Horvat: “Yeah, that's definitely a no-go on the road. No more Fortnite.”

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
This is nothing new. Heard stories of players being told they would be fined if caught in any arcade in the 80s. Someone on the early to mid 80s Red Wings, might have even been Adam Oates but it has been too long.

Just an easy scapegoat. If the players in turn tried to ban GMs and coaches from playing poker there would be hell on earth even though they take up the same amount of time.

Not really. People stay up 24/7 to play video games. For a professional it can and clearly does affect performance not to mention comraderie. Not surprised teams are clamping down-at least during the season.

Reactions: Bourdon

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Amazing....I'm able to work a regular adult job, handle house duties and spend some time on the xbox almost every day without it interfering with going to bed or getting up and doing it all over again. Guess that's the difference between kids and adults.

I could only imagine how much more difficult this would be If I was a pro Athlete where the majority of my day didnt involve actual work.

Last edited:
Reactions: shmotz

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Not really. People stay up 24/7 to play video games. For a professional it can and clearly does affect performance not to mention comraderie. Not surprised teams are clamping down-at least during the season.

Yeah, pretty sure if a player was up late before game time it was because of alcohol or ass.

Figgzfood

Nov 15, 2017
Amazing....I'm able to work a regular adult job, handle house duties and spend some time on the xbox almost every day without it interfering with going to bed or getting up and doing it all over again. Guess that's the difference between kids and adults.

I could only imagine how much more difficult this would be If I was a pro Athlete where the majority of my day didnt involve actual work.

Desk job or physically demanding?
Seriously curious

end

Mar 18, 2007
Arklay Mansion
Hey, awful conservative middle aged hockey men, you sure do like that Canadian role model Sidney Crosby, don't you? You love how he's all about work ethic, competitiveness, motivation, professionalism... sure would be a shame if he were to PLAY A VIDEO GAME!!!!!!

Just think of how many secret gamers have lifted the Stanley Cup already!

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
That's dumb. If video games helps someone pass the boredom in between the down times they get, it should be allowed.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Seems like a Canucks thing to do lol

I feel like this is completely unnecessary and just feels like Horvat and co pushing down their ego across the team because they don’t play he game.

Barkov, one of the most hardworking and dedicated player is a known video game lover. I don’t know about right now but OV used to carry around his gaming console everywhere. We all know the story with the Maple leafs as well.

If this was about limiting how much they play and holding them accountable Id have no problem with it, I think that’s a good thing. I don’t like this because it’s essentially forcing the whole team to get dinner together every night and boring the young guys to death. Just let them do what they want, it’s their responsibility and free time.

Last edited:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Hey, awful conservative middle aged hockey men, you sure do like that Canadian role model Sidney Crosby, don't you? You love how he's all about work ethic, competitiveness, motivation, professionalism... sure would be a shame if he were to PLAY A VIDEO GAME!!!!!!

oh man, SOCOM. I shudder to think how many hours I put into that and SOCOM 2 like 15 years ago.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Horvat is 23 though.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Too bad Fortnite is a crap game, run by an incompetent developer, that only exists because their version of the arena genre was free.

Classic cheapskate developer that makes a shitty game free with a lot of microtranscations for little kids and idiots. Stuff like that and lootboxes are my #1 pet peeve in gaming.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton

Nobody is saying you can't still play your video games, just that professional athletes have, um, different expectations out of them than you do, especially socially.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
This pissed me off more than i thought, Horvat not gonna get my support for captain after this stupid shit

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This is f***ing stupid, they banned a video game, but I'm willing to bet they didn't ban Alco or other FAR more serious vices.

I don't even like Fortnite but this is ridiculous you banned a video game but not drugs and alcohol

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Old people don't understand video games. Nothing new, just not in touch with the current generation.

Jokes on the Canucks management team though, Fortnite is on its downward spiral right now, just a new game will come into place now.

Also teams won't be monitoring this very well lol.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Getting the vibes that the NHL is not a good place for introverts, especially while on the road

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm surprised so many posters are trying to gloss over this. If it wasn't a problem it wouldn't be addressed this way. Some players are having issues and it's affecting their play.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Pretty sure most of the athletes in their lower 20s play video games and just like every hobby they should play it without affecting everything else in their life perfectly fine. There are way more guys who could of been a lot better without drinking all night but what's the point if they aren't enjoying their life when they can.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->