Horvat: “Yeah, that's definitely a no-go on the road. No more Fortnite.”

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You missed the point, teams aren't banning alcohol but they are banning a video game

That is ridiculous and you know it
What i have a hard time understanding is the outrage over it. For example if a team banned alcohol i wouldn't care, it's probably for the best even though most players can drink responsibly.

So why the outrage over video games?

SharksCyclops

May 4, 2010
Bay Area
Sometimes a team needs a culture change. If banning a video game can create so much backlash, surely that passion could be conveyed on the ice, or just focusing on the real game more. A lot of things can be a distraction or even an addiction but that argument is moot, this is about winning more hockey, if this is too much to ask, then play professional video games.

Plus, if half the guys in the league have to go without the physical touch of their wives or kids' hugs for periods of time, it's not much to ask them to not play a video game that has already proven to be a distraction.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I'm surprised so many posters are trying to gloss over this. If it wasn't a problem it wouldn't be addressed this way. Some players are having issues and it's affecting their play.

I think young people know that this is just the older generation not getting it.

Pretty sure myself and many others sit here and wonder how we can all carry on careers/school but apparently these professional athletes are the only ones that can't. It's a joke.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Getting the vibes that the NHL is not a good place for introverts, especially while on the road
The social expectations for young men living on the road in hotels/planes/hockey rinks are far different than they are for your typical millennial working their 9-5 and going home to their girlfriend or cat.

It would be a terrible experience to be around a bunch of kids that are addicted to fortnite.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
I think young people know that this is just the older generation not getting it.

Pretty sure myself and many others sit here and wonder how we can all carry on careers/school but apparently these professional athletes are the only ones that can't. It's a joke.
Your life is not the same as a professional athlete.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Your life is not the same as a professional athlete.

You're right, I actually have to set a bed time and a time to wake up every day.

The social expectations for young men living on the road in hotels/planes/hockey rinks are far different than they are for your typical millennial working their 9-5 and going home to their girlfriend or cat.

It would be a terrible experience to be around a bunch of kids that are addicted to fortnite.

297.png

Reactions: shmotz and izzy

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

terrible experience for who

Reactions: Patrik Barkov

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You're right, I actually have to set a bed time and a time to wake up every day.
Exactly, and outside of work you don't have to burden anyone with your presence. You can go home and play video games in the comfort and privacy of your own home. These guys spend a LOT of time together and its obvious that excessive gaming is becoming a problem in the league.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

How does this play in to the NHL not being a good place for introverts?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
What i have a hard time understanding is the outrage over it. For example if a team banned alcohol i wouldn't care, it's probably for the best even though most players can drink responsibly.

So why the outrage over video games?

Alcohol Is MUCH more dangerous than video games you don't see how ridiculous that is? here let me help you out, nobody has ever got behind thr wheel of a car and killed a family of 6 because they played to many video games that's not a thing, but I wouldn't have to look to hard to find examples of people being idiots getting behind the wheel drunk and killing that same family of 6.

Yet one is banned, the other isn't a somehow you can't see how the is ridiculous.

And no Alcohol shouldn't be banned either but it should be banned WAY before video games.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
How does this play in to the NHL not being a good place for introverts?
They spend an abnormal amount of time with their coworkers/peers in a largely social setting. They make their living by playing a game, which is very social in itself. They travel a lot, which is a social activity, they room together, train together, eat together, etc.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
They spend an abnormal amount of time with their coworkers/peers in a largely social setting. They make their living by playing a game, which is very social in itself. They travel a lot, which is a social activity, they room together, train together, eat together, etc.

Exactly, they room together, they train together, they eat together etc...

They don't need to spend every living moment with each other BUT in case you want them to, they usually game together.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast
See Dougie Hamilton...

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Yeah which is why playing video games can be a good escape from this crazy social lifestyle.

Lol I don't know if we are on the same page or not here :p

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
It becomes so apparent the age difference on these forums (or even society in general) when things like video games are brought up.

Such a difference in generations and such a lack of understanding by older generations.

For what its worth, I know for a fact that almost every single player on the Leafs is gaming and a good portion on Xbox. It really isn't hard to find most of the players accounts either so you could easily see how much they are playing.

Reactions: shmotz

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Yeah which is why playing video games can be a good escape from this crazy social lifestyle.

Lol I don't know if we are on the same page or not here :p
I don't think we're that far apart. I don't think video games are bad. I also don't think banning video games is bad either.

For the video game crowd - do you think its acceptable to go out for supper with friends/family and to have your nose in your phone, or do you put your phone away?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
It becomes so apparent the age difference on these forums (or even society in general) when things like video games are brought up.

Such a difference in generations and such a lack of understanding by older generations.

For what its worth, I know for a fact that almost every single player on the Leafs is gaming and a good portion on Xbox. It really isn't hard to find most of the players accounts either so you could easily see how much they are playing.
I can admit that there is a lack of understanding of games on my part. My biggest gripe with it is the time/place of it.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Exactly, and outside of work you don't have to burden anyone with your presence. You can go home and play video games in the comfort and privacy of your own home. These guys spend a LOT of time together and its obvious that excessive gaming is becoming a problem in the league.
But it's sometimes not healthy to spend all your time with your workmates, which is the case for a long road trip, for example.

People need their own time away from others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad