpay for Hall. Their depth sucks after line one.

Get a Marroon type impact player in that soft lineup.

Fire Cassidy. He's stubborn and been unable to get his team over the hump. Outcoached in consecutive postseason series. Gallant is out there. As is Babcock.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They absolutely need a Pietro type Defenceman. Chara is no longer a legit top four. McAvoy is a #1. But need more.

Get a Palmeiri type winger. Or overpay for Hall. Their depth sucks after line one.

Fire Cassidy. He's stubborn and been unable to get his team over the hump. Outcoached in consecutive postseason series. Gallant is out there. As is Babcock.

Why Palmieri when Hall/Dadonov/Granlund/Hoffman are out there for free

Zero reasons for a trade

Also Krejci/Coyle/DeBrusk create a pretty damm good depth with another quality addition

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Why Palmieri when Hall/Dadonov/Granlund/Hoffman are out there for free

Zero reasons for a trade

Also Krejci/Coyle/DeBrusk create a pretty damm good depth with another quality addition

"Overpay" means give Hall a blank check if at all possible.

Krejci is on his last legs. Boston needs to get younger and tougher down the middle.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
"Overpay" means give Hall a blank check if at all possible.

Krejci is on his last legs. Boston needs to get younger and tougher down the middle.

There’s Coyle& Studnicka to replace Krejci.

Palmieri type trade makes still zero sense given the market and Bostons asset pool.

Atleast the cap is in the best shape I can remember

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
All of those trades are so lopsided in Boston's favor, To bad none of those teams would make those deals. And yet you still never addressed your goaltending needs here.

Several people completely disagree with you.

Honestly in a vacuum (no Hall, Cirelli and AP) I wouldn't trade Pastrnak and DeBrusk for that return. All the trade
proposals are mostly to clear $$$ to bring in AP, Cirelli and Hall and secondarily to restock.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Actually I’m thinking as an option

Granlund to top6
Cheap signing to add size to bottom6
OEL/Pietro/Hanifin one way or another

Dadonov is another top6 addition I’d take a look at

In the real world Boston needs Hall & Pietrangelo.

OEL & Hanifin are rearranging the chairs on The USS Bruin heading towards an iceberg named Tampa Bay.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

100% agree about AP. Hedman is head and shoulders above McAvoy. Like comparing Potvin to
Mike O'Connell.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->