Hosts for 2023-2025 named

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I'm sorry, but how is the Humboldt Broncos incident even remotely comparable to European tourist attractions?

They're both experiences.

Experiencing that emotional summit, with so many different countries coming together would be an epic experience; something to truly remember. It's the same reason why people go off the beaten path for their vacations nowadays. A truly memorable trip isn't about the stupid tourist attractions, especially in this day and age where, it's about once in a life time experiences.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
They're both experiences.

Experiencing that emotional summit, with so many different countries coming together would be an epic experience; something to truly remember. It's the same reason why people go off the beaten path for their vacations nowadays. A truly memorable trip isn't about the stupid tourist attractions, especially in this day and age where, it's about once in a life time experiences.
It's not even comparable. Experiencing an emotional summit ≠ experiencing a nice vacation in a beautiful European city while representing your nation at the World Championship

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
There has never been a story as gut-wrenching as the Humboldt Broncos. The sad happening, united an entire hockey world. People from all of the world came together for that community. Hockey players from all over the world care more about that community, than any night club, or restaurant in some European country.
So hockey players from all over the world would want to travel to Humboldt because of the Broncos tragedy? I'm not too convinced.

Thankfully we have you here, the "expert" on Canada.
I certainly consider those two to be small towns. Would you not?

Reactions: Exarz

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
They're not big cities, but they provided solid attendance in World Juniors.
Right, but these are two different events. The 2010 WJC only had 31 games compared to the 64 of the World Championship and as an event the WJC is far more familiar to Canadians.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
True, but even the relegation game between Latvia and Austria was quite well attended back then so there was definitely some thirst left for more. And if the average will be something like 8k instead of the 10k back then still it wouldn't be a disaster.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
Slovakia was told that it must build another 10K+ arena if it wants to host again. So that's it for Kosice. Our federation already announced that it has a goal of building a new arena, likely Banska Bystrica/Zvolen region, but other regions were also mentioned. They're aiming at some mix of private and public investments.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I guarantee you more hockey players care more about Humboldt than say the Prague Castle or any oher attraction or spectacle in these places. These Saskatchewan cities offer way more for the game of hockey. Again, it's moot because no one in NA cares about the WC.

I could be wrong but I don't think hockey players really care much about the sights in the place where the tournament is played (or, like, have any say in it?), they care about having fans cheering them on. People attending the tournament sure, sights can be an added attraction, but I don't think most people know what Humboldt is, so it strikes me that you're probably trolling anyhow, except that it's not actually funny so it just comes across as... dumb?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Gothenburg is getting a new 15.000 seat arena, they plan to have it finished by 2026. Maybe they can speed it up a bit if the Swedish Olympic bid for 2026 wins (let's hope it doesn't). Malmö - Copenhagen would be the obvious choices in 2025.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I could be wrong but I don't think hockey players really care much about the sights in the place where the tournament is played (or, like, have any say in it?), they care about having fans cheering them on. People attending the tournament sure, sights can be an added attraction, but I don't think most people know what Humboldt is, so it strikes me that you're probably trolling anyhow, except that it's not actually funny so it just comes across as... dumb?

I'm not trolling.

And first and foremost, I'm not even arguing for a Saskatchewan tournament because I don't feel like anyone really cares about this tournament here in Canada. I merely replied to a European poster who said Saskatchewan cities had zero to offer as a host city. And I offered an example of something no Praha, no Helsinki, no country overseas could offer.

The Humboldt bus crash was a tragedy mourned across the world, and practically every NHL player donated to it, either with money or gear. There were countless puckdrops dedicated to the survivors and fallen, Every CHL team had drives, teams AROUND THE WORLD donated to the families and community. It was a loss felt by the entire hockey community. They even had a 15 minute tribute at the NHL awards in 2018. A tournament with professional hockey players taking part in and around the community would be a heartfelt boon-- not only would it be a media success, but the players, fans, and Humboldt community would have an emotional experience like no other. Again, something those other places couldn't match.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Canadians and their nose up to the sky :D:D
Yeah, that wasn't a well thought out comment

No Canadian city offers similar experience like Prague or even Helsinki, they should expand their horizons.
This isn't well thought either (I think you and that other poster may have more in common than you think)

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
They're on par with places like Espoo and Praha for both population, and what the city offers.
Actually the entire province of Saskatchewan has fewer people than Prague & Helsinki has more people than Regina and Saskatoon combined

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The Humboldt bus crash was a tragedy mourned across the world, and practically every NHL player donated to it, either with money or gear. There were countless puckdrops dedicated to the survivors and fallen, Every CHL team had drives, teams AROUND THE WORLD donated to the families and community. It was a loss felt by the entire hockey community. They even had a 15 minute tribute at the NHL awards in 2018. A tournament with professional hockey players taking part in and around the community would be a heartfelt boon-- not only would it be a media success, but the players, fans, and Humboldt community would have an emotional experience like no other. Again, something those other places couldn't match.

So does that mean Yaroslavl would be a great place to host the tournament? That was a much bigger deal... I mean, I guess it could be a factor? But honestly an entirely peripheral one.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
I'm not trolling.

And first and foremost, I'm not even arguing for a Saskatchewan tournament because I don't feel like anyone really cares about this tournament here in Canada. I merely replied to a European poster who said Saskatchewan cities had zero to offer as a host city. And I offered an example of something no Praha, no Helsinki, no country overseas could offer.

Wow, I can't believe you're writing this :facepalm:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Slovakia was told that it must build another 10K+ arena if it wants to host again. So that's it for Kosice. Our federation already announced that it has a goal of building a new arena, likely Banska Bystrica/Zvolen region, but other regions were also mentioned. They're aiming at some mix of private and public investments.

What about a joint bid with Poland? They have a nice arena in Kraków and the attendance of the Division I tournaments has been pretty good.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The marginals aren't that big after all, Great Britain and Poland are much closer to one another than either compared to an average top flight team. The rest is up to the IIHF congress.

Reactions: Exarz

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Why is belarus hosting again in 2021? They just had it, and that tournament was a scandal.

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
Leaving out the small matter that the tournament is prohibited from being hosted in the US or Canada (2008 excepted), probably not. In each of those, the NHL team's arena would be required (good luck scheduling that around the playoffs) and while the various NCAA arenas could work as secondary venues, they'll be needed for commencement activities, restricting their availability.

FYI, The University of Michigan doesn't use Yost Ice Arena for commencement -- they use Crisler Arena, home of the basketball team. I still don't think Michigan would be interested , though, and capacity may not be big enough to suit the IIHF -- although I doubt the event would fill the arena, as the tournament probably wouldn't be a great draw. USA Hockey Arena here in Plymouth isn't big enough, as capacity is only 3,500, and it gets used a lot for high school commencements anyway.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
I'm not trolling.

Majority of people here in Europe have never heard about it.

Reactions: Faterson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->