Speculation: Hossa recapture penalty

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
It's quite obvious Hossa was not healthy the past two years. Because he's the ultimate professional he never complained. But when this guy is right, he's still one of the best all around players in the game and so easy to play with. There's a reason why his teams always seem to make deep runs in major tournaments.

Don't get me wrong, Hossa's not the finisher he once was despite his recent goal streak. But the other parts of the game hasn't noticeably slowed down. He's still darn good. Let's just make sure to keep Hossa fresh for the playoffs. This guy is a freak of nature. And one day when Hossa retires, he'll always be known as Blackhawk and not as a Senator.

Maybe I am being too optimistic, but I hope he can score 30 once again this year. He certainly put himself on track with 8 goals this early in the season. I'm happy to see him still doing so well at his age. He is my favorite player ever by miles.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Sell I am surprised he has found d he can bet goalies again ..So if this is his rebound year and we get 30 from him this season..fantastic ..After this season 4 more years remaining o his deal ..and he only gets paid $1 million each year of the 4 years starting next seaon..Next seson's if he drops back to a mere 20 goal.le El, still happy..The final 3 seasons thereafter next season will be problematic...he may be then have to play less minutes on a 3rd or 4th line....if he muster 10-15 goals we must be satisfied..if he falls off to a 5 goals level, it will still. be no worse than a 4th line grunt ...except you do not pay 4th line grunts over $5 million on cap...Hossa may decide that $1million actual pay is not 2orth the grill d for his body. SO he could decide he has had enough and retire a year or two 9r three early.

Gooner

Feb 21, 2016
Munich
I think it's unrealistic to expect Hossa to keep this kind of form up throughout the whole season, but it's certainly great to see him playing so well and very encouraging that he can still turn it up, come playoff time he will once again be crucial to the team's success and the day he stops playing for the Hawks will be a sad one.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I hope its the case, but how many times do we have to hear a player say one thing only to do another before we learn that theyre media trained, pr savvy people that know what answer will garner the best response?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I hope its the case, but how many times do we have to hear a player say one thing only to do another before we learn that theyre media trained, pr savvy people that know what answer will garner the best response?

dang all this sugar, peaches and cream the is spewing from the hawks FO is revolting. come on, get the fans a little more credit for being a little intelligent.

i understand it when and before the hawks were winning the SC or even when Kane supposed indiscretion. but come on now.....:rant:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I have no reason not to believe Hossa. I sure as hell don't believe he will retire at the end of this year despite the peanuts he will be making next year.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I have no reason not to believe Hossa. I sure as hell don't believe he will retire at the end of this year despite the peanuts he will be making next year.

again, for my disclaimer, i am a very skeptical person in general. so with that, i can see this as a pr move, for lip service. keep telling he will not retire, and if he doesn't perform in the future, he gets a mysterious injury that will keep him sideline until he contract ends.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
I doubt Hossa plays 4 years at 1 Mil but I'm almost certain he plays next year (barring a serious injury or something else unexpected). Also the only quote in there is from Bowman and it doesn't say anything about how many more years he will play so where is the "report" coming from?

ModryJazyk

Go Hawks !
Feb 22, 2010
Bratislava
I doubt Hossa plays 4 years at 1 Mil but I'm almost certain he plays next year (barring a serious injury or something else unexpected). Also the only quote in there is from Bowman and it doesn't say anything about how many more years he will play so where is the "report" coming from?

do you think guys like Hossa and Jagr play because they need or want more money ? Only thing what will determine if Hossa plays those 4 years is health, not money.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
do you think guys like Hossa and Jagr play because they need or want more money ? Only thing what will determine if Hossa plays those 4 years is health, not money.

a pov that i never really thought about. playing for the love of the game ..... yeah, however i can see his self esteem taking over, not letting himself being talk about if his skill greatly diminish.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
The difference is that Jagr is making $4 million this year and is a free agent and can sign elsewhere for whoever he wants for whatever reason he wants (likes their chances, likes their market, likes their ability to pay more than anybody else, etc.

Hossa meanwhile also makes $4 million this year, but is then locked in to only a million a year for four years after that.

Love for the game is still a thing, but whether or not Hossa thinks it's worth the wear and tear for a million a year and Jagr for possibly another multimillion dollar a year contract are two different animals.

That being said, I still think that the Hawks and Hossa already have an exit strategy to emulate the Pronger situation is Hossa ever wants out early.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The difference is that Jagr is making $4 million this year and is a free agent and can sign elsewhere for whoever he wants for whatever reason he wants (likes their chances, likes their market, likes their ability to pay more than anybody else, etc.

Hossa meanwhile also makes $4 million this year, but is then locked in to only a million a year for four years after that.

Love for the game is still a thing, but whether or not Hossa thinks it's worth the wear and tear for a million a year and Jagr for possibly another multimillion dollar a year contract are two different animals.

That being said, I still think that the Hawks and Hossa already have an exit strategy to emulate the Pronger situation is Hossa ever wants out early.

So do you thing Jagr would have retired a couple of years ago if he was at the end of a long term contract that only paid him 1mil/yr? I don't think so.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Maybe, maybe not, but there's a reason why Jagr keeps signing one year contracts. Since he's come back to the NHL in 2011, he's signed six one-year contracts, any one of which saw him earn as much as Hossa will earn for most, or even the remainder, of his contract left with us after this year. He has the best of both worlds. Not only is Jagr able to sign solid payday contracts as teams aren't having to fear any lengthy term, but he has the ultimate ability to retire whenever he wants and to leave any city he sours against without any problem.

Hossa has had a phenomenal career. Three Cup rings, an assured place in the Hall of Fame, and over $80 million in cumulative earnings. He's set for life, his legacy is secured, and he's seemingly healthy. Is the latter worth risking when you're talking about $4 million more if he plays four more years? Maybe, maybe not. If he keeps it up and finishes out his contract with us, fantastic. But if he loses a step and doesn't want to keep skating up for just a few extra cherries on top of his sundae of career earnings, I'm entirely expecting a Pronger-like LTIR situation to be declared over a chronic issue to wipe out the remainder of his contract and remove the cap hit against us as well. Many will cry foul, but the NHL has already given the okay for their money franchises to do just that with future Hall of Famers.

Last edited:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

but here is the point, both sides of the party, hossa and his people, hawks and their people, didn't know was will happen to hossa, but when he signed the contract. seriously, how long ago was that contract signed??

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Maybe, maybe not, but there's a reason why Jagr keeps signing one year contracts. Since he's come back to the NHL in 2011, he's signed six one-year contracts, any one of which saw him earn as much as Hossa will earn for most, or even the remainder, of his contract left with us after this year. He has the best of both worlds. Not only is Jagr able to sign solid payday contracts as teams aren't having to fear any lengthy term, but he has the ultimate ability to retire whenever he wants and to leave any city he sours against without any problem.

Hossa has had a phenomenal career. Three Cup rings, an assured place in the Hall of Fame, and over $80 million in cumulative earnings. He's set for life, his legacy is secured, and he's seemingly healthy. Is the latter worth risking when you're talking about $4 million more if he plays four more years? Maybe, maybe not. If he keeps it up and finishes out his contract with us, fantastic. But if he loses a step and doesn't want to keep skating up for just a few extra cherries on top of his sundae of career earnings, I'm entirely expecting a Pronger-like LTIR situation to be declared over a chronic issue to wipe out the remainder of his contract and remove the cap hit against us as well. Many will cry foul, but the NHL has already given the okay for their money franchises to do just that with future Hall of Famers.

exactly on your whole post.

re the bold, last yr, i was mentioning this possibility, i never thought he would rebound the way he did.

that was why a few weeks back, i said i was extremely wrong in my opinion concerning hossa and being finish and i am still glad i am wrong.

now my skeptical side showing, i will wait to see next yr on what happens.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't think Hossa wants to retire. I think he can Play out his contract and I don't see Money being the Problem. Jagr signs 1 year deals to get the most Money paired with getting to retire whenever he wants without leaving the Team with a signed contract.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I don't think Hossa wants to retire. I think he can Play out his contract and I don't see Money being the Problem. Jagr signs 1 year deals to get the most Money paired with getting to retire whenever he wants without leaving the Team with a signed contract.

nice point.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC

Hossa's a different cat. The guy just loves hockey. I see him playing at least another year. Maybe he retires in 2018. But I don't think he retires anytime soon. And I believe he likes playing in Chicago.

Jagr is driven by different things. Self admittedly, women are a major driver. That's no secret. I see him wanting to play in only 3 places. LA, NYC, and Miami.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
When I think of a guy like Jagr and the success he's had at his age and then try to find a comparable there are only a couple guys that pop to mind. Thornton seems like one, but Hossa definitely jumps to mind.
The way that he uses his body and strength to protect the puck is world-class (even at his age right now).

I don't think there is any question that Hossa can still be a vital player on the Hawks for at least a couple more years and I could see him playing until the end of his contract if he's happy only making $1M.
Last year was certainly an off year for him, but the way he's played this year has to make you think that last year was the one anomaly and isn't destined to become the regular all of a sudden.

*** Jagr is in a level all by himself and is probably one of the top 5 players in NHL history, so I'm using the word 'comparable' very loosely

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

Jagr is known to be a big time gambler who's lost millions in the past. There's nothing wrong with that, but let's not act like he's somehow above the rest of the guys who want to get paid. Jagr is making 4 million dollars this year. Money has something to do with it.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I think a driving factor is that Hossa is a mere 31 goals away from tying Stan Mikita for the most goals by a Slovak-born NHL'er.

As cool as it would be to see him get it *this* year, being realistic chances are he'll probably be 10-15 short--which is completely do-able next year and would put an exclamation mark on his legacy.

Ergo, if he does Pronger himself, it won't be this coming season.

DPHawk

Oct 31, 2013
Jagr is known to be a big time gambler who's lost millions in the past. There's nothing wrong with that, but let's not act like he's somehow above the rest of the guys who want to get paid. Jagr is making 4 million dollars this year. Money has something to do with it.

Just a small correction, Jagr has a 1.5M GP bonus which maxes out at 45 GP. He has already made an extra 600K on top of his 4M in salary. Certainly no comparison to the situation Hossa will be in going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad