Horvat: “Yeah, that's definitely a no-go on the road. No more Fortnite.”

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
I hardly game, but it strikes me as absurd to ban video games on the road. Also, good luck enforcing this in any meaningful way. Young and wealthy hockey players will do what they want on their own time (and a pretty good chunk get up to a lot which isn't legal).

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Horvat just became my fave player for this. As a teenager who knows way too many people with video game addictions this is the RIGHT choice. I hate video games, thell rot your brain.

Horvat for PM :yo:

Esko6

Sep 14, 2004
Finland
Has there ever been a game that has been this addictive to both kids and adults? There have been popular games before, but with Fortnite pre-schoolers and professional athletes get addicted. I am glad I have no free time to test it.

sexydonut

May 12, 2009
FC Barcelona players are apparently huge fans of Mario Kart. Makes sense, as they can engage in handheld multilayer on the plane.

As long as the video games are played during garbage time, I can't see anything wrong with it.

Reactions: shello

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
do not enjoy ur life

Yeah in the scope of things, it's a minor sacrifice in reality. If they think it's something that needs curbing then they should do it. I game myself and think it's a good call.

If they're missing their Playstation while sitting in a Ferrari then they have problems to begin with

CanuckGame39

Oct 13, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
I think its bullcrap that an employer can tell you what you can and can not do during your own time while on the road.

I guess it's different because these guys are paid millions of dollars, but still. There are A LOT of worse things one can do on the road than play video games.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I like to play video games.

I also support the idea of hockey players stopping each other from playing video games. The dopamine rush you get from it is going to lower the volume on real life. If you're committed to being the best you can possibly be then it's a reasonable thing to get rid of.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Yeah in the scope of things, it's a minor sacrifice in reality. If they think it's something that needs curbing then they should do it. I game myself and think it's a good call.

If they're missing their Playstation while sitting in a Ferrari then they have problems to begin with
I mean, no matter who you are or what you own you will always get used to it and strive for new things. Can't really claim every rich person on earth is having mental problems because they don't want to sit in their ferrari and feel divine all day. A ferrari for a super rich person will in the end feel just like a ford does for us no matter how much we want the rich people to not be normal

Reactions: Sol and major major

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think young people know that this is just the older generation not getting it.

Pretty sure myself and many others sit here and wonder how we can all carry on careers/school but apparently these professional athletes are the only ones that can't. It's a joke.

There's a decent proportion of guys in my college classes who spent more time playing video games than studying. I don't think that's a career-threatening problem for all of them, though some did flunk out as a result. You don't really need to be your best possible self to have a good fulfilling life.

But if you're trying to be the best in the world at something, is it crazy to think you would not take the risk?

I wish my team would get rid of Fortnite.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe

it's not about how much money you have or how expensive your toys are it is about personal freedom.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
why do celebs even play this dumb game for nerds and children

just play madden or whatever fps game like normal people

Reactions: Belieber

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
it's not about how much money you have or how expensive your toys are it is about personal freedom.

My point is, in the scope of things it's a very minor sacrifice. Especially if it's effecting your performance.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
I'd rather be poor and struggle and do what I want. I know not everyone agrees with that, but a lot of people do.

riznat

Sponsor
Nov 19, 2005
Lake Tahoe
My point is, in the scope of things it's a very minor sacrifice. Especially if it's effecting your performance.
and to add to that. are you the very best at your job? in your personal life, etc? if you say yes, you're lying. if you say no then I can call you out on taking personal liberties instead of focusing on being your best. Athletes are people just like us.

Feb 24, 2017
You can really tell who in this thread has actually been part of high level sports or team oriented professions, and which are from the generation of entitlement.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
It was actually Pettersson who said he loves Fortnite, and no, the prospect that was reportedly addicted to games was a prospect in the CHL last year.

So what does this mean it's a team rule is pretty much just for Pettersson? Because if Horvat's firmly against it and Boeser doesn't really seem like the type either there aren't really a lot of 'kids' on the team. We're a team full of the Beagles and the Sutters and the Gudbransons.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
You can really tell who in this thread has actually been part of high level sports or team oriented professions, and which are from the generation of entitlement.
Entitlement has nothing to do with it. Video game addiction is only a problem when you let it become one. So long as players are able to control themselves and be professional, who the f*** cares?

Reactions: Peanut and shello

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden

It can be social or anti-social behavior depending on how you look at it. I have a couple of friends who barely ever leaves their apartment to socialize, but of course they are socializing with people living thousands of miles away.

But when you are playing on a NHL team, trying to win the cup, I'd say it's pretty antisocial to stay at your hotel room playing video games instead of hanging with the guys. Or it can mess with their pre-game routine making their on ice-performance worse both in practices and games and in the gym. Why would any fan want that? I'd be happy reading this tweet if I was a Canucks fan.

Speaking of my friends again, they defenitely suffer from their video gaming. And if anyone dares to confront them about it, they get defensive and in a bad mood. That's actually one of the symptoms you can expect from a game addict. It's like with any other addiction, the first step is to admit you have a problem.

Btw I have been through it myself in my teens and early 20's. I would say the same things my friends are saying: "How is it an addiction if I'm having fun playing!?". It classifies as an addiction when it impacts your social life, school/work, relationships etc in a negative way. If the thought of not playing video games for a month worries you, you can pretty much be certain you have an addiction.

Not saying the Canucks players have a problem, but games are defenitely addictive. And just playing that extra hour can defenitely mess with a players pre-game or pre-workout routine. And really, any time that you are spending alone is anti-social time. But of course not all this time is harmful.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
and to add to that. are you the very best at your job? in your personal life, etc? if you say yes, you're lying. if you say no then I can call you out on taking personal liberties instead of focusing on being your best. Athletes are people just like us.

Well I have worked for someone in my teens but now I have a good gig solo. You lose a good amount of personal freedom working for a corporation..dress codes, conduct, phone usage.

I'm not saying they aren't people.. Sacrifices are a part of life. Concede where you can, and stand your ground when you can.

Sacrificing video games when out of town isnt a big sacrifice. And if it improves their performance by sacrificing something as simple as video games on the road, sure seems like a small price to pay. One I'd pay easily.

So many people in this world want their cake and eat it too.

The world doesn't run that way.

Feb 24, 2017
Explain how this an example of entitlement. I'm not seeing it.
I’m sorry. I’m probably coming down too hard on you. This topic bugs me a lot, though, as someone who played sports at a national championship level and who now works in a job where if the team work isn’t on point, people can die.

I see people here inimating that it’s wrong for teams to come together as one to decide together what is best for the collective, not the individual. And I know that I don’t know for sure who these people are on here who are saying what, but I am really confident the people shitting all over Horvat’s comments haven’t been part of teamwork at this level.

Irrelevant side note- I clicked on your bio and saw you’re in Barrie. A team from Barrie is probably the team that I lost the worst to in my sports career haha

Reactions: Sol

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
I’m sorry. I’m probably coming down too hard on you. This topic bugs me a lot, though, as someone who played sports at a national championship level and who now works in a job where if the team work isn’t on point, people can die.

I see people here inimating that it’s wrong for teams to come together as one to decide together what is best for the collective, not the individual. And I know that I don’t know for sure who these people are on here who are saying what, but I am really confident the people ****ting all over Horvat’s comments haven’t been part of teamwork at this level.
That's fair. I'm of the opinion though that video games are not a big problem so long as you keep things in moderation. Team building and relationships in my opinion aren't sacrificed so long as you also put aside an appropriate amount of time in to your training and craft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad