Proposal: How Boston Retools and Stays A Contender

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So basically you just set yourself back 3 years for the sake of setting yourself back 3 years. Good argument
Or, maybe your team is actually good those 3 years because hes one of the best player in the NHL

Or maybe he re-signs with Ottawa and you have one of the best player in the NHL for the next decade.

Well worth the "risk" since you're also getting a very good player in Debrusk (who's currently a better player than Tkachuk).

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Better than arguing to trade a top 5 winger just because "he might walk in 3 years"

Tkachuk isn't nearly as good as Ottawa fans think. You know who had more points in their 1st 2 years than him? Jake Debrusk

At 20 years of age Tkachuk had 42 NHL goals to his credit. DeBrusk was playing playing in the WHL/AHL
at age 20. Tkachuk is three years younger than DeBrusk. He has a higher ceiling and floor than DeBrusk and he is still on his ELC.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Ledge And Dairy

Better than arguing to trade a top 5 winger just because "he might walk in 3 years"

Tkachuk isn't nearly as good as Ottawa fans think. You know who had more points in their 1st 2 years than him? Jake Debrusk
Did you completely misread my argument? I said Ottawa shouldn't be trading for a top 5 winger because he will walk in 3 years, especially when the pieces they are paying to acquire him are their only chance of actually not being in a rebuild by that time. So it works out to this: trade 2 extremely high potential players while you are rebuilding for 1 proven player with only a little term.

"You know who had more points in their 1st 2 years than him? Jake Debrusk" What? Debrusk had 43 and 42 points, Tkachuk had 45 and 44 points.
Jake Debrusk entered the league playing on an actual competing NHL team. In DeBrusks first 2 seasons Boston was 7th and 11th in total GF. In Tkachuk's first 2 seasons Ottawa was 17th and 22nd in GF.

Hey while we are comparing peoples first 2 seasons Why not look at Pastrnak's too?
Pastrnak:
- paced 48 points in his first season
- paced 42 points in his second season

B. Tkachuk:
- paced 52 points in his first season
- paced 51 points in his second season

Oh and for the cherry on top
DeBrusk:
- paced 50 points in his first season
- paced 51 points in his second season

Ledge And Dairy

Or, maybe your team is actually good those 3 years because hes one of the best player in the NHL

Or maybe he re-signs with Ottawa and you have one of the best player in the NHL for the next decade.

Well worth the "risk" since you're also getting a very good player in Debrusk (who's currently a better player than Tkachuk).
Who does he play with? McDavid couldnt carry his team into the playoffs the past 5 years and he's far and away the clear best player in the league. You trade Tkachuk and #3 away for Pastrnak and all you ahve left is Josh freaking Norris. You don't have Marchand to pass you the puck and you don't have Bergeron to back check for you

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Tkachuk had a better year than DeBrusk. He was top 10
amongst LW in ES goals and points. Thats been a sore spot for Boston RS and PO. He also is physical.

Reactions: Guttersniped

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Who does he play with? McDavid couldnt carry his team into the playoffs the past 5 years and he's far and away the clear best player in the league. You trade Tkachuk and #3 away for Pastrnak and all you ahve left is Josh freaking Norris. You don't have Marchand to pass you the puck and you don't have Bergeron to back check for you

If Krejci had Ottawa on his list to trade to I would
offer him with $2.3 retained for a 2021 2nd round
pick. You guys might make it as a WC...LOL.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Oh right I forgot that Ottawa is nevet going to sign or trade for good players ever again, my bad.

When Pasta moves down to get Krejci going he scores at basically the same pace. He doesn't need help to be elite.

Ledge And Dairy

Oh right I forgot that Ottawa is nevet going to sign or trade for good players ever again, my bad.

When Pasta moves down to get Krejci going he scores at basically the same pace. He doesn't need help to be elite.

Yeah i'm done arguing this. It blows my mind that you honestly think this is a good trade for Ottawa. Truly hilarious. 8 years of Mark Stone, who is the best RW in the league only returned Brannstrom yet you think 3 years of Pasta returns #3 is a stacked draft as well as Brady Tkachuk.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Yeah i'm done arguing this. It blows my mind that you honestly think this is a good trade for Ottawa. Truly hilarious. 8 years of Mark Stone, who is the best RW in the league only returned Brannstrom yet you think 3 years of Pasta returns #3 is a stacked draft as well as Brady Tkachuk.

Mark Stone is awesome. But Mark Stone's offensive high water mark is one season of 30+ goals (33 goals). David Notworthtkachukrnak has four in his young career, including a Richard.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
All of those trades are so lopsided in Boston's favor, To bad none of those teams would make those deals. And yet you still never addressed your goaltending needs here.
I mostly agree except for the Columbus one. How is that lopsided. Krejci and a 3rd for a 2nd. That’s as bad a trade as the Bruins could make.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The Bruins are at a point with their team where they can make bold moves to stay an elite contender through 2023 and a better than average team through
2025 with a solid corp of young players by utilizing the trade, draft and free agent markets.

Here are 9 transactions that would accomplish that.

Transaction #1 Trade DeBrusk and Pastrnak to Ottawa for the 3rd overall pick and Brady Tkachuk.

Transaction #2 Trade Matt Gryzlyck, Ondrej Kase and their 2021 2nd Rd pick to NJ for their last 2020 1st round pick.

Transaction #3 Trade David Krejci and a 2021 3rd rd pick to Columbus for a 2021 2nd round pick. Boston will retain $2.3M in salary. So Columbus gets an AAV of $4.95 for one year and a solid #2C behind Dubois.
The question with Krejci is if Columbus is on his list for trades. This takes it
as a given.

Transaction #4 Boston re-signs Chara for $.9M for one year.

Transaction #5 Boston signs Anthony Cirelli to a $8.0 max term contract.

Though this is an overpayment on its own, TB right now is clearly a better team. They have by a good margin the better #1 D man (Hedman) and center core. Signing Cirelli worst case closes the gap with Stamkos back.

Transaction #6 Boston signs STL FA Alex Pietrangelo to a $9.25M max term contract.

Boston lacks a #1 D man that can compete with Hedman. Signing AP
at least closes the gap and will place McAvoy in the 2nd RD pair
where he will see better match ups.

Transaction #7 Boston signs Taylor Hall to a $8.5M max term contract.

Hall replaces some of the offense lost in dealing Pastrnak.

Transaction #8 Boston trades D Brandon Carlo and John Moore 2 Colorado for Alex Newhook.

This transaction IMO hurts the most as Carlo at 23 is an already very good mobile shutdown D man. Boston gets another young center with some skill
in Newhook. Could be used as a deadline acquisition in 2022 for a team looking to deal at the deadline.

Transaction#9 Boston selects either Byfield or Stuetzle in draft.

Obviously selecting Byfield or Stuetzle gives Boston an elite pick they
haven't had since passing on Barzal or Connor or Seguin in 2010.
If its Byfield they get size and skill and now possess a very good group
of young centers in Cirelli and Byfield. Grabbing Tkachuk to go along with Studnicka is a solid look for young wings.

The D becomes top heavy with McAvoy and AP, however its necessary to
have a high end #1 whick McAvoy isn't, but Lauzon and Vaak are
decent complimentary partners for AP and McAvoy. Clifton, Chara and Zboril
will round out the D. Might see Boston utilize an 11F 7D set.

We all know Sweeney isn't making 9 transactions of this magnitude, no GM
ever will.

However I would ask anyone critiquing this not just let out a lol. Instead
give your opinion of some of the trades and signings. What you think what components need to be added or deleted. How much over or under paid
Hall, Cirelli or AP are.

I did some back of the envelope calculations and believe this results
in worst case about a $1.6M bonus penalty in 2021-22. Considering there is
about 6.3M dead cap for 2020-21 with Krejci, Backes and a $1.93M bonus
penalty, $1.9M isn't a dealbreaker for Tkachuk, Studnicka and Byfield/Stuetzle bonuses. If that isn't the case I am sure the expert
capoligists will correct me.
Colorado laughs at that awful offer. Hard no.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Stone would not have signed 8 years with any team, so for the vast majority of teams it was like 3 months of Stone, greatly limiting options

Pastrnak is also a much better player than Stone.

You're not just getting Pastrnak, you're getting another young player who right now is better than Tkachuk.

The value is heavily favoured towards Ottaw

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Ledge And Dairy

Stone would not have signed 8 years with any team, so for the vast majority of teams it was like 3 months of Stone, greatly limiting options

Pastrnak is also a much better player than Stone.

You're not just getting Pastrnak, you're getting another young player who right now is better than Tkachuk.

The value is heavily favoured towards Ottaw
DeBrusk is not better than Tkachuk LMAO you are a complete troll

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
DeBrusk is not better than Tkachuk LMAO you are a complete troll

Without top line or PP minutes hes produced just as much as Tkachuk since he entered the league with more goals and in less games...

Tkachuk will likely be the better player in the long run but as of now they're the same calibre of player

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
This still doesn't make sense for Ottawa though. Brady is a former 4th OA pick and there's a 3rd OA added in. Pasta is a great winger, no doubt, but he also has a supporting cast in Boston. What the heck is Ottawa going to with Pasta and DeBrusk with a roster that's basically Colin White, Connor Brown, JGP, Tierny and Anthony Duclair without BT? That's basically getting an F1 engine to install into a rusty pickup truck. The engine is probably going to run great, but it's everything else that's going to fall apart.

Pasta and DeBrusk together are a great pair of talent to add to most teams, but a team like Ottawa wouldn't be able to properly utilize that package at all IMO. Boston is better off trying to talk to a team like Buffalo or Edmonton which are teams looking to add wingers to complement their talented forward core.

Trading Pasta/Debrusk for BT and 3OA punches a bigger hole than you're filling in a retool situation. Value aside, it's much more a rebuild type trade than retool.

And this is why it is a dumb offer.

Tkachuk + 3OA has very high value. Pastrnak + Debrusk has very high value.

Boston is trying to win right now and maybe re-tool a little bit on the fly. The rest of their core is 29-35. If they want to push for a title, the time is now... not three years from now.

Ottawa is still in the middle of a full-blown rebuild. They aren't going to be good enough to be a contender by the time Pastrnak's cheap deal runs out and he's going to want a MASSIVE payday, especially in this scenario because he'd be in Ottawa and asked to carry the whole team and the fact that he's been on a ludicrous bargain of a contract for 6 years.

Reactions: Fig

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

It wasn't 8 years of Mark Stone. He signed the 8 year extension after he was gone from Ottawa. That was the price for two months of Mark Stone... McPhee knew that Ottawa wasn't gonna hold onto him in UFA. So he had the leverage to ask to negotiate the contract and acquire Stone for a cheaper price than if he were already extended.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I can see Boston signing Pietrangelo. And letting Krug walk and trading Carlo for a young forward or dman prospect.

The Ontario boy going to screw over the Leafs by signing with the Bruins who have 3 years left and then need a retool? I don't think so

As a Habs fan in this hate triangle in the Habs/Leafs/Bruins... I feel I have good authority on this opinion :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The Bruins are at a point with their team where they can make bold moves to stay an elite contender through 2023 and a better than average team through
2025 with a solid corp of young players by utilizing the trade, draft and free agent markets.

Here are 9 transactions that would accomplish that.

Transaction #1 Trade DeBrusk and Pastrnak to Ottawa for the 3rd overall pick and Brady Tkachuk.

Transaction #2 Trade Matt Gryzlyck, Ondrej Kase and their 2021 2nd Rd pick to NJ for their last 2020 1st round pick.

Transaction #3 Trade David Krejci and a 2021 3rd rd pick to Columbus for a 2021 2nd round pick. Boston will retain $2.3M in salary. So Columbus gets an AAV of $4.95 for one year and a solid #2C behind Dubois.
The question with Krejci is if Columbus is on his list for trades. This takes it
as a given.

Transaction #4 Boston re-signs Chara for $.9M for one year.

Transaction #5 Boston signs Anthony Cirelli to a $8.0 max term contract.

Though this is an overpayment on its own, TB right now is clearly a better team. They have by a good margin the better #1 D man (Hedman) and center core. Signing Cirelli worst case closes the gap with Stamkos back.

Transaction #6 Boston signs STL FA Alex Pietrangelo to a $9.25M max term contract.

Boston lacks a #1 D man that can compete with Hedman. Signing AP
at least closes the gap and will place McAvoy in the 2nd RD pair
where he will see better match ups.

Transaction #7 Boston signs Taylor Hall to a $8.5M max term contract.

Hall replaces some of the offense lost in dealing Pastrnak.

Transaction #8 Boston trades D Brandon Carlo and John Moore 2 Colorado for Alex Newhook.

This transaction IMO hurts the most as Carlo at 23 is an already very good mobile shutdown D man. Boston gets another young center with some skill
in Newhook. Could be used as a deadline acquisition in 2022 for a team looking to deal at the deadline.

Transaction#9 Boston selects either Byfield or Stuetzle in draft. :sarcasm:

Obviously selecting Byfield or Stuetzle gives Boston an elite pick they
haven't had since passing on Barzal or Connor or Seguin in 2010.
If its Byfield they get size and skill and now possess a very good group
of young centers in Cirelli and Byfield. Grabbing Tkachuk to go along with Studnicka is a solid look for young wings.

The D becomes top heavy with McAvoy and AP, however its necessary to
have a high end #1 whick McAvoy isn't, but Lauzon and Vaak are
decent complimentary partners for AP and McAvoy. Clifton, Chara and Zboril
will round out the D. Might see Boston utilize an 11F 7D set.

We all know Sweeney isn't making 9 transactions of this magnitude, no GM
ever will.

However I would ask anyone critiquing this not just let out a lol. Instead
give your opinion of some of the trades and signings. What you think what components need to be added or deleted. How much over or under paid
Hall, Cirelli or AP are.

I did some back of the envelope calculations and believe this results
in worst case about a $1.6M bonus penalty in 2021-22. Considering there is
about 6.3M dead cap for 2020-21 with Krejci, Backes and a $1.93M bonus
penalty, $1.9M isn't a dealbreaker for Tkachuk, Studnicka and Byfield/Stuetzle bonuses. If that isn't the case I am sure the expert
capoligists will correct me.

Seems easy eh? :sarcasm:

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

Lol, hey its almost impossible to imagine, but I bet
lots of people who have viewed this thread considered
that at the start of the 2016-17 season the possibility
of the Boston Bruins having the following results thru
the 2019-20 season almost equally unimaginable:

2017-18 4th best RS record and 2 points off 2nd best RS record.

2018-19 Playing G7 of the SC Final and having the
2nd best RS record.

2019-20 Presidents Trophy winner

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

While we're at it lets go for the trifecta of amazing happenings to The Boston Bruins ok?

If you had told me when I was in 9th grade
a week after Boston won The Cup in
1970 (yeah I'm on Medicare...lol) the Bruins
would lose Bobby Orr and Phil Esposito by
the end of 1975-76 and go onto consecutive SCF apperances in 1977 and 1978 I would have had you
committed...lol.

Rounding out the trifecta, if I had told you
that right after the Joe Thornton trade that
Boston would win the Cup 5 years later and be
in the SCF two years after that, you would have had
me committed. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad