Hosts for 2023-2025 named

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Tampere is not small and remote by our stantards, its the second city of Finland.

Plus I think this is part of a process to move away from "that Russian owned arena" as the home of the Lions. When Helsinki Garden is finished and depending on the attendance limit, then it might return.

Reactions: Muuri

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Plus I think this is part of a process to move away from "that Russian owned arena" as the home of the Lions.

Where do you think Finland will be playing in the group stage? I think it might very well be Helsinki. Although it might also make sense to have them play here in Tampere as this town is easy to reach for Finns and Helsinki is more easily accessible for foreign tourists. The Tampere airport doesn't have many connections but we do have direct flights from Stockholm and Riga.

member 305909

In 1991 Turku was the host-city so nothing strange about Tampere being the host-city.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
Where do you think Finland will be playing in the group stage? I think it might very well be Helsinki. Although it might also make sense to have them play here in Tampere as this town is easy to reach for Finns and Helsinki is more easily accessible for foreign tourists. The Tampere airport doesn't have many connections but we do have direct flights from Stockholm and Riga.
Wouldn't be surprised if Finland played in Tampere. Looking at how well Huuhkajat filled the stadium in Tampere, it shouldn't be that hard to attract fans for a World Championship. And as stated, it is more easily accessed for foreign fans to go to Helsinki

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Reactions: Exarz

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
And the second host city is not necessarily even Helsinki as Turku and Jyväskylä are also in the competition. Realistically I don't see how could Jyväskylä be an option as they don't really have the facilities for it.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Looks like the IIHF plans to host their elite events (IIHF Worlds) at bigger venues (at least 10k) in the future. And that is the right decision.

Regarding St.Petersburg, the event will be well attended at the biggest hockey arena in the world.

It is true that Russia using such sports events to develop its infrastructure, not just sports venues but also roads, airports, hotels etc. Sochi Games, Krasnoyarsk Universiade, events in Kazan, IIHF Worlds, IIHF WJC, FIFA WC are the greatest examples.

If we look at hockey, Russia is the most progressive country in Europe in the area of new venues. just from my head for the last couple of years & upcoming years - new arenas in Moscow (3x), St.Petersburg, Omsk, Novosibirsk, Sochi, N.Novgorod, Ekaterinburg, all above 10-12k. I wish all Europe to be so active in building such big or bigger venues in other European cities.

Regarding Vienna-Bratislava. Would be cool & when they build a new venue in Vienna for 15-20k (planning), we can discuss it.

Last edited:

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Turku is also planning a new hockey area, but its in early stages and wont be ready for the next tournament.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
And the second host city is not necessarily even Helsinki as Turku and Jyväskylä are also in the competition. Realistically I don't see how could Jyväskylä be an option as they don't really have the facilities for it.

You haven't heard of the Hippos2020 project? They're updating all the recreational facilities in Jyväskylä, that includes building a new 6500 seater arena.

Jyväskylän Hippos2020 toteutumassa – Projektiuutiset.fi

Uusi monitoimiareena ja harjoitusjäähalli jäälajeille: 31 000 brm2, katsomopaikkoja noin 6500 ja tapahtumissa noin 8000.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
If I understand the IIHF´s actions, they do not wish to organise the IIHF Worlds at a 6500 seater arena anymore. The game of hockey deserves better & bigger venues than that.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I wish all Europe to be so active in building such big or bigger venues in other European cities.

There's no oligarchs or Gazproms willing to throw money around in Europe. In the Nordic countries the venues are often also built either by or in association with the city, meaning there's some cost sharing involved either by direct funding or "aid package" as was the case with Hartwall Areena.

Most European cities also don't have a need for a 10K indoor sports arena due to public interest not being big enough.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
I wish all Europe to be so active in building such big or bigger venues in other European cities.

While I appreciate it that we're getting this new arena in Tampere and that I'll probably be able to walk to the arena in 20 minutes from home in 2022, I fully understand why many people in Tampere are not that enthusiastic about this project. If Hjallis Harkimo couldn't make his arena profitable in Helsinki and had to sell it to the Russians, it's not easy to see how the business side of a similarly sized venue would work better here in a much smaller city. One of my workmates already jokingly said that he's changing his address to another municipality to avoid his tax money going into this project.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exarz

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
European club hockey will not develop if the clubs keep playing at small & old venues.

Tampere has two Liiga clubs, so the venue will help the league to have higher average attendance. Now the Liiga is even worse than the Czech league.

But yeah, if people are not interested in hockey in your city, it is pointless to build such an arena. Even though you can use the venue for other events too.

Living in a city brings its costs.

Regarding the IIHF Worlds, you really cannot expect the event like IIHF Worlds to be held at a small venue. Therefore Slovakia will have a big problem to host the event in the future because there is just one venue over 10k. The connection with Vienna or Brno would solve the problem, but both cities need to build a venue.

Lepardi

Jan 1, 2008
Finland
Tampere has two Liiga clubs, so the venue will help the league to have higher average attendance.

The capacity of the old arena has very rarely been a limiting factor. A normal regular season game has drawn around 3,000 or 4,000 people, and then they've announced an official number of 5,000. All those empty seats have been quite a sad sight even in Hakametsä, and 3,000 people will look even worse in a 13,000-seater.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The capacity of the old arena has very rarely been a limiting factor. A normal regular season game has drawn around 3,000 or 4,000 people, and then they've announced an official number of 5,000. All those empty seats have been quite a sad sight even in Hakametsä, and 3,000 people will look even worse in a 13,000-seater.
The club/s will need to work better with fanbase.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

Hakametsä is terrible for "business" as it has no modern luxury boxes and has been showing it's age for years. Plus they've already talked about covering up the upper sections for hockey games where attendance is now expected to be higher (derby games and HIFK or Kärpät will probably be the big games). Just like with "Jaffala", I expect there to be lost interest in the new shiny toy which will last probably a one or two seasons, after which the attendances drop and stabilize.

Muuri

Nov 14, 2009
Current arena in Turku can host attendence of 11k people. Location and public transport connections there are quite horrid though, so its not optimal.

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
Depending on the arena, I'm not sure that will matter much to the IIHF. The Danes managed to make Herning work despite its lack of public transport and hotel rooms. I can't imagine Turku being as challenging.

I personally wouldn't mind going back to Helsinki, but it would be great to see some other parts of the country as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->