Hope for the A-Devils?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Albany has drawn nothing but about 1/4 capacity. Even though Utica draws 90% capacity their capacity sucks (3,815). Could Utica draw more than that? Who knows. You can't compare the two locations really well because it could be Utica would draw the same amount if they had a 14k seat arena or they may draw more.

That average number for Utica would likely be higher if they had more seats to sell on the nights they sell out...

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
No one said Albany was crappy. All I stated is that I can't see any team wanting to go there with the numbers. There is a huge difference between playing in a 14,000 seat building that is less than half full and a small venue that is 3/4 or more full. In Utica, its all about the comets, a ton of media attention. in Albany 90% of the people don't even know about the team and little media attention. The Utica fans will be tested this winter as this team will be lucky if it makes the playoffs.....for me, I will still be at almost every game. They put on a great game day experience in Utica.

It's not Albany's fault that their building is way too big, nor is it Utica's fault theirs is way too small. Comets local ownership having significant intere$t$ in the teams success has made all the difference. That's becoming rarer and rarer across the AHL and we may see a day where it no longer exists. Albany hasn't had any success in 15 years. Look at the numbers when the Devils were in Utica. I'm just curious to see what happens if/when the team struggles on ice.

cometshockey

Oct 26, 2014
It's not Albany's fault that their building is way too big, nor is it Utica's fault theirs is way too small. Comets local ownership having significant intere$t$ in the teams success has made all the difference. That's becoming rarer and rarer across the AHL and we may see a day where it no longer exists. Albany hasn't had any success in 15 years. Look at the numbers when the Devils were in Utica. I'm just curious to see what happens if/when the team struggles on ice.

i had seasons when the devils were here. its a totally different product. no comparison. completely different era. there are computers, cell phones, face book, twitter now. so many ways to keep informed about what is going on. back in the devils era, you either went to the game, listened on the radio or read it in the newspaper. and the biggest issue in the devils days was the parking and the projects that were directly behind the aud. now there is plenty of parking, the projects are gone, and a much better venue in the aud. and a ton of fan interaction with the team and fans. and the team did struggle its first season here, and actually did not draw many fans untill the holidays. but once someone comes to a game, they want to come back. its the game atmosphere and presentation that wins fans over...... even in manchester for the finals there was little atmosphere in such a large building.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

It is one of those elephant in the room situations that people don't talk about but there is a big difference in the area around the Aud between the Utica Devils days and now with the Comets. Back when the Devils were in Utica there were two low income government housing complexes known as the projects directly behind the Aud. While city leaders would never talk about it there were plenty of people that would not attend events at the Aud out of fear of crime and vandalism. It never deterred me from going and I never had an issue but there is no question in my mind that it hurt the Devils attendance.

Since the Devils left both projects have been torn down and replaced with a parking lot and a grass field waiting to be developed. What used to be an area where people avoided Comets fans tailgate for hours before games and there is a sports bar that streams AHL Live Comets games.

Now I have only been to the TUC in Albany a couple times so you would know more than me but my first impression of the area around the arena is that it is not a place I want to walk around at night. Do you think that has a negative impact on attendance?

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Wow more Albany news, Lou's son Christopher who was Albany's general manager has resigned. News says it was mutual but for him I am sure the writing was on the wall. Hope his Father doesnt put him in charge of the Marlies up in Toronto lol. The Devils friends and family plan hopefully has come to an end for Albany.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
if the Devils/Nucks do decide to pull the plug for whatever reason, likely to grab Bridgeport/Abbotsford. What's the chances of another tenant moving in? Would another team plop an AHL team or is the ECHL a more likely scenario?

offkilter

Jan 18, 2014
if the Devils/Nucks do decide to pull the plug for whatever reason, likely to grab Bridgeport/Abbotsford. What's the chances of another tenant moving in? Would another team plop an AHL team or is the ECHL a more likely scenario?

I'm going to assume you mentioned Bridgeport because of the oft repeated rumor of Sound Tigers to Nassau now that the Islanders are in Brooklyn.

At this point there really aren't that many teams up for grabs. Its not like the old days of musical chairs. The only AHL team that might move to Albany or Utica if those markets are open is the Rangers affiliate that is currently in Hartford.

I'd say personally the best hope for these markets is going ECHL. Its become abundantly clear that parent clubs are willing to buy and move their AHL affiliations closer to them and the ones that aren't are locally owned and deeply entrenched(Hershey) to move. Sure hockey snobs will complain, but beggars can't be choosers when the ECHL might become the only game in town.

Cacciaguida

Jan 11, 2010
Ottawa
So if Hartford moves, will they grab an ECHL team? Strange, I alway saw them as untouchable.

Though it might be a good thing, someone could bring back the Whale(rs) and their old colours and fan support will surely go back up again.

Bridgeport/Utica/Albany the Rangers could grab any. I wouldn't be surprized if they move an ECHL team into Utica/Albany if a spot opens up. Just to cement their system. it seems to be the fashionable thing to do right now. :sarcasm:

Peter6625

The Devils would be smart to put the team in Manchester. Just looking at the numbers alone Manchester had averaged 2,300 more than Albany. This should be a very interesting year in the AHL. I hope to God the western relocation fails miserably.

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
The Devils would be smart to put the team in Manchester. Just looking at the numbers alone Manchester had averaged 2,300 more than Albany. This should be a very interesting year in the AHL. I hope to God the western relocation fails miserably.

As a Western hockey fan, all I can say is "Thanks. **** you, too."

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
For the last few years at least, the announced crowd in Manchester appeared much smaller than what the crowd appeared on the computer broadcasts. .

For you number crunchers, I'd imagine that Chris Lamerillo has to be the losingest GM, possibly in the history of sports. I believe he began as GM of the Devils AHL club around 2001, and held on through the 2014-15 season. Has anyone put together worse teams for so long in any sport? It has to be a record.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
For the last few years at least, the announced crowd in Manchester appeared much smaller than what the crowd appeared on the computer broadcasts. .

For you number crunchers, I'd imagine that Chris Lamerillo has to be the losingest GM, possibly in the history of sports. I believe he began as GM of the Devils AHL club around 2001, and held on through the 2014-15 season. Has anyone put together worse teams for so long in any sport? It has to be a record.

Elgin Baylor for the Clippers.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013

I talked to one of the ushers in Manchester during the finals. He said attendance had been dropping for the past few years. I don't think nj recalling players from Manchester sounds very economical or speedy.....

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
I talked to one of the ushers in Manchester during the finals. He said attendance had been dropping for the past few years. I don't think nj recalling players from Manchester sounds very economical or speedy.....

Would you like to do a few moments of research on this? Perhaps maybe a Google search for flights between Manchester, NH and Newark, NJ?

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

The reason why Albany's numbers have not been great is because the Devils farm teams rarely make the playoffs. While hopefully that trend is coming to an end with new owners and leadership the Devils have only put a playoff team in Albany just twice in last 15 years lol. Manchester fans were ready to revolt a few years back when their team failed to make the playoffs couple of years. I think this is Albany's opportunity to rebound, hope the fanbase there seizes the opportunity. I am sure though Albany would give up the Devils for Manchester if the Rangers want to come home to NYS and call Albany home, that would be a solid fit.

How can the western relocation fail miserably? The NHL is very well attended out west, California specifically. Then even at the ECHL level, California has paid their dues and supported the ECHL in better numbers then what Manchester has supported a very good AHL operation. If Manchester cannot give the LA Kings organization and the ECHL their very best support then what makes them so deserving of another AHL opportunity? NH fans need to put on their big boy and girl pants and be what they claim to be. Put your money where your mouth is and support the franchise and city as hockey fans. Manchester needs to be tested, this is just that...

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Chris Lamoriello and the Devils Kremlin style of business is very bad for the minor league team. The minor league team while existing to serve a purpose needs to carve out a local hometown identity to be successful, sell seats, sell merchandise, and not be a total drain. The Lamoriello's wouldn't have cared if the team was in Albany, Utica, Manchester, or wherever. They seemed to have zero respect how the Albany area perceived the organization, they didn't care. Lowell was a disaster to, very few cared about the Devils and their over night departure back to Albany. Arena management and Politcians in Albany didn't care, they did what they needed to do just to get an AHL team back in the area. That was nothing more then friends and family plan of employment, wasn't for their love of Smallbany NY.

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Ciceri and Times Union Center general manager Bob Belber continue to work to increase interest in the team and bring more people to the downtown venue. So far this offseason, they have led the AHL in percentage of season ticket renewals and sales, including nearly 500 sold to new buyers so far. Current season-ticket sales are up 32 percent from last season.

Belber said he is encouraged by the sales and hopes for a new commitment from the Devils to keep the AHL squad in Albany sometime by February, which is when he has to provide the AHL with a number of open dates for the 2016-17 season so the league can begin working on the schedule. He said he’s hoping to convince the Devils it is in their best interest to sign a new agreement for something in the range of three to five years.

http://www.dailygazette.com/news/2015/sep/11/adevils_911/?dgzrg

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Chris Lamoriello and the Devils Kremlin style of business is very bad for the minor league team. The minor league team while existing to serve a purpose needs to carve out a local hometown identity to be successful, sell seats, sell merchandise, and not be a total drain. The Lamoriello's wouldn't have cared if the team was in Albany, Utica, Manchester, or wherever. They seemed to have zero respect how the Albany area perceived the organization, they didn't care. Lowell was a disaster to, very few cared about the Devils and their over night departure back to Albany. Arena management and Politcians in Albany didn't care, they did what they needed to do just to get an AHL team back in the area. That was nothing more then friends and family plan of employment, wasn't for their love of Smallbany NY.

That has not been the case for many years. The AHL is now all about development and the heck with the fans, team identity, etc.

Good for Albany.

Peter6625

I know all about the Albany Devils struggles, I was one of the few Lowell Devils fans. Cicieri is still fudging the season ticket renewals. He did that all the time in Lowell.

It's not as easy as oh just support the ECHL, we have the best college hockey in the country in New England. It's going to have to compete with Hockey East.

As for AHL, it's true it's all about development. Gone are the days the midsize cities got to enjoy top level hockey in their own backyard.

Last edited:

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I know all about the Albany Devils struggles, I was one of the few Lowell Devils fans. Cicieri is still fudging the season ticket renewals. He did that all the time in Lowell.

It's not as easy as oh just support the ECHL, we have the best college hockey in the country in New England. It's going to have to compete with Hockey East.

As for AHL, it's true it's all about development. Gone are the days the midsize cities got to enjoy top level hockey in their own backyard.

Fans in Manchester though will get to see many Hockey East and other well known college hockey alumni playing in the ECHL. Many DI players cannot jump right into the NHL, often times they are also caught up in the numbers game and the parent club has to send them to the ECHL first before AHL roster spots occupied by higher draft picks open up at the AHL level. Union College in Schenectady just had like three to five of their graduating players from their 2014 Championship team sign ECHL contracts this past summer. They know that if they produce at the ECHL level they will get noticed. Thats what is so great about the expanding role of developmental hockey, its opening up the channels so to speak. A great player will not go un noticed and the NHL rocognizes that the new philosiphy that there are many players whose maturation takes longer. I say its great, pay your dues and come up the hard way. Fans in Manchester will get to see more players having local ties from regional college hockey programs, and those players who have had great college careers but may have been overlooked will get an opportunity to play pro puck, I say its a win win situation.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
Albany's home opener today.

Not bad for early season especially considering capacity is 6500 with the upper levels curtained off and not used but way too early in the season. Portland is drawing very crappy so far for whatever reason, and nobody barely showed in Adirondack for their ECHL debut. I read that over 4000 were at the RPI VS Michigan game only ten minutes outside of Albany then another 2200 fans attended the New Hampshire VS Union University game in Schenectady New York which looks like half hour away from Albany and RPI. That's a lot of hockey for an area which is probably among the smaller AHL markets in today's new AHL reality. That is a hockey saturated market per capita it seems, hope Albany does well this season because they have been a Devils affiliate for like over twenty freaking years now lol. I think Albany would be a supper fit though for the NY Rangers, seems like that would make way too much sense, that part of NY is loaded with transplants from NYC.

http://wnyt.com/article/stories/S3944834.shtml?cat=256

Last edited:

js957

Jun 24, 2015
I think the Devils will end up in Utica to after next season. Albany is putting in a good plan to get the Rangers AHL team after this season. With the new leadership for the NHL Devils and the arena management, city of Albany Mayor, and local development people in Albany are pushing the importance of AHL hockey to the business community and they are responding. For the first time in years the city government itself is calloborating with county government to increase season tickets for the up comming season and it looks as though they are going to lobby the state politicians with making Albany the AHL home for the Rangers. Good move oin Albany's part. Should be interesting to see how the Devils philosiphy is regarding their AHL success, and what the results for Albany are.
i would be shocked if the rangers chose Albany over Bridgeport when nassu is done and the iles move there .also to Peter6625 comment the ahl out west wont fail coming even if the current ca markets tank there not going to move the rein to Manchester they are going to try another market in ca coming from someone who local team got relocated to sj new Englanders really only want to support bruins affiliates and there is only one of those maybe the owner of the pirates will buy the monarchs from the kings and put the pirates in manchester and the echl team in Portland

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad