Hosts for 2023-2025 named

BOS358

Purveyor of unpopular opinions
Jul 20, 2017
Boston
In Russia there are plenty of new options like Kazan for example. In Czechia Brno or perhaps Plzeň. As for countries that haven't hosted recently there would also be possibilities like Great Britain or Norway.

Regarding Russia: 80% of the population lives in the European part of Russia and the two largest cities are Moscow and St. Petersburg. If the Russian Hockey Federation thought they could sell more tickets by having it in Kazan or Omsk, they would.

Regarding Czechia (it will take some time to get used to that name): Prague and Ostrava hosted the best and fourth-best attended Championships. Why change?

Do Great Britain and Norway have the venues capable of hosting the event? I would be surprised if they did.

I would, however, like to see the Championship come back to Germany soon.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Hahaha

in all seriousness a Halifax/Quebec option would be good. Didn't they do that before? I'm still waiting for the Halifax/Moncton World Junior's.
Yeah in 2008 but solely because 100 years of IIHF celebration, we can look forward 2108 then.

Keyal

May 18, 2016
Belza, Slovakia
I'd rather see more tournaments shared between different countries. Bratislava-Vienna or Bratislava-Budapest or Budapest-Vienna could be great, for example. I don't see why does Slovakia always need to include Kosice in the bid when there's only one decent arena in the country. Copenhagen-Malmö in 2025 would be a good combination as well.
Bratislava-Vienna would have been really cool. I guess the biggest problem of this combo is austrian hockey interest

Reactions: VP

RageQuit77

Jan 5, 2016
Finland, Kotka
Canada should put in an application. Its statistically somewhat secured factoid that there will be available arenas and audiences free for the tournament at least in Toronto and Edmonton. Ottawa has no enough audiences, and esteemed Montreal cannot be tarnished with that low-level tournament as WHC (by default not best-on-best) is. Winnipeg would be optimal audience-wise, but nobody in their sane minds would go there in the middle of frozen prairie to organize a tournament, no WIFI! Quebec is out of question without France in the top division, and some free vouchers provided by Hockey Canada for that cause. But certainly and generally, expected availability of arenas of Canadian NHL teams isn't the problem.

World wide growth of hockey is in the deep crisis.

Maybe there could be some kind top level Redemption league for all relevant and interested parties in which they would compete for Kanada-malja - Wikipedia

:sarcasm::naughty:

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Then go get the French and Italians to visit St.Petersburg. That's not Russia's nor IIHF's fault. How many italian fans were there in Bratislava? And let's not even start about the French.
This year's World Championship has been rather well-attended, including the games between lesser teams. The 2000 World Championship in St. Petersburg also had poor attendance, it seems that it's difficult to get Russians to attend any other games besides the ones in which Russia is appearing.

Naturally, Russia is also a less attractive destination for tourism than most other countries.

Reactions: VP

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Regarding Russia: 80% of the population lives in the European part of Russia and the two largest cities are Moscow and St. Petersburg. If the Russian Hockey Federation thought they could sell more tickets by having it in Kazan or Omsk, they would.

That's not how things work in Russia. The outcome is essentially determined by personal relationships and the games take place in St. Petersburg because Rotenberg and Timchenko want it so. Whether any tickets are sold is completely secondary, beyond Russia's games in the new arena of course.

Regarding Czechia (it will take some time to get used to that name): Prague and Ostrava hosted the best and fourth-best attended Championships. Why change?

Because Xth time in Ostrava has no additional value anymore. The tournament should also help hockey grow as a game, it does not mean that every edition has to be in a new and exotic location but at the moment the rotation is way too conservative altogether.

Do Great Britain and Norway have the venues capable of hosting the event? I would be surprised if they did.

In 1999 Norway used Håkons Hall in Lillehammer, CC Amfi in Hamar, and Jordal Amfi in Oslo. New options could be Spektrum in Oslo or DNB Arena in Stavanger. In Trondheim there's also a new arena being built for the European Handball Championships but I don't know how well suited it's going to be for hockey.

Great Britain has a wide range of options, the most obvious would be Sheffield Arena and the National Ice Centre in Nottingham. Manchester Arena or the O2 in London are larger alternatives. Or to avoid two English venues for example the Odyssey in Belfast.

Uncle Rotter

May 11, 2010
Kelowna, B.C.
I'd rather see more tournaments shared between different countries. Bratislava-Vienna or Bratislava-Budapest or Budapest-Vienna could be great, for example. I don't see why does Slovakia always need to include Kosice in the bid when there's only one decent arena in the country. Copenhagen-Malmö in 2025 would be a good combination as well.
Hungary's been closer to being relegated to Division 1 B than making the top group in the last few years. No charity.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
Those are small towns in the middle of nowhere, the attendance would be awful.

They're on par with places like Espoo and Praha for both population, and what the city offers.

The attendance probably would be pretty bad though, pretty much because no one cares about the WC in NA. Even in a hockey-centric city like Regina or Saskatoon with no other draw besides CHL and junior hockey.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
They're on par with places like Espoo and Praha for both population, and what the city offers.

The attendance probably would be pretty bad though, pretty much because no one cares about the WC in NA. Even in a hockey-centric city like Regina or Saskatoon with no other draw besides CHL and junior hockey.
It's fun that you googled my location and checked the indicated population on Wikipedia but I live ten kilometers from the Helsinki downtown so your comparison is a little dumb.

These places are absolutely nowhere near Helsinki or Prague regarding their size or what the cities have to offer. It's laughable to even suggest something like that.

Last edited:

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012

Seriously, those places have more to offer than Prague? That's one hilarious statement.

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
It's fun that you googled my location and checked the indicated population on Wikipedia but I live ten kilometers from the Helsinki downtown so your comparison is a little dumb.

These places are absolutely nowhere near Helsinki or Prague regarding their size or what the cities have to offer. It's laughable to even suggest something like that.

I guarantee you more hockey players care more about Humboldt than say the Prague Castle or any oher attraction or spectacle in these places. These Saskatchewan cities offer way more for the game of hockey. Again, it's moot because no one in NA cares about the WC.

Nexon

Apr 18, 2019
Seriously, those places have more to offer than Prague? That's one hilarious statement.

Canadians and their nose up to the sky :D:D
No Canadian city offers similar experience like Prague or even Helsinki, they should expand their horizons.

Back to the topic, it would definitely draw respectable attendance because still people would be curious about it and willing to know how Canada would fare. On the other hand I would not put it to USA, there was bad attendance in Buffalo in wjc 2018 and that's much bigger event there.

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
I guarantee you more hockey players care more about Humboldt than say the Prague Castle or any oher attraction or spectacle in these places.
I'm not even sure what do you mean by "Humboldt" — Google tells me it is some village of 6000 people in rural Saskatchewan? And you believe that more hockey players would care about this place than Prague? Certainly an interesting claim.

These Saskatchewan cities offer way more for the game of hockey.
How exactly?

Again, it's moot because no one in NA cares about the WC.
Well, the tournament allocation for the World Championship is literally what is being discussed here.

Reactions: MadArcand

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
Lol, there's not one city in Canada that offers the beauty of an European Location. Imagine an ugly city like Montreal hosting this tournament, the city's more broken then a war zone. It's best they don't hold it here, let the nhl fans rot with their Americanized version of the sport while the real Hockey fans attend and enjoy the only real Hockey offered in may.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
In Russia there are plenty of new options like Kazan for example. In Czechia Brno or perhaps Plzeň. As for countries that haven't hosted recently there would also be possibilities like Great Britain or Norway. Personally I would favor giving a Division I country the opportunity once in a decade.

It could be Praha-Brno in 2024, all depends whether the city of Brno is able to build a new (so needed) arena which is among the main projects in Brno for a few of years already. However, when it comes to transport & technical infastructure in the Czech Republic, and other large constructions (e.g. multipurpose arena) and their time schedule from project management to building permit and completion... it will be Praha-Ostrava once again.

Currently there seem to be at least an agreement on location where the arena will be built (finally). We'll see, organizators are counting with the possibility to have a new arena in Brno by that time though. Therefore host cities in the Czech Republic are not '100% set', respectively only Prague is.

What? Are you really comparing cities like Saskatoon and Regina with Prague? You can't be serious. Prague has metropolitan area which includes more than 2 mil. inhabitants and is one of the most visited cities in the world - no more needs to be said. Cities like Saskatoon and Regina are small cities which have nothing to provide compared to Prague, or Helsinki. Just ridiculous statement.

Last edited:

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
St. Petersburg is the easiest location for international hockey fans to attend in Russia. You can drive from Finland and Latvia, you can sail (with or without car) from all of Scandinavia, you can fly directly to Pulkovo or transfer via Moscow by plane or by train. Petersburg is a beautiful imperial capital which has a significant number of hotels since it's one of main tourist attractions in the country. No excuses there - fill the arenas if the Russians don't want to.

Reactions: Faterson

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No excuses there - fill the arenas if the Russians don't want to.

Will there be visa-free access? Considering how restrictive Russia's visa policy is that matters quite a bit more than how many hours of drive away it is.

Mirinho

Jan 23, 2007
Regarding Czechia (it will take some time to get used to that name)

It's so stupid name. And I'm telling it as Czech. I don't get it till now why some czech politicians officialy set this nonsense as official name. For me we are, were and always will be the Czech Republic :thumbu:

So nevermind if you won't get use to Czechia :help:

Reactions: maclean

greasysnapper

Apr 6, 2018
I'm not even sure what do you mean by "Humboldt" — Google tells me it is some village of 6000 people in rural Saskatchewan? And you believe that more hockey players would care about this place than Prague? Certainly an interesting claim.

How exactly?

There has never been a story as gut-wrenching as the Humboldt Broncos. The sad happening, united an entire hockey world. People from all of the world came together for that community. Hockey players from all over the world care more about that community, than any night club, or restaurant in some European country.

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
There has never been a story as gut-wrenching as the Humboldt Broncos. The sad happening, united an entire hockey world. People from all of the world came together for that community. Hockey players from all over the world care more about that community, than any night club, or restaurant in some European country.
I'm sorry, but how is the Humboldt Broncos incident even remotely comparable to European tourist attractions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad