GDT: Home Opener! Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
anyways... i don`t know why you`feel insulted or anything, im actually praising the team

they are doing very well

and yes blame the defensive blunders all you want

don`t expect Ramo/MacDonald to save yer arses

their job is to bring Calgary a 1st overall pick...however if Feaster would have opted to solve temporarily their goaltending, a playoff spot this year was feasible

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Feaster did have a plan for Kippers retirement. Acquiring Ramo and Berra, drafting Gillies and Brossoit. Our goaltending stable is far from empty, just give it time.

troubadour*

Well done Calgary, you did better than Edmonton did and that's saying something considering the stages of their teams. But it seems Vancity won even without much scoring from the Sisters. The sisters were shut down.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Feaster did have a plan for Kippers retirement. Acquiring Ramo and Berra, drafting Gillies and Brossoit. Our goaltending stable is far from empty, just give it time.

yeah, just no plan to win this year...

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
yeah, just no plan to win this year...

which is my point and it's too bad, because like I said their offense is getting the job done

and half of the teams in the NHL suffer from bad choices and turnovers

some teams have a goalie to erase those mistakes though...

and Feaster's plan...lemme go sign RAMO!!!! more like he gave this year's season ticket holders a nice RAMO

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
which is my point and it's too bad, because like I said their offense is getting the job done

and Feaster's plan...lemme go sign RAMO!!!! more like he gave this year's season ticket holders a nice RAMO

Ramo was fine in his game Quick has been bad to start the year no reason to think he wouldn't be bad here. Again what would we have traded for a goalie?

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013

This team doesn't belong to Ramo or MacDonald. Ortio and Berra IMO are the goalies of the near future for the team, with Brossoit and Gillies down the road.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Its one thing to criticize, its another to do it and offer no solutions. The solutions imply an ambition to see the team's success, while constant criticism implies trolling.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Well done Calgary, you did better than Edmonton did and that's saying something considering the stages of their teams. But it seems Vancity won even without much scoring from the Sisters. The sisters were shut down.

Huh. You know what that's right. I'm actually a little more impressed now.

I still hate our bottom pairing.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Well we didn't have Stajan for the past two games. Maybe he could helped a bit more significantly. Probably better defensive zone coverage and more face-off wins. Also Cammy would have helped as well.

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
anyways... i don`t know why you`feel insulted or anything, im actually praising the team

they are doing very well

and yes blame the defensive blunders all you want

don`t expect Ramo/MacDonald to save yer arses

their job is to bring Calgary a 1st overall pick...however if Feaster would have opted to solve temporarily their goaltending, a playoff spot this year was feasible

In a rebuild, the only reason you want to make the playoffs is because your core guys were good enough to get you there. Some veterans are fine, but you don't want them to be linchpins to the team's success, because then once those guys are out of the picture, the rebuild is right back to square one.

We absolutely did have a plan for Kipper's retirement, and it was to bring in a healthy quantity of good, young goalies. We have a really good goalie prospect in the NCAA, we have a guy who has gone to back to back WHL finals, and we have a guy who has played a few years in the Finland who all need a bit more seasoning before being ready for the big league. We also brought in Ramo and Berra, who have both shown real class in the Finnish League and the World Cup respectively. Our goaltending situation is designed to be such that a starter will eventually emerge, and when they do, they will still be young enough to be our starter for a long time. If more than one of our guys turns into a star, then we have a great situation on our hands and can move one for other needs.

The fact that you are criticizing Ramo and suggesting Theodore (current Theodore, not Vezina Theodore) as a better alternative tells me just about all I need to know about your level of knowledge on this subject. You suggested trading for an all-star, but I think we both know that that would be an awful idea for a team which does not have assets of that quality which it can afford to trade. You suggested bringing in one of the free-agent geezers, but not one of those goalies is likely to be better than Ramo, and unlike Ramo, they have no room (or time) to improve, and can't be part of the future solution.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Disappointed we didn't get the win, but at least we got a point. Can't complain that we're playing above .500 right? :laugh:

I'm a little surprised nobody pointed out Kerr during that made scramble that led to the tying goal:

rob.kerr.where.is.it.jpg

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
idc what anybody says but mcgrattan cost us this game 100%. if it wasnt for his lousy giveaway near the blueline we wouldve still been up 3-2 and the outcome of the game would have been way different. id sit him for next game

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
oh yea a robb kerr ceases to amaze me. this guy has to be one of the worst play by play anouncers in the history of the nhl. his phrases are over used and his voice is horrendous

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Ramo and Mac are both really 'meh.' But MacDonald seems to have a knack for making game breaking saves. But Ramo is younger and has more "potential." If we're not finding ways to score 3+ a game, I don't think we'll be winning very many games.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Credit to AC from CP for this GIF. Gotta love how intently Monahan is watching. First one to notice they score, turns around for a high five, and there are none to be found. LMAO!

kTCXg6j.gif

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Man, Street throws it no-man's land once they finally settle it down on the power play?! Bring in Knight or Horak
You do realize that Horak and Knight have proved no more than Street right? In fact while linemates in Abbotsford last year it was Street that was the better offensive performer. He is also better defensively and on faceoffs.

Quite frankly at this point in time Street is a better player than Horak.

Can't say much about Knight since he haven't have the chance yet.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
/\ haha he winds up bonking Sven on the head.

I'm not a fan of blowing multi goal leads. That habit needs curing immediately.

On the upside, I'm (Happy? Satisfied? Impressed?) with a 1-0-2 start.
I don't like blowing leads either, but lets's be honest here; closing out games is one of the toughest things for a young team to learn. The fact we have been ahead or tied at the end of 60 minutes every game so far is an encouraging sign though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
oh yea a robb kerr ceases to amaze me. this guy has to be one of the worst play by play anouncers in the history of the nhl. his phrases are over used and his voice is horrendous
Kerr has new respect from me when he made the call on the MacDonad stick save, him saying he brokered the save was quite frankly awesome.

I still hate him though

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
/\ haha he winds up bonking Sven on the head.

I'm not a fan of blowing multi goal leads. That habit needs curing immediately.

On the upside, I'm (Happy? Satisfied? Impressed?) with a 1-0-2 start.

While I absolutely agree with you, I wonder how many of us would be saying that the problem the team needs to work on is blowing multi-goal leads in the first year of a rebuild? :laugh:

Heck, I'll take it.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Disappointing result for sure, but the boys have finally been putting in a 60 minute effort, and we cannot be upset for that at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad