Value of: Hornqvist for a cheaper bottom-6 player

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Hornqvist's body may be breaking down on him, but I'd take another Hornqvist before trading the one we have. The Pens already have one of the softest rosters in the league with him.
^^ This.

Think late career Tomas Holmstrom (who was always slow to begin with & the game was also slower back then, more hooking/holding/interference etc.). Holmstrom was also below avg. defensively, but he actually got better at D (not PK2 good) but better than the 1st 60-70% of his career, which he was flat out awful on D. I guess hanging out on Datsyuk & Zetterbergs wings taught him a few tricks.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think if Hornqvist was a UFA he would probably get about 3 years, 4 million. So he is about 1 million overpaid. He is not a negative value asset, but he would certainly be worth in trade equity if he had a sweetheart deal. Like, Hornqvist @ 50% (2.65) is probably worth a high 2nd round pick or close-to-NHL prospect. Hornqvist @ the full cap hit is probably worth, like Emp said, a cheaper but slightly less dynamic NHL player.

No way in hell in a flat cap would he get anywhere over $10M.

He’d get a 1 yr $2,5M contract from some team.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Not that much cheaper but one less year of term...Niederreiter?

Can I interest you in a resurgent Jake Gardiner? Same term, $1.3m in savings per to go towards a replacement, and we can talk about sweeteners to even things out.

I've discussed these swaps here before. I wouldn't hate the premise of either.

Wood for Hornqvist?

I would do this.

Athanasiou and something for Hornqvist and McCann?

AA for Horny would be better. That plus to get McCann gets tough when looking at the Edmonton roster.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I've discussed these swaps here before. I wouldn't hate the premise of either.

I would do this.

AA for Horny would be better. That plus to get McCann gets tough when looking at the Edmonton roster.
Really?? AA is awful. Swapping horny for him moves us backwards

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
Athanasiou and something for Hornqvist and McCann?

I doubt the Oilers would be interested in trading for a 33 year old with 3 years left at 5.3M

It’s not going to be easy or cheap for teams to move money out this summer. I’m positive there will be better ways to spend 5.3M this off season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Let's say hypothetically that they moved Hornqvist ($1m retained) for Compher (just as an example, not a proposal)...
  • To Col: Hornqvist ($4.3m x 3 years)
  • To Pit: Compher ($3.5m x 3 years) + $1m retention on Hornqvist.
Pittsburgh would get a comparable ~0.5ppg forward who is younger and faster, at essentially a $4.5m caphit, saving $800k in the process.

Colorado would get an injury-prone but slightly more productive forward (~50 point pace last 4 years) who plays a playoff-style game, at a $4.3m caphit; which is a small upgrade in production and experience for $800k more.

Now, I'm certainly NOT saying that I think Colorado should be trading for a soon-to-be 34 year old Hornqvist. This is just an example of the sort of trade with retention that Pittsburgh could look to make to get a useful player back while also getting out of Hornqvist's contract (well, most of it anyways).

Don't really see the point of moving Hornqvist if we are retaining. The whole point is to get out of his cap given he simply doesn't have a spot with our RW depth being Kapanen, Rust, and Tanev all making 3 mil+.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad