Value of: Hornqvist for a cheaper bottom-6 player

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
JR has said multiple times that he wants to make the team younger and faster, and he said yesterday that he wants to clear more cap space to be active in free agency. Hornqvist makes the most sense to move to me, but I don't think they can move his contract without taking back some money. I could see a scenario where the Penguins take a worse player (probably a decent bottom-6er) back that makes between $2.5 and $3.5 million, and they use their saved cap space to be active in free agency.

What kind of bottom-6 forward do you think the Penguins can get for Hornqvist?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think for an overpaid middle six forward you could get a slightly less overpaid bottom six forward

How much do you think Hornqvist would be going for in free agency? Even if it's less, I can't see it being much below $5 million. Maybe $4.75 million?

Even if he is overpaid, which I don't really think he is, it's not by much. You're probably not getting a Hornqvist caliber guy in free agency for less than $5 million.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Can’t imagine many teams being interested unless another somewhat undesirable contract is headed back. Could be done though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Can’t imagine many teams being interested unless another somewhat undesirable contract is headed back. Could be done though.

Depends on what you mean by "undesirable". Does that fall in a category more with say Jay Beagle (very overpaid and coming off a bad year) or Matt Calvert (somewhat pricey but still a solid player)?

I think the Penguins could do something like Hornqvist for a Roussel type of player (decent bottom-6 winger who makes a good amount of money), and I wouldn't call Roussel's contract "undesirable".

Hornqvist for Kassian?

Yeah, something like this is what I was thinking of. Not sure Kassian would be a great fit though, but he does fit the idea.

Hornqvist for Kassian does make some sense if Edmonton can make that extra $2.1 million work. The Penguins have Hornqvist in a bottom-6 role and the Oilers have Kassian in a top-6 role, while both players are more suited for the other role.

Last edited:

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Depends on what you mean by "undesirable". Does that fall in a category more with say Jay Beagle (very overpaid and coming off a bad year) or Matt Calvert (somewhat pricey but still a solid player)?

I think the Penguins could do something like Hornqvist for a Roussel type of player (decent bottom-6 winger who makes a good amount of money), and I wouldn't call Roussel's contract "undesirable".

A contract that’s just undesirable. Not Louis eriksson bad. But your looking at losing the trade player wise while taking back a good sized cap hit.
So think about a beagle, rousel types. Decent players but guys you don’t want for $3 million

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I love to hate Hornqvist, he’s a total pain in the ass. Checks, always in front of the net, gets under the opposition’s skin...not sure they’d do it, but what about a swap for Connolly at 3.5? Same term, honestly better output this last season than Horny, but the Panthers need guy who’ll go to the dirty areas and who will stir things up.

any interest in Matheson? Some way to work around that contract. Matheson and Connolly for Horny and?? (I’m sure I know the answer, just throwing out there)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A contract that’s just undesirable. Not Louis eriksson bad. But your looking at losing the trade player wise while taking back a good sized cap hit.
So think about a beagle, rousel types. Decent players but guys you don’t want for $3 million

Okay we're on the same page then, I just don't think Beagle falls in that category.

I think the Hornqvist trade would be something like Hornqvist for Kassian or Hornqvist for Roussel, it's getting a more appropriately paid 3rd liner on a similar quality of contract to Hornqvist (in terms of overpaid/underpaid and term). I don't really consider those contracts that "undesirable".

I love to hate Hornqvist, he’s a total pain in the ass. Checks, always in front of the net, gets under the opposition’s skin...not sure they’d do it, but what about a swap for Connolly at 3.5? Same term, honestly better output this last season than Horny, but the Panthers need guy who’ll go to the dirty areas and who will stir things up.

any interest in Matheson? Some way to work around that contract. Matheson and Connolly for Horny and?? (I’m sure I know the answer, just throwing out there)

I think Connolly for Hornqvist would work but Matheson wouldn't.

Reactions: Laus723

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
How much do you think Hornqvist would be going for in free agency? Even if it's less, I can't see it being much below $5 million. Maybe $4.75 million?

Even if he is overpaid, which I don't really think he is, it's not by much. You're probably not getting a Hornqvist caliber guy in free agency for less than $5 million.
pluss the fact that he could be flipped at the deadline for a much higher return:naughty:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Can I interest you in a resurgent Jake Gardiner? Same term, $1.3m in savings per to go towards a replacement, and we can talk about sweeteners to even things out.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hornqvist for Abdelkader. Same term but Pittsburgh saves 1M in cap.

That is heinously bad. How do you think that's fair? Albelkader has one of the worst contracts in hockey and is completely done as an effective NHLer. Hornqvist is still an effective middle-6 player.

Wood for Hornqvist?

This one seems like something JR would do IMO. I feel like New Jersey probably wouldn't, though.

Feel like maybe I'd rather keep wood? And I don't even like miles wood. I just feel like this is a nominal upgrade in production for a lot more money and more term

It's more than a nominal upgrade from Wood to Hornqvist IMO, the problem is Hornqvist is much older and it's not like New Jersey is a win-now team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad