Horvat: “Yeah, that's definitely a no-go on the road. No more Fortnite.”

Feb 24, 2017
That's fair. I'm of the opinion though that video games are not a big problem so long as you keep things in moderation. Team building and relationships in my opinion aren't sacrificed so long as you also put aside an appropriate amount of time in to your training and craft.
I think we are somewhat, kinda not disagreeing too much, then.

I’m ok with pretty much anything in moderation. But to me, in a team setting, I cannot see what is wrong with a group coming together to decide what is best for the collective. They may not all agree, but in the spirit of oneness they comply, or hide their defiance extremely well and never get caught. :D Team work!

Reactions: Maplebeasts

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I’m sorry. I’m probably coming down too hard on you. This topic bugs me a lot, though, as someone who played sports at a national championship level and who now works in a job where if the team work isn’t on point, people can die.

I see people here inimating that it’s wrong for teams to come together as one to decide together what is best for the collective, not the individual. And I know that I don’t know for sure who these people are on here who are saying what, but I am really confident the people ****ting all over Horvat’s comments haven’t been part of teamwork at this level.

Irrelevant side note- I clicked on your bio and saw you’re in Barrie. A team from Barrie is probably the team that I lost the worst to in my sports career haha

Oh get over yourself. You're not the only one here to play high level sports. Near guarantee there are many here who have gone further than you. A job where there needs to be teamwork or people die? What a fireman, lol?

I dont really think a video game is going to affect team dynamics. But when you're getting paid millions to play a sport it doesn't matter, you follow the rules.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
I know its a video game, but I honestly wouldn't want to hear my team is playing fortnite on the road mid season when theres important games on schedule. I don't think you can throw Mario kart in the same bin as fortnite either. It can be way more competitive and thinking intensive, which leads to soaking up more of a players time just because he's thinking about it. It's a business after all, these are multi millionaires, I don't think its that unheard of their employers want them to be focused on the game they're being paid to play.

Feb 24, 2017
Oh get over yourself. You're not the only one here to play high level sports. Near guarantee there are many here who have gone further than you. A job where there needs to be teamwork or people die? What a fireman, lol?

I dont really think a video game is going to affect team dynamics. But when you're getting paid millions to play a sport it doesn't matter, you follow the rules.
It’s not the video game I’m against. It’s the way people are acting like they know better than what a group of team mates decide what is best for the collective.

And yes, I am sure we have many people here who have gone way farther than me in sports. I said national championship level. That doesn’t mean top of the hill.

Reactions: major major

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
it's not about how much money you have or how expensive your toys are it is about personal freedom.
As a professional athlete you sign up for giving up some things. It's not a job you go to work, put in a few hours, and go home. It encompasses your whole life.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
It’s not the video game I’m against. It’s the way people are acting like they know better than what a group of team mates decide what is best for the collective.

And yes, I am sure we have many people here who have gone way farther than me in sports. I said national championship level. That doesn’t mean top of the hill.

I dont playy video games. And wouldn't care. But even if I did and really liked fortnite, if I were a pro hockey player, I wouldn't, if those were the rules.

They get paid a lot. If part of that is giving up a video game you do it. If you dont there is a long line of people behind you that will.

Feb 24, 2017
I dont playy video games. And wouldn't care. But even if I did and really liked fortnite, if I were a pro hockey player, I wouldn't, if those were the rules.

They get paid a lot. If part of that is giving up a video game you do it. If you dont there is a long line of people behind you that will.
I totally agree with what you are saying here. Did you just not like how I presented myself in my post? Haha

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I totally agree with what you are saying here. Did you just not like how I presented myself in my post? Haha
When you start saying you've played high levels and work a team job, and others just haven't, its condescending.

Feb 24, 2017
When you start saying you've played high levels and work a team job, and others just haven't, its condescending.
Fair enough. But I am really confident that those who haven’t done either, never mind both, make up the majority of the people who are critical here in this thread.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Best part about this is that's all because of Fortnite, which is one seriously ****ty video game, hope that mainstream media doesn't think "playing video games" is a synonyme for playing Fortnite.

I don't play Fortnite but how is it bad exactly? Because you don't like it, it must be bad? lol. Get out of here with that. Battle royale stuff is always fun in general. That formula has been around long before that game. But any way, while I don't see a problem with it, it's only banned when they travel. Not a big deal.

Reactions: TheNeutrality

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Fair enough. But I am really confident that those who haven’t done either, never mind both, make up the majority of the people who are critical here in this thread.
Of thinking it's unfair to take away a video game?

I have no idea. Maybe they just know better than we do. Maybe they're all pro athletes and know that at that level you need a release and that's theirs.

Probably not. I suspect they're just younger. But I'm not going to start throwing out condescending comments towards people.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I don't play Fortnite but how is it bad exactly? Because you don't like it, it must be bad? lol. Get out of here with that. Battle royale stuff is always fun in general. That formula has been around long before that game. But any way, while I don't see a problem with it, it's only banned when they travel. Not a big deal.
I think it's a case of TML syndrome.

People like the actual product or at least don't have any problems with it, but the community/fan base rubs them the wrong way with it being REALLY young, even for esports.

Feb 24, 2017
Of thinking it's unfair to take away a video game?

I have no idea. Maybe they just know better than we do. Maybe they're all pro athletes and know that at that level you need a release and that's theirs.

Probably not. I suspect they're just younger. But I'm not going to start throwing out condescending comments towards people.
Look, I’m often the worst. I know this. You know this. This whole website knows this.

But success with a team isn’t a democracy. Things are decided among the leaders, ideally with input from everyone, for the best of the collective. You either wanna be a part of a successful team and fall in line, or you don’t, and you go away.

As I mentioned in another post in this thread, secret option number 3 is keep doing whatever the eff you want, so long as you keep up your end of the bargain on the field and don’t flaunt it to anyone that you are being defiant.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The irony is that, the Canucks owner recently just purchased a esports team that are experts at Fortnite.

its one of the biggest online games on the planet right now, with leagues out there that pays players good enough money to make a living out of.

You won't think it's possible there are people out there, making a living out of playing video game, (E sports) or professional gamers.

this can be highly addictive depending on interest.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I have no clue why this aggravated me so much.

Just imagine a bunch of decades back people actually having conversations with the coach about Golden eye or starcraft or mario kart.

They would laugh you off the face of the earth, nobody would give a ****.

Sure with the internet and technology advancing, its much easier 2 get a group and play, but the amount of hours people played co-op in games like goldeneye were staggering, maybe just as much if not more than the current fads that are going on now.

It gets even worse, I just heard the audio interview with Horvat.

He basically goes off on fortnite and games in general, saying they are a waste of time, he says this over and over.

What a ****ing ignorant human, having an opinion on not liking games is fine, but being so ignorant about them is another.

Not just as a gamer, but as a person with common sense, my opinion on Horvat just dropped significantly, Horvat might as well be 60 years old with his dinosaur mentality.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...s-adds-fuel-to-the-fire-for-canucks-1.1184871

People who think games in general don't let you bond are either 60 are have the mindset of an elder.

It reminds me of people when the COD craze happened and people said that playing first person shooters like COD would make you more violent, it's such bull****.

Or video games are for kids, I remember that line 100's of times growing up.

The owner of the god damn Canucks just bought an E-sports overwatch team, this entire situation is comical.

Reactions: Stand Witness

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
I have no clue why this aggravated me so much.

Just imagine a bunch of decades back people actually having conversations with the coach about Golden eye or starcraft or mario kart.

They would laugh you off the face of the earth, nobody would give a ****.

Sure with the internet and technology advancing, its much easier 2 get a group and play, but the amount of hours people played co-op in games like goldeneye were staggering, maybe just as much if not more than the current fads that are going on now.

It gets even worse, I just heard the audio interview with Horvat.

He basically goes off on fortnite and games in general, saying they are a waste of time, he says this over and over.

What a ****ing ignorant human, having an opinion on not liking games is fine, but being so ignorant about them is another.

Not just as a gamer, but as a person with common sense, my opinion on Horvat just dropped significantly, Horvat might as well be 60 years old with his dinosaur mentality.

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-...s-adds-fuel-to-the-fire-for-canucks-1.1184871

People who think games in general don't let you bond are either 60 are have the mindset of an elder.

It reminds me of people when the COD craze happened and people said that playing first person shooters like COD would make you more violent, it's such bull****.

Or video games are for kids, I remember that line 100's of times growing up.

The owner of the god damn Canucks just bought an E-sports overwatch team, this entire situation is comical.
In my opinion they ARE a waste of time. A fun waste of time. But a waste of time no less.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Dunno, carrying the knowledge of our entire species in our pockets is a pretty massive game changer.

Don't blame a tool for shortcomings of its users.

in the old days, you would have had to walk your butt to a public library to access all that knowledge. you would have been just as well-informed but you would have gotten some exercise too.

49f7469e2062e9febf8693e04b318e9d

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
They should ban Netflix, cellphones, reading books next: all can be antisocial and keep players up until 4am.
Books don't really fit it in here.

The video game crowd is so defensive.

"At least it's not cocaine!"
As if hard drugs are somehow encouraged in the nhl.
*cocaine crowd* "At least it's not heroin!". You're literally sitting there pressing buttons to release dopamine, it's the same thing in more ways than people want to hear.

Last edited:

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
The irony is that, the Canucks owner recently just purchased a esports team that are experts at Fortnite.

its one of the biggest online games on the planet right now, with leagues out there that pays players good enough money to make a living out of.

You won't think it's possible there are people out there, making a living out of playing video game, (E sports) or professional gamers.

this can be highly addictive depending on interest.

... you are posting this on a forum dedicated to the professional activity of shooting rubber disks at netted metal cases by slapping them with a stick. On ice. And earning millions while doing it.

People playing games a large audience plays as well, no matter if virtual or not, at a ridiculously high level will always attract interest, viewers and with that potential for monetization.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
In my opinion they ARE a waste of time. A fun waste of time. But a waste of time no less.
It completely matters what you play, Some of the most enjoyable moments I had growing up was being in a raid with a bunch of close friends taking hrs/days too kill a boss, the relief and jubilation was fun as hell, and created some great long time memories.

Reactions: clunk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad