GDT: Home Opener! Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames

Trae

Calgary
I didn't have a problem with MacDonald last game, he played exactly the type of game I expected him to play, that being said I don't think he played outstanding to the point he earned another start. I think we should be rotating to see what we have in Ramo. I trust Hartley though, and it's not terrible for Ramo to ease back into NHL action. I'd like to see him play though,

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Okay you guys need to stop ******** on MacDonald because it's getting ridiculous. Way too early in the season to be handing King Ramo the Crown. At least wait until he earns the damned thing.

I don't think anyone is saying GIVE Ramo the crown, but FFS let him earn it. He can't show us anything from the bench, and sending in a guy once every 2 weeks is not giving him a chance to succeed. We know what we have in MacD, a servicable NHL Back-up goalie, let us frickin' see if we have an NHL starting goalie in Ramo, instead of letting MacD play 3 games straight because in his first game he was good when sparsely tested, even though Ramo was really good, except when OVECHKIN was shooting.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Ramo was also really good, except for when Ovechkin was shooting, and except for every time someone deked a little bit like on the break away or in the shootout.

MacDonald had... one "bad" goal from Santorelli which all of us could've saved apparently because we know to go into the butterfly.

Giving the puck away accounts for more goals against this season than MacDonald not being good enough.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Ramo was also really good, except for when Ovechkin was shooting, and except for every time someone deked a little bit like on the break away or in the shootout.

MacDonald had... one "bad" goal from Santorelli which all of us could've saved apparently because we know to go into the butterfly.

Giving the puck away accounts for more goals against this season than MacDonald not being good enough.

Well said I don't think the goalie will matter as much as defensive play will

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton

I counted 2 bad goals in a row, giveaway or not, your goalie has to bail you out on those shots, especially when the shots are stoppable, simple as that.

Ramo got beat on a nice move on a clear cut, no challengers breakaway, a one timer by Ovechkin that was deflected, and cannon of a slapshot by Ovechkin that was deflected, and a gorgeous cross ice pass-one-timer that Ovechkin passed(I point this out because if Ovechkin has the puck you have to commit 100% to the shot) and he lost in a shootout against players he had never faced before, in his first game back in the NHL in 3 years, who made nice dekes off of good head fakes. Not one of those goals I put on Ramo, whereas I put 3 of the goals MacD has let in this season on him.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Which is a fair enough point, but it still doesn't explain why we would want MacDonald in net instead of Ramo. Granted, MacDonald isn't totally to blame, but what has Ramo done to deserve being sat on the bench for three consecutive games?

In other news, this means that McGrattan is being completely reprieved for his horrendous turnover on that first Santorelli goal. I guess Hartley's really pushing the 'learning from your mistakes' message, and doesn't want his players playing scared to make a mistake.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
So only goals scored on MacDonald are stoppable where as Ramo could've done absolutely nothing different.

The goal scored by Weise was a cross ice pass from Richardson. Anytime those are stopped, they're considering HUGE saves.

Richardson's pass was also cleaner than Ovechkin's "gorgeous" pass, which Backstrom had to pull back at first into proper shooting position because it was in front of him.

If there's a bad goal there, it's the one on Ramo because Ramo had way more time to get into position.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So only goals scored on MacDonald are stoppable where as Ramo could've done absolutely nothing different.

The goal scored by Weise was a cross ice pass from Richardson. Anytime those are stopped, they're considering HUGE saves.

Richardson's pass was also cleaner than Ovechkin's "gorgeous" pass, which Backstrom had to pull back at first into proper shooting position because it was in front of him.

If there's a bad goal there, it's the one on Ramo because Ramo had way more time to get into position.

There is clear selection bias here. You can't just take Ramo's most stoppable goal and MacDonald's most unstoppable goal and use that as evidence of anything.

FlamesFinnishStarter mentioned three goals that he believed were bad ones on MacDonald's part (I'm guessing Santorelli's first, Gaborik's goal and Anisimov's goal), and probably none of them were the one you have posted up there.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
There is clear selection bias here. You can't just take Ramo's most stoppable goal and MacDonald's most unstoppable goal and use that as evidence of anything.

FlamesFinnishStarter mentioned three goals that he believed were bad ones on MacDonald's part (I'm guessing Santorelli's first, Gaborik's goal and Anisimov's goal), and probably none of them were the one you have posted up there.

He said "two bad goals in a row."

Weise scored the goal after Santorelli.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
He said "two bad goals in a row."

Weise scored the goal after Santorelli.

Unless he was talking about the Columbus goals, but I doubt that. In that case, I do agree. I guess the Weise one was a little weak in that he kind of kicked it in, but once it's behind you like that it's kind of hard to control where the puck goes.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I dont mind macdonald but its stressful watching him when hes on his ass half the time

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Okay you guys need to stop ******** on MacDonald because it's getting ridiculous. Way too early in the season to be handing King Ramo the Crown. At least wait until he earns the damned thing.

What do you think training camp was for?
Joey MacDonald was the worst of the three goaltenders in camp, and has done nothing to warrant being the starter of this team outside of being a familiar face and vetran presence (sounds familiar).

We all know what MacDonald brings to the table. He is a career .900 SV% goaltender that has had plenty of opportunity to solidify himself in the NHL as a starter over the years. Atleast with Ramo there is the potential for more, and although he is still a relative unknown at this level, he has outperformed MacDonald from day one here in Calgary.

Listen, I love MacDonald's attitude and character but at this point he is nothing more than a career backup who at best will win you .500 of his starts.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Not that Gaborik's goal matters anyway. The puck deflected to Gaborik who got in behind both the defense and MacDonald. Ramo wasn't going to stop that one either.

Maybe Ramo wouldn't have kicked a long-range slapshot with no traffic right into the slot, though. This is why it was a weak goal.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Maybe Ramo wouldn't have kicked a long-range slapshot with no traffic right into the slot, though. This is why it was a weak goal.

Please explain how he could of deflected it anywhere else. Because you really cant on a shot like that.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
What do you think training camp was for?
Joey MacDonald was the worst of the three goaltenders in camp, and has done nothing to warrant being the starter of this team outside of being a familiar face and vetran presence (sounds familiar).

We all know what MacDonald brings to the table. He is a career .900 SV% goaltender that has had plenty of opportunity to solidify himself in the NHL as a starter over the years. Atleast with Ramo there is the potential for more, and although he is still a relative unknown at this level, he has outperformed MacDonald from day one here in Calgary.

Listen, I love MacDonald's attitude and character but at this point he is nothing more than a career backup who at best will win you .500 of his starts.

Yes. Id rather learn what we got with Ramo and Berra in the event that these aren't the guys. Then next free agency, draft, training camp, etc. a more informed decision about goaltending depth can be made going forward with the rebuild. If Ramo and Berra are busts, then we know to look elsewhere. If we know macdonald is a career back-up and the other two are still unknown, opportunities can pass us by

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Please explain how he could of deflected it anywhere else. Because you really cant on a shot like that.

Use your paddle/pad in combo, chip it into the corner. Only works if you are prepared to shift your body a little while making the save. It's the technique that Kipper always used.

I actually found an article on it so you don't have to take it from a guy who has never played organized ice hockey before.

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Use your paddle/pad in combo, chip it into the corner. Only works if you are prepared to shift your body a little while making the save. It's the technique that Kipper always used.

I actually found an article on it so you don't have to take it from a guy who has never played organized ice hockey before.

This is true, a goalie can always control where the rebounds go, its all about angles. Placing a rebound where you want is a trait that almost every goalie learns very early, however many factors can play into a goalies inability to direct a rebound on any given shot. That being said, rebound control is a very vital part of being an NHL goaltender and on this particular instance it could have been performed better.

Lanny'sDaMan

Feb 19, 2005
Calgary
Personally, I think more anger should be directed at Glencross for his uninspired and lazy plays so far this young season than at either goaltender. Sure both Ramo and Macdonald could have been better, but without horrific giveaways and lazy swiping stick plays the likes of which Glencross has been guilty of, many of the scoring chances are nullified.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Personally, I think more anger should be directed at Glencross for his uninspired and lazy plays so far this young season than at either goaltender. Sure both Ramo and Macdonald could have been better, but without horrific giveaways and lazy swiping stick plays the likes of which Glencross has been guilty of, many of the scoring chances are nullified.

Yes, Glencross has been ineffective so far, but he will get going. He always does.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Yea that was a very weak play by him, but knowing him he will get called on it an won't let it happen again. I think GlenX and Hudler are trying to hard to be Iggy and Tangs right now, they look like they are trying to play someone elses game when they settle down I think it will be fine.

Lanny'sDaMan

Feb 19, 2005
Calgary
Yea that was a very weak play by him, but knowing him he will get called on it an won't let it happen again. I think GlenX and Hudler are trying to hard to be Iggy and Tangs right now, they look like they are trying to play someone elses game when they settle down I think it will be fine.

Oh I have no doubt he'll get it together, I am just so tired of lazy plays that we've seen from the "Country club" Flames of the past that seeing even a couple games of a player looking disinterested makes me rage out. Scoreface is better than those plays and he needs to step it up and show some leadership, especially this season.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Oh I have no doubt he'll get it together, I am just so tired of lazy plays that we've seen from the "Country club" Flames of the past that seeing even a couple games of a player looking disinterested makes me rage out. Scoreface is better than those plays and he needs to step it up and show some leadership, especially this season.

Yea like I said I think that GlenX and Hudler have put pressure on themselves to replace Iggy and Tangs. It might take a few games but I think they will find their own game and stop worrying about replacing anyone. (hoping here a bit too)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad