Horvat: “Yeah, that's definitely a no-go on the road. No more Fortnite.”

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I have a crazy idea. Instead of wasting time with video games pick up a damn book.

I never really understood this. As someone who grew up with video games starting with the NES/SMS and never stopped I'm far more anti-social and hooked with good books than I am with games... though I've never been into the repetitive multi-player types that are so popular.

The only positive really is when a book ends it ends, and once finished you're a bit depressed but it's easier to disconnect because starting a new book/series doesn't have the same draw. But like if GRRM ever gets the Winds of Winter out I'll be reading it in 2-3 days and damn everything else. No video game can do that to me.

Reactions: Macbanan

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I read the Canucks weren't naming a captain, but if they would I would've said that Chris Tanev would've been the best bet.

Pettersson will be down the road, think he'll be an excellent leader. I think it's best to save it for him.

Not being allowed to play Fortnite is truly dumb during time off, I even had a conversation with one of my employees about playing it for 2 hours during work times... which is the place you shouldn't do it.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
I have no real care whether the Canucks (or anyone else) plays Fortnite or not, but I do find it slightly interesting that sitting around playing a video game where you can still talk to other people and take breaks when you want is a no-no, but spending 2ish hours in a movie theater where you are meant to be quite and stay for the whole thing is an encouraged activity...

That's because video games are the number 1 entertainment option for this generation and the last gen. Older established companies still run the show, meaning TV networks, sports teams, movie chains, etc. Gaming is always shit on as this dangerous thing that will turn people violent and its bad for you. But going to a theatre and watching another shitty transformers movie while shoving your face full of popcorn is fine.

It took almost a decade before the dinosaurs started offering streaming services when Netflix started hitting it big. And now there are issues with health concerns of streaming and how its unhealthy to just sit there for hours watching tv. Yet they act as if this wasn't happening before with movies, tv shows and things like the NFL that was on from 11am till 5pm then took an hour break and was back again at 6 for the sunday evening matchup. Its all b.s from one entertainment medium competing against the other. Its gotten to a point where some cable companies are actually throttling their internet speeds to encourage you to watch their tv channels between 5 and 6:30pm.

Reactions: Vinegar Strokes

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I have no real care whether the Canucks (or anyone else) plays Fortnite or not, but I do find it slightly interesting that sitting around playing a video game where you can still talk to other people and take breaks when you want is a no-no, but spending 2ish hours in a movie theater where you are meant to be quite and stay for the whole thing is an encouraged activity...
The problem is that it consumes his life, it would seem.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I posted the tweet. Jeff Marek replied to Jones. It wasn't him.

Problem is being a recent 1st round pick who's struggling there's only so many people who it can be, and if Marek keeps saying 'no it wan't him' then by process of elimination eventually people could find out. Our if everyone starts saying 'it's player A', like what happened with Jones and Juolevi, and this time he Marek doesn't say anything, that's another way to confirm it.

Basically since he's let the cat out of the bag it's in his best interest to lie if people figure it out.

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
The problem is that it consumes his life, it would seem.

Horvat's life? In that case I applaud the 'Nucks players for all avoiding something if it is negatively affecting a teammate. Hopefully they continue to do it if/when other things become an issue or distraction for an individual

Reactions: Cellee

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Horvat's life? In that case I applaud the 'Nucks players for all avoiding something if it is negatively affecting a teammate. Hopefully they continue to do it if/when other things become an issue or distraction for an individual
My bad, I thought you were talking about this prospect with his career in danger.

Reactions: mike14

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
all these man children playing video games and collecting Pop Vinyls aka modern day Beanie Babies :laugh:

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
You're missing the point. Manage the guys individually. If you have a player abusing curfew because they can't turn off a video game, deal with it individually. You can't tell the group, whelp dummy over here doesn't know how to manage his time appropriately on his video game so we are just going to go ahead and ban it for everyone, it's just easier that way. Stupid.
I wonder what is all involved in curfew. If you are in your room before curfew who cares. Is it lights out by a certain time.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Regular gamers are proven to be able to solve problems faster than non gamers and have better reflexes. Two things that would help at the pro level where seconds are the difference between winning and losing most nights.

What games help improve reflexes though? Not all games are created equal and reflexes are mostly genetic traits anyways with a little bit of an improvement with practice. But i am not going to suddenly be able to crush a baseball better because i played MLB the Show for 6 hours. If you are talking about puzzle games dealing with matching colors or shapes in a certain time frame then yeah i suppose back in the day rockband might help your hand eye coordination a little bit. But call of Duty or any other FPS games? doubt it.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
What games help improve reflexes though? Not all games are created equal and reflexes are mostly genetic traits anyways with a little bit of an improvement with practice. But i am not going to suddenly be able to crush a baseball better because i played MLB the Show for 6 hours. If you are talking about puzzle games dealing with matching colors or shapes in a certain time frame then yeah i suppose back in the day rockband might help your hand eye coordination a little bit. But call of Duty or any other FPS games? doubt it.

Yes Call of Duty. The games require quick decisions and rapid responses to the environments which teaches the brain.

"Corresponding with predictions, reaction times were found to be significantly quicker following action game training, suggesting that this type of video game experience can improve cognitive processes by lessening the impact of conflicts between stimulus and response locations."

Action video games improve goal-directed reaction times, study finds

Lots of studies on this out there.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Problem is being a recent 1st round pick who's struggling there's only so many people who it can be, and if Marek keeps saying 'no it wan't him' then by process of elimination eventually people could find out. Our if everyone starts saying 'it's player A', like what happened with Jones and Juolevi, and this time he Marek doesn't say anything, that's another way to confirm it.

Basically since he's let the cat out of the bag it's in his best interest to lie if people figure it out.

Except he did say something
He said Juolevi had a decent year just not what people expected, and he said on the radio it wasnt him, numerous times.

He has never denied it was jones once or rubotsov.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
And now you can find them with your cell phone.
Where's the fun in that?

I don't get this generation's fear of social interaction. There is no harm in talking face to face to a real person.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Where's the fun in that?

I don't get this generation's fear of social interaction. There is no harm in talking face to face to a real person.
Believe it or not, but talking face to face to a real person still happens.

It's just that our generation has found tools to skip the annoying "Get rejected by girls at your local bar for a few hours every weekend" and "Get hit on by horny guys every 5 minutes at your local bar for a few hours every weekend" part of the dating game. Well, for the most part.
It's not like people who are using those apps never meet up, text each other for 3 years, send lewds for a few months and then suddenly decide to get married.

... well, for the most part.

Point is, real life dating still happens in 99.9% of all cases. Don't worry about that.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Where's the fun in that?

The fun is meeting up with them and hooking up. I was just saying, these kids have more free time because the "chase" is scrolling through people and texting.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
This is nothing new. Heard stories of players being told they would be fined if caught in any arcade in the 80s. Someone on the early to mid 80s Red Wings, might have even been Adam Oates but it has been too long.

Just an easy scapegoat. If the players in turn tried to ban GMs and coaches from playing poker there would be hell on earth even though they take up the same amount of time.

Reactions: shmotz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->