Hope for the A-Devils?

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Yea the fans in Utica seem pretty obnoxious for whatever reason. They got the AHL by the skin of their teeth basically. They can thank their hometown boy Robert Esche who was assisted by former Providence Bruins owner Frank DuRoss is getting the deal done. Vancouver was in big trouble needing a place to put their AHL franchise quickly after their intended move to Abbotsford was locked out for contractual reasons. Uticans are fortunate enough that last year the team was solid, and the local boys who are allowed to manage the franchise (the club is owned by Vancouver, locals are allowed to manage the team) and they do whats right by the locals. They got tons of state taxpayer money to upgrade basically an outdated arena which could have helped the Adirondack Civic Center which is a much better building, they adopted a historic local hockey identity, and rightfully so after hockey has failed before at AHL, CoHl, and UHL levels people were appreciative to see hockey back and its nice to see the support.

With that being said all the sudden the fanbase has turned pretty arrogant. If ya look back at Albany way back in 1993 when the River Rats were established and became a Devils affiliate (Albany didnt take the Devils from Utica. Albany was locally owned then, and just affiliated with the Devils who sold their franchise from Utica to Portland) the first year attendance was so so. The following season attendance went up, they won the Calder Cup etc. Season after the champiosnhip saw Albany average 6101 fans per game, and still competed with the Adirondack Red Wings who were also playing to capacity crowds, hockey in the Albany-Adirondack market was thriving to. Two healthy AHL clubs and two NCAA DI teams all nearby. Fast forward twenty years where half the time Albany was not even in the playoffs ever, the old Devils regime not giving a lick of care for the Albany fanbase and thats what you have in Albany, nobody cares anymore, fanbase has been beaten down to a pulp, its not the fanbase that is totally at fault.

When I hear other AHL fans, especially Utica rag on Albany they havent a clue. I cant imagine sitting through a decade and half of watching a team that you know likely is not going to make the playoffs and their own parent team that acknowleges their AHL team serves an important role in developing winners at the NHL level, winning championships at the AHL level is not a priority for our organization. Thats a well known philosiphy which has been talked about and made known in the Albany area media. With your leadership of the very owners and management of your AHL team saying this how would this affect your desire to invest in this team in terms of season tickets, advertising, passion, merchandise. This is why for year Albany's AHL team is just there, going through the motions. After years of suffering through this ho can anyone question why thing are the way they area. Albany fans dont need the AHL. They can take in NCAA DI hockey for a hockey fix, they can go to Glens Falls and catch the ECHL Thunder (who are 7 and 0 and have an AHL calibre roster), or they can take a 2.5 hour trip to catch the NY Rangers, Islanders, and Devils. I would like to see the fans in Utica support the same hockey Albany has had to. Playoffless hockey would never fly for more then two season in Hershey or other AHL historic towns. Heck, fans in Rochester whine and moan their Amerks havent won a playoff series in past five years lol, at least they were there. Utica fans have not paid their dues, thery have not gone through adversity of any kind that has tested their will and support. Should be very interesting in the very near future. I want to see Utica not have the same on ice success for a couple season as they did last year, see how the support holds up. It should also be interesting to see if in fact sooner rather then later Vancouver decides the Abbotsford BC move or somewhere out west closer to home. So far this new trend of AHL teams playing in their parent teams arena has not been a disaster, and you can be assured its saving the ownership of these AHL teams playing in their parent clubs building a ton of money. Whether your in Albany, Springfield, Utica, Binghamton, Portland, or anyother smaller market you should be worried. If I was Utica I would be very cautious about the ego. Show strong support yes but dont get arrogant and obnoxious, your one pen signature or verbal agreement away from being an AHLess hockey town. No different then anyone else, dont think for a second you have an advantage over Albany because you dont. 800 more fans per game is not going to secure your AHL future over Albany and that is a reality.

The Utica fans understand one thing. Support the team while its here or lose it forever.......even if they do eventually leave, the diehards will just drive 50 miles west. Some of you act like it's the end of the world if a city looses an Ahl team. We survived 25 years without a team. We all survived and life went on.........some of You need to get a grip........

zetajerk

Jan 1, 2015
The Utica fans understand one thing. Support the team while its here or lose it forever.......even if they do eventually leave, the diehards will just drive 50 miles west. Some of you act like it's the end of the world if a city looses an Ahl team. We survived 25 years without a team. We all survived and life went on.........some of You need to get a grip........

That's not the issue. It's the bashing of other cities and fanbases that you know nothing about because you're still managing to (mostly) fill a 3800 seat building during your team's 3rd year of existence after a banner season, as if that makes Utica superior to and a better affiliate than Albany/Bing/ADK. Just enjoy your team and stop criticizing everyone else. Being told the Flames left because GF has "bad" fans is laughable.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
That's not the issue. It's the bashing of other cities and fanbases that you know nothing about because you're still managing to (mostly) fill a 3800 seat building during your team's 3rd year of existence after a banner season, as if that makes Utica superior to and a better affiliate than Albany/Bing/ADK. Just enjoy your team and stop criticizing everyone else. Being told the Flames left because GF has "bad" fans is laughable.

I'm not the one that said it and quite honestly the comet fans I know were quit upset about Adirondack losing their team. Get your facts straight. My cousins live in Glens falls and I have been to many games there......

RFA

Jan 17, 2010
I'm going to Utica Saturday. It's the best AHL atmosphere I've been in, probably 15 cities and who knows how many different teams in them.

I had my three year old with me at the Brawl gam in Glens Falls. She'd say "people from Utica were fighting" for months. The best part was when they were fighting outside and the cops came. There was a guy in a full Gumby outfit and the cops were talking to him and a Flames fan with a head dress and hockey gloves on. Gumby still had the mask and the Flames dude had all his stuff on. There were about 50 more Utica fans behind them. Quite a few of the Utica fans talked to us and they all seemed nice. I was 6" taller than all of them.......

Comparing attendance numbers is a waste of time. Any event that's basically not the Devils is promoted by the arena. They give tickets away to anyone who will take them. Remember the early 90s the Albany arena was still new. Rats were the cheapest way to get in. And if you think all those people paid you're nuts. There were games back then that had just as few people at them. There just wasn't a reporter who had it in for the team. The guy is so bad that he doesn't realize the Devils were sold and Lamerillo has left the country. He's still bitter over Lou.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
I'm going to Utica Saturday. It's the best AHL atmosphere I've been in, probably 15 cities and who knows how many different teams in them.

I had my three year old with me at the Brawl gam in Glens Falls. She'd say "people from Utica were fighting" for months. The best part was when they were fighting outside and the cops came. There was a guy in a full Gumby outfit and the cops were talking to him and a Flames fan with a head dress and hockey gloves on. Gumby still had the mask and the Flames dude had all his stuff on. There were about 50 more Utica fans behind them. Quite a few of the Utica fans talked to us and they all seemed nice. I was 6" taller than all of them.......

Comparing attendance numbers is a waste of time. Any event that's basically not the Devils is promoted by the arena. They give tickets away to anyone who will take them. Remember the early 90s the Albany arena was still new. Rats were the cheapest way to get in. And if you think all those people paid you're nuts. There were games back then that had just as few people at them. There just wasn't a reporter who had it in for the team. The guy is so bad that he doesn't realize the Devils were sold and Lamerillo has left the country. He's still bitter over Lou.

Hopefully things for the devils will improve. Shero now has the reigns and when he was in pittsburgh he always had a competitive Ahl team in Scranton. I have a funny feeling that so much damage has been done by Lou Lamarillo that they will have to change the team name before they do anything.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

Have family up that way, Saratoga County. Also have family who lived in Glenmont NY just outside of Albany minutes from the downtown arena before they relocated this way to No. Carolina like many Upstate NY people do. Rest assured there might have been freebies or comps but they sent me pictures where FREQUENTLY the Red Wings and Devils games drew 8000 to over 10000. Games against Rochester, the old Binghamton Rangers easily filled the lower levels of the arena (6500). I chatted with a former front office person of the old Kentucky AHL club out of Lexington who said everytime he made the trip up with the club to Albany for weekend games he said there was never no less then 4000 to 5000 taking in the games and he said he was shocked the attendance dies off as it did after the 1990s and heading into the next decade. The team was well promoted, media coverage back then was very solid in the 1990s. The Devils had an opportunity to keep the River Rats brand, and logo, it was offered to them from the Mr. Walter Robb the former owner of the franchise sold and moved to Charlotte. Lamorello and Co. basically came out publicly stating thanks but no thanks, we never liked our AHL team with that silly name or any other name other then Devils hockey...Bad move!!!! Even Bruce Springsteen had mentined that he cant imagine Albany's hockey team not being named the River Rats. Springsteen, Shania Twain, Brett Michaels, Garth Brooks, all have had their photos taken or performed while wearing the classic River Rats sweater.....That is a brand indentity, pretty or not thats a brand that gets in the head! The 1990s River Rats hockey was the foundation of success for the NJ Devils organization. You can look up attendance records of Hockey DB, you cannot convince me the attendance today is the same as the 1990s, whether you "think" paid attendance or actual fans are the same, they are not. It really is irreleveant since what we have here is a market so beaten down, nobody cares. You wanna try and tell me Lowell Mass wouldnt still have an AHL or ECHL club if it was Bruins affiliated????

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014

So, you must be an Adirondack fan????? Is that why you like throwing barbs towards Albany???? If that is fact then why not support the Adirondack ECHL club? Seems like they have started a pretty solid team with the Thunder. Fans up that way protesting the team (prices totally different matter) could easily backfire.

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Looks like the devils have a pretty solid team this year. The comets will be more of a playoff bubble team. So it will be interesting to see how attendance adds up over the winter. Utica small building really hampers the ability to recover from those games with low attendance. The bigger arenas can draw 2,00 weeknights then off set it with 5,000 on weekends... But I see no way they will be able to increase seating in Utica anytime soon.....

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Good team in Albany.
Hope playoff attendance reaches 8k per game.

Hahahhahahaha

Nobody in minor league hockey draws that great really in the playoffs especially on a consistent basis. Albany sure as hell won't.

On another note my condolences on them still being stuck with an organization that couldn't give a rats ass about the minor leagues.

Nightsquad

Jan 25, 2014
I don't think Albany looks that great going into the playoffs personally, unless they get five players or so back from NJ. Albany has been playing with a depleted roster due to call ups and injury. They have had been luck. They lost their best players to NJ, their recent additions who have been doing well are injured. I think the team up in Albany is ripe for a first round exit.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Lou the Idiot is now gone, I think NJ will do better with development as they can't do much worse that they were anyhow.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
LOL calling a guy with 3 Cups and 5 Finals an idiot.

AHL attendance is more important than NHL on ice success, to some, I see.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
LOL calling a guy with 3 Cups and 5 Finals an idiot.

AHL attendance is more important than NHL on ice success, to some, I see.

Some people don't care about that league. Granted way more people don't care about minor league sports but there are those who don't care about the top leagues.

I'm not huge on it all but....I remember seeing how they won, very boring. Once all the rule changes happen his teams were mostly irrelevant except for one year where they had a lucky run but were outclassed in the championship round.

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Some people don't care about that league. Granted way more people don't care about minor league sports but there are those who don't care about the top leagues.

I'm not huge on it all but....I remember seeing how they won, very boring. Once all the rule changes happen his teams were mostly irrelevant except for one year where they had a lucky run but were outclassed in the championship round.

The boring trap team was 1995. After that the '00 team was very fun to watch, even top 5 in scoring if I remember correctly. The '01 finalist team was basically the same. The '03 championship team was also not a trapping team nor was the 2011 finalist team.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
The boring trap team was 1995. After that the '00 team was very fun to watch, even top 5 in scoring if I remember correctly. The '01 finalist team was basically the same. The '03 championship team was also not a trapping team nor was the 2011 finalist team.

2012 Finals was a fast skating/forechecking team with stars Parise and Kovalchuk, under Pete Deboer.
They lost (2) OT games, were absolutely not outclassed in that series vs LAK.

The 1995 was far from boring, they had an incredible lineup.
Big/heavy team that can skate and score timely goals.
Plus they got HOF worthy goaltending.

They had to go through 3 of the best teams in the league to hoist the Cup.
Pittsburgh, Philly, Detroit.

2000 Cup team led the league in goals and were wildly entertaining.

This year's Albany team is outshooting opponents by wide margins nightly.
It's a fast & deep team.

Hopefully they can mesh and go on a long run.

It would be good for the City of Albany & the Capital Region.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
You can look up scores. There seem to be a lot of games(especially clinchers)where they gave up not a lot of goals or shots. That does fit the boring notion.

You can look up scores but I either attended or watched the games.

I thought the objective of hockey was to score goals and prevent the other team from scoring.

They were exciting games with lots of drama. Much better than today's boring No Hitting League.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad