TV: House of the Dragon on HBO (please use spoiler tags when necessary)

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So, probably a really dumb question but I might want to start getting into reading all the books but I can't figure out what the order is. I go on Amazon for the full collection and it gives me the 7 book collection:

(7 book collection)

But when I start looking at the order to read them, websites are showing there much more than 7 books?

"
  1. Fire and Blood
  2. The Sons of the Dragon
  3. The Rogue Prince
  4. The Princess and the Queen
  5. The Hedge Knight
  6. The Sworn Sword
  7. The Mystery Knight
  8. A Game of Thrones
  9. A Clash of Kings
  10. A Storm of Swords
  11. A Feast for Crows
  12. A Dance with Dragons
  13. The Winds of Winter (TBA)
  14. A Dream of Spring (TBA)

So, I'm a bit confused at the moment :dunno:

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
So, probably a really dumb question but I might want to start getting into reading all the books but I can't figure out what the order is. I go on Amazon for the full collection and it gives me the 7 book collection:

(7 book collection)

But when I start looking at the order to read them, websites are showing there much more than 7 books?

"
  1. Fire and Blood
  3. The Rogue Prince
  5. The Hedge Knight
  6. The Sworn Sword
  7. The Mystery Knight
  8. A Game of Thrones
  9. A Clash of Kings
  10. A Storm of Swords
  11. A Feast for Crows
  12. A Dance with Dragons

Game of Thrones through Dance of Dragons (and the last two if they ever come out) is the main GOT story. Fire and Blood is a history of the Targaryen family (of which something like 150 pages are what HOTD is based on). The rest I believe are novellas (I must admit I've only read a couple of them) that add to the world building but aren't really essential to the main story.

I would suggest starting with Game of Thrones and doing the main story first, then maybe go back and do the novellas or Fire and Blood. Unless you don't want to know what happens in the next few seasons of HOTD, then you might want to hold off on Fire and Blood until after the series is done.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Game of Thrones through Dance of Dragons (and the last two if they ever come out) is the main GOT story. Fire and Blood is a history of the Targaryen family (of which something like 150 pages are what HOTD is based on). The rest I believe are novellas (I must admit I've only read a couple of them) that add to the world building but aren't really essential to the main story.

I would suggest starting with Game of Thrones and doing the main story first, then maybe go back and do the novellas or Fire and Blood. Unless you don't want to know what happens in the next few seasons of HOTD, then you might want to hold off on Fire and Blood until after the series is done.

I'm interested in reading for the first time too. Which ones do I read if I want to get the story of these crazy Baratheon characters? Would love to read the origin of the Baratheon who made the breastplate stretcher too.

Reactions: HanSolo

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom

(7 book collection)

"
  1. Fire and Blood
  3. The Rogue Prince
  5. The Hedge Knight
  6. The Sworn Sword
  7. The Mystery Knight
  8. A Game of Thrones
  9. A Clash of Kings
  10. A Storm of Swords
  11. A Feast for Crows
  12. A Dance with Dragons

Sons of the Dragon, The Rogue Prince, and The Princess and the Queen were originally published on their own as part of various projects, but they're all basically amalgamated into Fire and Blood with a few minor changes. So you can read Fire and Blood alone to cover all that.

The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword, and The Mystery Knight are the Dunk & Egg novellas, which all come together in the "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms" book.

I would start with the main series (it gets complicated when you reach A Feast for Crows, you can either read that one first and then move on to A Dance With Dragons, or you can flick between both in a particular chapter order which you can find online, it's really down to preference because certain main characters aren't in one of the books so that might affect your enjoyment)

After the main series you should do the Dunk & Egg novellas before Fire & Blood. There is also The World of Ice and Fire which does include some stuff not found anywhere else and more information about stuff from before the Targargens and outside of Westeros.

The order I did it:

1. A Game of Thrones
2. A Clash of Kings
3. A Storm of Swords
4. A Feast for Crows
5. A Dance With Dragons
6. The Hedge Knight
7. The Sworn Sword
8. The Mystery Knight
9. The World of Ice and Fire
10. Fire & Blood

I might have read The Rogue Prince and The Princess and the Queen on their own at some point before I got The World of Ice and Fire and Fire & Blood, I can't really remember. But it makes a lot more sense to just read them as part of Fire & Blood because they're basically just copied and pasted into it.

Last edited:

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

This series would be better if it did allow some of the characters to be more openly villainous, as suggested by the book. That's on both sides.

(7 book collection)

"
  1. Fire and Blood
  3. The Rogue Prince
  5. The Hedge Knight
  6. The Sworn Sword
  7. The Mystery Knight
  8. A Game of Thrones
  9. A Clash of Kings
  10. A Storm of Swords
  11. A Feast for Crows
  12. A Dance with Dragons

Main series
Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
Fire and Blood

That is the order I would suggest but really the order of those three things can be switched around without causing any big issue.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Main series
Knight of the Seven Kingdoms
Fire and Blood

That is the order I would suggest but really the order of those three things can be switched around without causing any big issue.

Yeah I might be inclined to suggest to people who aren't really that into reading or struggle with it that a good place to start would be A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms as an introduction just because it's such a lighter read compared to the main series. It's the closest thing you'll get to a children's story in this universe.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I'm interested in reading for the first time too. Which ones do I read if I want to get the story of these crazy Baratheon characters? Would love to read the origin of the Baratheon who made the breastplate stretcher too.
Fire and Blood is the Chronological start of the series. It starts off detailing the Targ's flight from Valyria (though really it starts at Aegon's conquest) and goes until the ascension of Aegon III, which is right after the Dance of Dragon's, which is what HOTD is covering.

The last novel, chronologically, is A Dance of Dragon's, which is like Season 5-6 of GoT (I think. The show went to shit after S3, and it white washes A TON OF CHARACTERS, so I stopped watching).

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Fire and Blood is the Chronological start of the series. It starts off detailing the Targ's flight from Valyria (though really it starts at Aegon's conquest) and goes until the ascension of Aegon III, which is right after the Dance of Dragon's, which is what HOTD is covering.

The last novel, chronologically, is A Dance of Dragon's, which is like Season 5-6 of GoT (I think. The show went to shit after S3, and it white washes A TON OF CHARACTERS, so I stopped watching).

Yes yes but are there crazy Baratheons in these?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010

Fire and Blood gives a different view on the Baratheons. In many ways they are the second house of Westeros to the Targaryens for most of their reign, being generally accepted even by the Targaryens as bastard Targaryens. Robar Baratheon (grandfather of Rhaenys from House of the Dragon) is a fairly big part of Fire and Blood.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Mostly no.

Orys Baratheon was Aegon the Conquerors half, bastard brother, as well as his best friend. Since then, the Baratheon's have married into the Targ tree here and there. They are essentially Valyrian-Metis.

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020

(7 book collection)

"
  1. Fire and Blood
  3. The Rogue Prince
  5. The Hedge Knight
  6. The Sworn Sword
  7. The Mystery Knight
  8. A Game of Thrones
  9. A Clash of Kings
  10. A Storm of Swords
  11. A Feast for Crows
  12. A Dance with Dragons

Just start at the main series. They are brilliantly written. His style is so decedent. Just be aware that when you go to Fire & Blood the style changes from 3rd person POV to more of history book format. The only other one I read was Hedge Knight. It was good but nothing compares to the main series.

Once you start getting into some of the differences between the show and the books, I think mainly books 4 &5 but maybe a little in 3, you’ll see that the show should have just stayed honest to the books.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

Interesting back stage activities. Ignore that she is a producers on the show--there are about 30 producers on the show and it is her first producers gig. It is a massive jump to go from producer to show runner--usually people are producers for 5 to 10 years before they get to sit in the big chair---Unless you created the show

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Interesting back stage activities. Ignore that she is a producers on the show--there are about 30 producers on the show and it is her first producers gig. It is a massive jump to go from producer to show runner--usually people are producers for 5 to 10 years before they get to sit in the big chair---Unless you created the show

If so Sapochnik is an idiot

Walking away from hit show over that is type of situation is not only stupid but may impact his career going forward negatively

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If so Sapochnik is an idiot

Walking away from hit show over that is type of situation is not only stupid but may impact his career going forward negatively
There were complaints when he hired his wife as a producer after sponsoring her into the producers guild. For what is on line with the show it makes zero sense to make someone with no show running experience a show runner.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Gondal is the guy running things. Knowing his absolute, pure love for the series (Books, TV, all of the lore scattered everywhere), I could care less about any of the other people involved behind the scenes. As long as he's running things, IDRC.

Reactions: ecemleafs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad