Value of: Hornqvist for a cheaper bottom-6 player

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes you're correct, idk why it autocorrected to Rask, but i swear i wrote Ryan lol yes Derek Ryan. My apologies for the mistake

Ryan for Hornqvist is actually a really good suggestion from the Penguins POV. JR has said that he wants to acquire a 3C who's strong defensively, and Ryan has been leaned on pretty heavily as a defensive center in Calgary and has seemingly done well with it.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hörnqvist plus plus for Tyson Jost

Why would Pittsburgh be the ones adding here.... Jost is debatable to even be an NHL player at this point.

Anyway, Horny contract is going to be very hard to move in the current scope of things. On a 1 year term, you probably get some interest. But a 33 year old set to make North of 5M for 3 more years when already showing a couple signs of decline, that contract is only going to get worse while already looking less then ideal.

Springfield Isotopes

Dec 9, 2018
Why would Pittsburgh be the ones adding here.... Jost is debatable to even be an NHL player at this point.

Anyway, Horny contract is going to be very hard to move in the current scope of things. On a 1 year term, you probably get some interest. But a 33 year old set to make North of 5M for 3 more years when already showing a couple signs of decline, that contract is only going to get worse while already looking less then ideal.
Hes older they need cap space.
Covid 19 they really need the space.. Hes 34 years old, @nd have multipe years left on his deal.. Rutherford would do that!

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

I would say his decline is more tied to usage. He was mainly 3rd line and power play this year while still putting up 32 points and 17 goals in 52 games. If given back top two line minutes I see no reason he isn't 25 - 25 player for those 3 years.

I dont want to trade him but Crosby seems to refuse playing with him and he is now behind rust and kappy

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Hes older they need cap space.
Covid 19 they really need the space.. Hes 34 years old, @nd have multipe years left on his deal.. Rutherford would do that!

I get trading him... But Jost is barely an NHL play. They aren't going to add to Hornqvist considerably just to dump him for a guy who probably doesn't even crack the Pens roster.

Straight up maybe. But they wont add to Hornqvist to get a much, much worse player.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Hörnqvist plus plus for Tyson Jost
No thanks. We can get a better and younger player with $5.3m of capspace.

You answered your own question.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
My first question, which teams would he wanted to be traded to? I Guess all bottom teams can be scratched. And of the teams left, who can afford him?

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
People also need to realize that Hornqvist isn't a cap dump. He put up 30 points in the abbreviated season while providing a unique skillset to the team. He is a pain in the ass to play against and a "playoff warrior". I think NHL GMs would take his contract on without much hesitation in non-covid times.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Byron was the first name that came to mind. One of the fastest players in the league and while not as good as PH, is cheaper.

FameFlame069

Oct 2, 2017
Ryan for Hornqvist is actually a really good suggestion from the Penguins POV. JR has said that he wants to acquire a 3C who's strong defensively, and Ryan has been leaned on pretty heavily as a defensive center in Calgary and has seemingly done well with it.

Yeah, I’d be down.

I'd do it. Clears over 2M and we let him go to UFA and clear off over 5M to give Marino his raise.

Seems fair on both sides IMO, maybe some Flames fans can chime in on our side, but i think Horny would do wonders with Chucky :)

Reactions: Pens and Flames

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
to FLA: Hornqvist and Blueger
to PIT: two of Connolly, Wallmark and Sceviour

Connolly is a streaky sniping winger who could provide a right-hand shot for your power play. (3.5m x 3y)
Sceviour is a bottom 6er who can skate, carry the puck, PK, and will put up minimum 20 points. (1.2m x 1y)
Wallmark is a meh bottom 6 center. (RFA)

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
I’d be down for Kassian for Hornqvist I think. He’s the type of guy that would excel with Mcdavid and the blue collar type of player this fan base is obsessed with.

What about Kassian for Hornqvist at 4.8m.
Pens hold back 500k and I’d take the risk with the older player only having to add 1.6m on the cap.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
JR has said multiple times that he wants to make the team younger and faster, and he said yesterday that he wants to clear more cap space to be active in free agency. Hornqvist makes the most sense to move to me, but I don't think they can move his contract without taking back some money. I could see a scenario where the Penguins take a worse player (probably a decent bottom-6er) back that makes between $2.5 and $3.5 million, and they use their saved cap space to be active in free agency.

What kind of bottom-6 forward do you think the Penguins can get for Hornqvist?
Easily gets a 3rd pairing D which they need. He has a no movement clause but rumor is he is willing to waive. Class act all the way

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Hornqvist for Abdelkader. Same term but Pittsburgh saves 1M in cap.

Hornqvist is at least still useful.

The point of the OP (which I don't necessarily agree with) is to move him for someone useful in the bottom six who is cheaper, not to move him for someone with a similar salary that sucks.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
JR has said multiple times that he wants to make the team younger and faster, and he said yesterday that he wants to clear more cap space to be active in free agency. Hornqvist makes the most sense to move to me, but I don't think they can move his contract without taking back some money. I could see a scenario where the Penguins take a worse player (probably a decent bottom-6er) back that makes between $2.5 and $3.5 million, and they use their saved cap space to be active in free agency.

What kind of bottom-6 forward do you think the Penguins can get for Hornqvist?

Dude, gives this a rest. Horny's contract moving forward might be the worst to move on the Pens roster. Three years at 5.3 million for a guy that is injured quite a bit. I'm a fan of his, but no team is going to do this. You are going to get back an equally bad contract, not one that is a friendly 2.5-3.5 type of deal. Get younger and get cap ... how about trading Malkin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Dude, gives this a rest. Horny's contract moving forward might be the worst to move on the Pens roster. Three years at 5.3 million for a guy that is injured quite a bit. I'm a fan of his, but no team is going to do this. You are going to get back an equally bad contract, not one that is a friendly 2.5-3.5 type of deal. Get younger and get cap ... how about trading Malkin.

Hornqvist is a unique skillset. Has scored 15+ goals regularly and adds an element a lot of “skilled” teams would love to.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
to FLA: Hornqvist and Blueger
to PIT: two of Connolly, Wallmark and Sceviour

Connolly is a streaky sniping winger who could provide a right-hand shot for your power play. (3.5m x 3y)
Sceviour is a bottom 6er who can skate, carry the puck, PK, and will put up minimum 20 points. (1.2m x 1y)
Wallmark is a meh bottom 6 center. (RFA)

I mean, I'd do Hornqvist and Blueger for Connolly and Wallmark, but I don't really see a purpose of the Blueger for Wallmark swap.

Reactions: kerrabria

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Hornqvist is still good for 15 to 20 goals per year. He's not reached Wayne Simmonds/David Clarkson levels of play to warrant this kind of drop in value.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hornqvist is still good for 15 to 20 goals per year. He's not reached Wayne Simmonds/David Clarkson levels of play to warrant this kind of drop in value.

Do you know what's funny about mentioning Simmonds? Simmonds fell off in 2018-2019, but despite that, he still got a $5 million deal last off-season. Players like him are so rare that teams will still pay out the ass for them, even if they have red flags.

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Hornqvist for Connolly seems to be a good base, does anyone add? Pitt I suppose as Connolly is younger and contract is lower

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Do you know what's funny about mentioning Simmonds? Simmonds fell off in 2018-2019, but despite that, he still got a $5 million deal last off-season. Players like him are so rare that teams will still pay out the ass for them, even if they have red flags.

That's the thing. That kind of skillset will always be "overpaid" because there's always a team out there who thinks the one thing they're missing is that guy who dominates as a net front screen and will pay a hefty price for him, even if he's not quite what he once was.

If Hornqvist was somehow a UFA this off-season, I could easily see someone pay $5 million for him if it's a team that feels they failed this season because they didn't have enough guys who crash the crease and get dirty goals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad