TV: House of the Dragon on HBO (please use spoiler tags when necessary)

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
GOT actually kept pretty timely 1 year schedule most of its run. I don't know who decided the big fantasy shows need 2 year breaks.

my guess in money. They are filming year 2 but the filming will take place over two fiscal years not one and because it is over 2 years--it help keep down the expenses by doing that way. Looking at what is going on over at HBO and its mother company--every move they are making is about that 5 billion buck deficit and making it small. The budget for this show is through the roof and that is one reason why they announced the other GOT spin offs are now either cancelled or delayed till the end of House of Dragon. On the papers here in the UK suggested we may not see the Snow series until late 2027 or 2028 if at all

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
my guess in money. They are filming year 2 but the filming will take place over two fiscal years not one and because it is over 2 years--it help keep down the expenses by doing that way. Looking at what is going on over at HBO and its mother company--every move they are making is about that 5 billion buck deficit and making it small. The budget for this show is through the roof and that is one reason why they announced the other GOT spin offs are now either cancelled or delayed till the end of House of Dragon. On the papers here in the UK suggested we may not see the Snow series until late 2027 or 2028 if at all

I haven't seen that anywhere. Source? Because that could be 8-10 years depending on how long HoD goes.

Last I heard "Snow" was in the writing stages in development.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
It was on a couple of vloggers. I think one was emergingawasime
Maybe just some baseless speculation by them. That definitely hasn't been confirmed by anyone with HBO. The Game of Thrones genre is their money maker, when "Snow" is ready, they will push it through.

edit - George R.R. Martin said last week nothing has been greenlit yet, but they are hoping soon. So clearly nothing has been confirmed canceled/shelved until HoD is over.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I haven't seen that anywhere. Source? Because that could be 8-10 years depending on how long HoD goes.

Last I heard "Snow" was in the writing stages in development.

Yeah, it's true. I'm sort of one of those GOT vloggers and George RR Martin himself said that in the last few months, some spinoffs have been shelved by HBO with new leadership coming in. He said they aren't dead, but they're just shelved.

Maybe just some baseless speculation by them. That definitely hasn't been confirmed by anyone with HBO. The Game of Thrones genre is their money maker, when "Snow" is ready, they will push it through.

It has a base. Read George's latest blog entry to find out that some have been shelved while some are in development process..

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yeah, it's true. I'm sort of one of those GOT vloggers and George RR Martin himself said that in the last few months, many spinoffs have been shelved by HBO with new leadership coming in. He said they aren't dead, but they're just shelved.
Yea exactly. So there is no confirmation on that quote that everything has been shelved/cancelled until HoD is over. Martin also said he is hoping they get greenlit soon.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Yea exactly. So there is no confirmation on that quote that everything has been shelved/cancelled until HoD is over. Martin also said he is hoping they get greenlit soon.

Oh yeah, they're not totally canceled - no. but once they're shelved...eh, it's not a great outlook.

I just want Dunk and Egg to come out (and I'd *accept* a "Snow" show)

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Oh yeah, they're not totally canceled - no. but once they're shelved...eh, it's not a great outlook.

I just want Dunk and Egg to come out (and I'd *accept* a "Snow" show)
I think Snow is the only one that will see the light truthfully, especially since apparently Kit Harington has approached some pretty big names to help him. I'd be excited for that just to see some old faces again.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
GOT actually kept pretty timely 1 year schedule most of its run. I don't know who decided the big fantasy shows need 2 year breaks.
The Targ civil war is not called the Dance of the Dragons because the Targs fought on Horse back.

To say there is going to be a lot of Dragon's in the upcoming season(s) is perhaps the understatement of the decade.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I think Snow is the only one that will see the light truthfully, especially since apparently Kit Harington has approached some pretty big names to help him. I'd be excited for that just to see some old faces again.

I'm nervous about the story because I'm not sure what storyline they can go with to be interesting, other than maybe Jon discovering he's become a warg beyond the wall.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
I'm nervous about the story because I'm not sure what storyline they can go with to be interesting, other than maybe Jon discovering he's become a warg beyond the wall.
I'd be fine if every episode was just Jon & Tormund Giantsbane hunting for dinner and bickering with each other.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Snow show went from being on the HBO schedule for first quarter 2024 to be removed completely. When I find the vlog I will post it. It went into detail on how much the show was expected to cost and the fact that each episode of house of the dragon costs between 15 to 20 mill to make. HBO just does not have the money to make two shows like that right now and it might be awhile before they can again. Nearly every outlet is tightening their budgets right now

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
The Snow show went from being on the HBO schedule for first quarter 2024 to be removed completely. When I find the vlog I will post it. It went into detail on how much the show was expected to cost and the fact that each episode of house of the dragon costs between 15 to 20 mill to make. HBO just does not have the money to make two shows like that right now and it might be awhile before they can again. Nearly every outlet is tightening their budgets right now
HBO has never even confirmed "Snow" so there is no way it was ever on any sort of official schedule from them. So whatever schedule you were looking at was not legit.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
HBO has never even confirmed "Snow" so there is no way it was ever on any sort of official schedule from them. So whatever schedule you were looking at was not legit.
radiotimes here in the UK had it as 2024 but when it was announced season 2 of the dragon would come out on 2024 they said it was pushed til 2025 and now they dropped it from their projected shows list completely. It is hard to keep shooting here in the UK secret due to the fact that for a show of that size they would need to pre book studio space. For example, one reason we are hearing so many rumours about a new James Bond being named is because the company that makes Bond has booked 4 month block at Pinewood studios for the 3 quarter of this year--they have til I believe May to confirm the shoot or release the dates. Snow was to film in Belfast and the company the makes Dragon had booked studio time at I believe Forshore Studios for an untitled series in 2024 but released those dates outright meaning they did not just move the block. Usually if a tv series or movie is delayed the company will just move the shooting block to a later date, in this case here they just released it. There is a lot of filming in and around Belfast right now and lots of studios have booked spaces in the 3 major production spaces in Ireland up to 2025--including Marvel who have booked time for an untitled movie for summer 2024--but again--they have booked it does not mean they will actually film there--they have booked it . Marvel had booked time in Pinewood two years ago but flipped the booking over to do the upcoming Indiana Jones movie.

The only reason I know about what goes on with studios and bookings is because the hotel group I consult for right now has contacts with most major studios and production companies, and when they block up large groups of rooms in the different hotels in the company. We do not know the exact movie or tv show--but when we see which company has made the booking--we can usually figure out which it is and when we are told which rooms are being blocked and get the rider--we usually can figure out who the executive producer is as most of them have exact requests that if not met? Headache city

An example of how we figured stuff out was with Robert Downey Jr(no gossip here) the hotel group had a 60 day stay booked for about 40 people at one of their 5 star properties. About a week before the group was to check in, we were informed the main actor had it his contact to stay at the K west hotel in Sheppard Bush--Downey usually always stays there when in London. Another hotel in London that many top actors perfer to stay at is The Jumeirah Carlton near sloane square. It is outside of the hotel chain I deal with, but we know which talent want to stay there and our logistic team talks with their logistic team to sort out the nuts on bolts of things

Last edited:
Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
I would expect them to go ahead with Dunk and Egg, probably Snow and shelve the rest.

Dunk and Egg already has 3 novellas worth of actual source material plus whatever else Gurm has already thought about for that, so you'd think it would be impossible to f*** up. Snow will probably go ahead because Jon Snow is really popular with casual fans so it's an easy sell.

I don't think the Sea Snake really played a significant enough role in Season 1 of HotD to capture the hearts and minds of the casual audience, so the 9 Voyages spinoff probably gets shelved. They dropped a few nods to it in HotD but Dorne was a lot of people's least favourite thing in GoT so the Nymeria 10,000 ships one probably bites the dust as well. The one about Yi Ti probably goes as well because nobody cares outside of the hardcore fans who are really into the lore.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Season 2 didn't get picked up until after an episode or two of season 1 even aired. Who knows how long it took them to go from approval to even starting filming since all the pre-production is required first. GoT kept a schedule because they were already working on the next season right after they finished the last one, with whatever time in between needed for planning and such.

Audience expectations have also gone up, so these big budget shows are going for more and more and that takes longer.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I would expect them to go ahead with Dunk and Egg, probably Snow and shelve the rest.

Dunk and Egg already has 3 novellas worth of actual source material plus whatever else Gurm has already thought about for that, so you'd think it would be impossible to f*** up. Snow will probably go ahead because Jon Snow is really popular with casual fans so it's an easy sell.

I don't think the Sea Snake really played a significant enough role in Season 1 of HotD to capture the hearts and minds of the casual audience, so the 9 Voyages spinoff probably gets shelved. They dropped a few nods to it in HotD but Dorne was a lot of people's least favourite thing in GoT so the Nymeria 10,000 ships one probably bites the dust as well. The one about Yi Ti probably goes as well because nobody cares outside of the hardcore fans who are really into the lore.

I'd rather watch an Arya sailing into the unknown spinoff than anything else they've proposed. Jon Snow served a purpose in the story but as a character he's really quite boring and predictable. I might check it out but I struggle seeing it being much good.

Dunk and Egg would be worthwhile though. Classic unlikely buddy buddy story in Westeros sounds fun.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
I'd rather watch an Arya sailing into the unknown spinoff than anything else they've proposed. Jon Snow served a purpose in the story but as a character he's really quite boring and predictable. I might check it out but I struggle seeing it being much good.

Dunk and Egg would be worthwhile though. Classic unlikely buddy buddy story in Westeros sounds fun.

If they have a Jon Snow spin off...they would absolutely be bringing back most of the characters, so you will get to see Arya sailing around or whatever happened after. It's not just going to be Jon Snow and them forgetting about the rest of his family lol.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
What is the Snow show even going to be about? Night King 2: Electric Boogaloo?
Jon Snow is the most boring character in the entire series. Prove me wrong.

I'd find more entertainment in watching a show about Stannis (Who is the true Prince that was promised, btw) sitting around on Dragonstone ruling in his quiet, uncharismatic, unwavering, watching paint dry manner.

Reactions: Vaheh

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
What is the Snow show even going to be about? Night King 2: Electric Boogaloo?
They could have done so much with this arc. Happiness was an illogical ending for GOT. A few of us have chatted on this subject.

It was already fact that humans fought A Night King in the past. The undead army could have broken through only to be defeated at the Capital. The dying/dead body of Dany is taken to the North where she is transformed into the new Night Queen because there always needs to be one due to what now mutated/lives beyond...

She is a not-as-evil Night Queen when Jon meets her again, yet her past behavior implies...and what lies beyond...

I'm sure they could come up with something much better than that, but it does show how they really didn't explore many possibilities.

Canadiens Ghost

Mr. Objectivity
Dec 14, 2011
Smurfland
They could have done so much with this arc. Happiness was an illogical ending for GOT. A few of us have chatted on this subject.

It was already fact that humans fought A Night King in the past. The undead army could have broken through only to be defeated at the Capital. The dying/dead body of Dany is taken to the North where she is transformed into the new Night Queen because there always needs to be one due to what now mutated/lives beyond...

She is a not-as-evil Night Queen when Jon meets her again, yet her past behavior implies...and what lies beyond...

I'm sure they could come up with something much better than that, but it does show how they really didn't explore many possibilities.
Maybe that could still happen. Her dragon could have taken her up north where she will become the Night Queen. :dunno:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad