GDT: Home Opener! Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Yea like I said I think that GlenX and Hudler have put pressure on themselves to replace Iggy and Tangs. It might take a few games but I think they will find their own game and stop worrying about replacing anyone. (hoping here a bit too)

I don't know if that's what's wrong with Hudlers game right now. He was just not moving his feet last game at all. I caught him standing still almost every time he got the puck last game. He doesn't look fully recovered from that injury IMO.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
And yet didn't Hudler have a point or two and was a +1 last game?

On the first power play when the Flames were finally able to settle things down in the Canucks zone he passed the puck to a Canucks player. Seriously the Nuck was just standing in the slot and the puck when right to his stick. Great pass by Huds though.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
What do you think training camp was for?
Joey MacDonald was the worst of the three goaltenders in camp, and has done nothing to warrant being the starter of this team outside of being a familiar face and vetran presence (sounds familiar).

We all know what MacDonald brings to the table. He is a career .900 SV% goaltender that has had plenty of opportunity to solidify himself in the NHL as a starter over the years. Atleast with Ramo there is the potential for more, and although he is still a relative unknown at this level, he has outperformed MacDonald from day one here in Calgary.

Listen, I love MacDonald's attitude and character but at this point he is nothing more than a career backup who at best will win you .500 of his starts.

We know exactly what MacDonald brings.

Ramo, on the other hand, has never put up a .900 SV% in the NHL. "Best goalie not in the NHL" only puts him in the company of Jonas Gustavsson.

If Ramo is truly better, he'll win the #1 spot.

The only thing I'm saying is don't gift it to him like he has no competition.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Have you seen the goal? Puck shot by Comeau from beyond the top of the circle, kicked into the slot by Mac, knocked over Mac by Dubinsky and converted by Gaborik.

So we're arguing that Ramo would've not kicked a low, hard shot to Dubinsky who would, in turn not bowl into Ramo, and not allow Gaborik to score. Or are you say that if Ramo had been in net, Comeau would have shot it at his crest instead, preventing any play whatsoever? That low pad shot is a rebound every time.

This is like the "if only Lindros could keep his head down but not get injured" arguments I see all over the HoH section. It's a hypothetical. There's no way for me to disprove what didn't happen.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
So we're arguing that Ramo would've not kicked a low, hard shot to Dubinsky who would, in turn not bowl into Ramo, and not allow Gaborik to score. Or are you say that if Ramo had been in net, Comeau would have shot it at his crest instead, preventing any play whatsoever? That low pad shot is a rebound every time.

This is like the "if only Lindros could keep his head down but not get injured" arguments I see all over the HoH section. It's a hypothetical. There's no way for me to disprove what didn't happen.

So you're also stating, like Herashak did, that MacDonald could not possibly do anything else with the rebound. Well, I replied to Herashak on that, so I'll just repost that here:

Use your paddle/pad in combo, chip it into the corner. Only works if you are prepared to shift your body a little while making the save. It's the technique that Kipper always used.

I actually found an article on it so you don't have to take it from a guy who has never played organized ice hockey before.

Granted, a certain subsection of pad saves will always produce a bad rebound, but a common theme among these would be shots from close range, deflections, or obstructed view for the goalie. Comeau's shot was from long-range with no traffic. There was no excuse that I can think of for kicking it into the slot other than lack of ability or lack of focus. Other goalies are more than capable of dealing with that shot.

May 27, 2012
Earth
We can't decide who plays, only Hartley can. If he feels Joey Mac is the right man for the job we should go along with it. Sure I want Ramo to get some games in, but what can you do?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Well... you're the one who posed the hypothetical situation that if Ramo were in net, he wouldn't have done what Joey Mac had. :huh: Since it is purely hypothetical, could Ramo have not made the same mistake?

I never assumed anything. I said that 'maybe Ramo wouldn't have' kicked the puck into the slot. The point is, as long as we aren't playing him, we won't really know, and we'll apparently have to live with goals like that.

If I get what you're saying, it's that switching to Ramo gives us the chance that we might get the same performance from our goalie as with MacDonald. We might very well get a better performance, so it's what I would call 'nothing to lose.'

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
So can we not assume that Ramo would kick it into the slot too?

Who knows what Ramo would have done, none of us have a crystal ball, all he's saying is that MacD handled that initial shot very poorly, and that the goal was preventable, instead of what your argument appears to be where the goal was inevitable and there was nothing within reason that MacD could have done, based on what happened and what he saw.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
So can we not assume that Ramo would kick it into the slot too?

I don't really have a horse in this race but Ramo tends to kick rebounds into the corners while MacD tends to make the first save a worry about the rebound later. Not saying I think Ramo would have been better but Ramo has shown better rebound control.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
Peter Maher is speculating that one of the reasons they may have chosen Joey Mac over Ramo to play against the Habs is Macs record vs them. I wish I could remember exactly but he has something like a 1.31GAA and a .930 save % vs the Habs in his career.

I think Hartley may have made the right choice.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Peter Maher is speculating that one of the reasons they may have chosen Joey Mac over Ramo to play against the Habs is Macs record vs them. I wish I could remember exactly but he has something like a 1.31GAA and a .930 save % vs the Habs in his career.

How many times has he played them 1 3rd period in a blowout?:laugh:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
You cant deflect a shot with your stick when its that far away, youd have to flip your stick the other way and it would take to long either way. You realise a goalies pad is at around a 45 degree angle where he shot it at.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You cant deflect a shot with your stick when its that far away, youd have to flip your stick the other way and it would take to long either way. You realise a goalies pad is at around a 45 degree angle where he shot it at.

One of the things I said is that if you are going to controlling the rebound, you need to be willing to shift your body in order to make that happen, thus putting the shot less far down the pad.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
One of the things I said is that if you are going to controlling the rebound, you need to be willing to shift your body in order to make that happen, thus putting the shot less far down the pad.

From what i recall he took a slapshot from near the top of the circle. Its a reaction to go straight into the butterfly to get rid of the five hole right away. Not all that easy to control the rebound.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
From what i recall he took a slapshot from near the top of the circle. Its a reaction to go straight into the butterfly to get rid of the five hole right away. Not all that easy to control the rebound.

I would be just fine with it if it was so close in that there was no reaction time, but Comeau's shot was from long-range. The fact that he actually kicked the puck tells me it wasn't a case of the puck simply hitting him, which would be the case if he had no time to react. He actually recognized the puck travelling toward his right pad and kicked it. I believe that the same amount of time would be required to slight ever so deftly to his right and paddle it to the corner. Again, I believe it is covered by that article I posted.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

According to this site, MacDonald's played against the Canadien's twice in his career.

First occasion was in 2008 while he was with the Islanders. Played the full game plus overtime, let in three goals and had a save percentage of .885.

Second occasion was in 2009 while with the Leafs. Played 40 minutes without letting in a goal on 18 shots.

How many times has he played them 1 3rd period in a blowout?:laugh:

So yeah, basically this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad