Hosts for 2023-2025 named

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
So why is iihf insisting to put another whc there. They had it in 2014 ffs.

No idea. I can however tell you why Latvia paired up with Belarus. Had we applied to host WCH alone, we would have probably lost to Finland, so for us it was either this or nothing.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
No idea. I can however tell you why Latvia paired up with Belarus. Had we applied to host WCH alone, we would have probably lost to Finland, so for us it was either this or nothing.
Is there any suitable arena outside Riga?

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
So why is iihf insisting to put another whc there. They had it in 2014 ffs.
Why not, the 2014 edition had a great attendance. Now that the Čyžoŭka-Arena is replaced by the larger Arena Riga, I expect an even bigger success. There are also practically three home teams as the games involving Russia should sell out easily.

Reactions: VP and Exarz

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I'm not trolling.

And first and foremost, I'm not even arguing for a Saskatchewan tournament because I don't feel like anyone really cares about this tournament here in Canada. I merely replied to a European poster who said Saskatchewan cities had zero to offer as a host city. And I offered an example of something no Praha, no Helsinki, no country overseas could offer.

The Humboldt bus crash was a tragedy mourned across the world, and practically every NHL player donated to it, either with money or gear. There were countless puckdrops dedicated to the survivors and fallen, Every CHL team had drives, teams AROUND THE WORLD donated to the families and community. It was a loss felt by the entire hockey community. They even had a 15 minute tribute at the NHL awards in 2018. A tournament with professional hockey players taking part in and around the community would be a heartfelt boon-- not only would it be a media success, but the players, fans, and Humboldt community would have an emotional experience like no other. Again, something those other places couldn't match.
Stop with this ridiculousness, given the choice no one is going to choose Humboldt over a beautiful city in Europe for vacation or a tournament, regardless of the "emotional summit" . The chance of hosting an event of this magnitude in a Saskatchewan town in the middle of nowhere is none. Sorry, but thats the truth.

Also your statement about there not being anything like the Humboldt tragedy is ignorant. The Lokomotiv Yaroslavl crash and the Majory Stoneman Douglas shooting happened.

Reactions: Faterson

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Then go get the French and Italians to visit St.Petersburg. That's not Russia's nor IIHF's fault. How many italian fans were there in Bratislava? And let's not even start about the French.

There were A LOT of Italians in Bratislava actually. Oh, and France played in Košice so why would they be in Bratislava?

Reactions: VP

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
Sign me up as well for more multi-nation tournaments.
The aforementioned Copenhagen - Malmö or Vienna - Bratislava, for instance sounds great. Or maybe Riga - Helsinki? Berlin (it's always hosted in Cologne) and somewhere in Poland? Switzerland with Milano?

Splitting the tournament between two countries seems like a good way to have two "home countries" competing, while also letting maybe a more "experienced" nation host alongside a smaller (in terms of hockey) country.

I'd also like to see the tournament return to Canada some day. Obviously, the NHL proves an obstacle but there's still Quebec, Hamilton, Halifax, London, as large (ish) potential cities.

Reactions: cg98 and Urbanskog

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
It's fun that you googled my location and checked the indicated population on Wikipedia but I live ten kilometers from the Helsinki downtown so your comparison is a little dumb.

And if Regina and Saskatoon are on par with Espoo in "what the city offers", that's pretty sad for Regina and Saskatoon. Calling Espoo a city is quite questionable altogether.

Btw. I'd like to ask Finnish people one question: where do you think the final weekend will take place in 2022? I met a guy from Helsinki at the Worlds in Bratislava who was convinced Helsinki will host the semifinals, the bronze medal game and the final. I told him that just won't fly when we'll get a brand new arena here in Tampere in 2021 thanks to Kummola. I believe Tampere will host those games.

Last edited:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
And if Regina and Saskatoon are on par with Espoo in "what the city offers", that's pretty sad for Regina and Saskatoon. Calling Espoo a city is quite questionable altogether.

Btw. I'd like to ask Finnish people one question: where do you think the final weekend will take place in 2022? I met a guy from Helsinki at the Worlds in Bratislava who was convinced Helsinki will host the semifinals, the bronze medal game and the final. I told him that just won't fly when we'll get a brand new arena here in Tampere in 2021 thanks to Kummola. I believe Tampere will host those games.
I don't really see your point. Espoo is part of the Helsinki urban area just as say, Eastern Helsinki, but it just so happens that it is administratively independent.

What comes to the 2022 World Championship, I believe that the semifinals and medal games are indeed going to be held in Tampere. Can't say I really understand the decision to have a small and remote town serve as the main host city, but it is what it is.

Reactions: Lepardi

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
What comes to the 2022 World Championship, I believe that the semifinals and medal games are indeed going to be held in Tampere. Can't say I really understand the decision to have a small and remote town serve as the main host city, but it is what it is.

Tampere is hosting Finland's football matches at the moment as well, and even the super-urban people from Helsinki seem to be having fun in Ratina. If we're looking for a place that's the easiest for all Finns to reach, this is it. The proposed one-hour train from Helsinki probably won't be operating in 2022 yet, but it's still only a 90-minute train trip from the Helsinki airport and from Helsinki city centre, and the new arena will be right next to the Tampere railway station. In Espoo they don't really have a railway station but they can take the subway to Helsinki and carry on from there.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Tampere is hosting Finland's football matches at the moment as well, and even the super-urban people from Helsinki seem to be having fun in Ratina. If we're looking for a place that's the easiest for all Finns to reach, this is it. The proposed one-hour train from Helsinki probably won't be operating in 2022 yet, but it's still only a 90-minute train trip from the Helsinki airport and from Helsinki city centre, and the new arena will be right next to the Tampere railway station. In Espoo they don't really have a railway station but they can take the subway to Helsinki and carry on from there.
Right, but the World Championship is also an international event and it would make sense for the main venue to be in what is the capital and by far the largest city in the country. The airport and even the main passenger ports as well as a railway station linked to St. Petersburg are all there.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Petersburg is a beautiful imperial capital which has a significant number of hotels since it's one of main tourist attractions in the country. No excuses there - fill the arenas if the Russians don't want to.

There is one problem still no matter how much you praise the city. It is situated in Russia. That's quite a strong deterrent. Right now I believe I might be attending the tournament in 2021, 2022, 2024 and 2025. 2022 is a no-brainer as my hometown is hosting, and Prague, Sweden and Copenhagen are nice destinations. I'm not that keen on visiting Minsk but the people I went to Bratislava with already told me we're going. Switzerland is problematic because it's so damn expensive and Russia is problematic because it's Russia.

Right, but the World Championship is also an international event and it would make sense for the main venue to be in what is the capital and by far the largest city in the country. The airport and even the main passenger ports as well as a railway station linked to St. Petersburg are all there.

It's our turn now. We are the cradle of Finnish hockey. Helsinki will probably be hosting in 2031 or 2032 again. Turku can be the secondary venue if they have a new arena by then.

Last edited:

member 305909

Where exactly in Tampere is the new arena going to be built? The name kansi suggests that it is similar to the shopping center in Hämeenlinna, built on top of a motorway.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Where exactly in Tampere is the new arena going to be built? The name kansi suggests that it is similar to the shopping center in Hämeenlinna, built on top of a motorway.

https://www.srv.fi/kaupunkien-kehittaja/tampereen-kansi/

You can type "Technopolis Tampere" on Google Maps. The new arena will be right next to Technopolis. About a 5-minute walk from the main railway station and about a 10-minute walk from the Central Square.

The brand new tram system should also be operating by then. If you can't afford a hotel in the city centre, you can take a tram to the games.

Last edited:

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Tampere is not small and remote by our stantards, its the second city of Finland.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad