GDT: Home Opener! Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Good news everyone! We're playing at home!

3114318-professor+farnsworth.jpeg

GAME #3
Calgary Flames vs Vancouver Canucks

6 pm Mountain Time on Sportsnet West

Projected Lineups

200px-Calgary_Flames_Logo.svg.png

CALGARY FLAMES
(1-0-1)

Glencross.jpg
|
Colborne.jpg
|
D.Jones.jpg

Cutris Glencross | Joe Colborne | David Jones

Hudler.jpg
|
Backlund.jpg
|
Galiaridi.jpg

Jiri Hudler | Mickeal Backlund | TJ Galiaridi

Baertschi.jpg
|
Monahan.jpg
|
stempniak.jpg

Sven Baertschi | Sean Monahan | Lee Stempniak

Bouma.jpg
|
Colborne.jpg
|
McGrattan.jpg

Lance Bouma | Ben Street | Brian McGrattan

Giordano.jpg
|
Brodie.jpg

Mark Giordano | TJ Brodie

Russell.jpg
|
Wideman.jpg

Kris Russell | Dennis Wideman

Butler.jpg
|
Sieloff.jpg

Chris Butler | Shane O'Brien

MacDonald.jpg

Joey Macdonald

Ramo.jpg

Karri Ramo

nhl-canucks.png

Vancouver Canucks
1-1-0

D. Sedin | H. Sedin | J. Hansen
C. Higgins | R. Kesler | D. Booth
D. Weise | B. Richardson | M. Santorelli
T. Sestito | Z. Dalpe | Y. Weber

D. Hamhuis | K. Bieksa
A. Edler | J. Garrison
R. Stanton | C. Tanev

R. Luongo
E. Lack

Season series: This is the first of five meetings between the Vancouver Canucks and Calgary Flames. They won’t meet again until Dec. 29 at Scotiabank Saddledome.

Big story: The Flames return to Calgary for their home opener after earning three of a possible four points on the road to start the season.

Team Scope:

Canucks: Vancouver bounced back from Thursday’s season-opening 4-1 loss to the San Jose Sharks by trouncing the Edmonton Oilers in a 6-2 victory at Rogers Arena on Saturday night. The Canucks chased Oilers goalie Devan Dubnyk, scoring five goals before the end of the second period.

"We were consistent tonight in our attack, I'm happy with that,” Canucks coach John Tortorella said. “It's about consistency, and tonight we had it."

Flames: After opening their regular season with a 5-4 shootout loss to the Washington Capitals on Thursday, Calgary earned its first win of 2013-14 Friday night in a 4-3 victory against the Columbus Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena. Jiri Hudler and Curtis Glencross scored 42 seconds apart in the third period to spoil the Blue Jackets’ home opener.

"We have to be resilient," Hudler said. "Things are going to happen in games that don't go our way. I thought tonight was another great effort. We did a good job of holding the lead."

Who’s hot: Canucks captain Henrik Sedin had three assists and twin brother Daniel Sedin had a goal and an assist Saturday night. … Hudler has two goals in Calgary’s first two games. Flames captain Mark Giordano has three assists.

Injury report: Canucks center Jordan Schroeder (broken foot) is on injured reserve and will miss three weeks. Forward Zack Kassian is serving a five-game suspension. … Flames forward Mike Cammalleri is out with a hand injury.

jJCjaVH.png

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm sorry but I find it extremely disrespectful when fans refer to their own players as things such as "Shane O'Bum" it is really pathetic that people that claim to be fans do **** like this. You might not like a player, but insulting players on your own team is never something that should be happening.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Great GDT!

Hoping for a big game from Monahan, Baertschi, and Ramo!

Go :flames Go!

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I'm sorry but I find it extremely disrespectful when fans refer to their own players as things such as "Shane O'Bum" it is really pathetic that people that claim to be fans do **** like this. You might not like a player, but insulting players on your own team is never something that should be happening.

Didn't even see that... Well said, Abbotsford Heat. I agree 100%!

Especially when that "Shane O'Bum" would be the first guy into a scrum for a teammate!

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

:laugh: Calm down he copied and pasted my lineup and I did that. O'brien is terrible and I don't have to like him to like the team.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
:laugh: Calm down he copied and pasted my lineup and I did that. O'brien is terrible and I don't have to like him to like the team.

I agree that you don't need to like him in order to like this team... but calling him "Shane O'Bum" on the main page of our GTD reflects poorly on our fanbase as a whole. I have no problem with making fun of the opposing team on the first page of the GTD, but it should always be pro Calgary no matter what! Just my opinion.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I have made the necessary changes, let's move on to the game at hand. I wasn't sure what line to say as the first line. Which of those three top lines saw the most ice in Columbus? I'm thinking it would have been Backlund's unit.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I agree that you don't need to like him in order to like this team... but calling him "Shane O'Bum" on the main page of our GTD reflects poorly on our fanbase as a whole. I have no problem with making fun of the opposing team on the first page of the GTD, but it should always be pro Calgary no matter what! Just my opinion.

Well seeing as no one even noticed last game I can't imagine its a big deal. I didn't realize that SOB's family posted on this thread from now on I will be extra nice to him.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
Well seeing as no one even noticed last game I can't imagine its a big deal. I didn't realize that SOB's family posted on this thread from now on I will be extra nice to him.

Nope, just a Flames fan stating his opinion. No need to get so defensive, we're all supporting the same team!

I hope we see a McGrattan vs Sesito fight to open up game! Get the momentum going right off the bat!

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Not liking someone does not mean you have to be disrespectful and I likely would have noticed last game had I gone into the GDT before the game was over

Aug 3, 2010
Fairly certain that you have a bit of misinformation.

MacDonald's already been confirmed to start. Secondly, the game starts at 7pm, but the broadcast (pre-game show) starts at 6pm.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=685737&navid=DL|CGY|home

Lots of information in that news post! Hartley's quote about Colborne and how he wants his players to play is fantastic. I was a fan of him when he was hired but now that he's a full training camp and a real chance to acclimate to the team, I am ecstatic about Calgary's games this year.

Hoping for a Calgary win, knowing that I can expect an entertaining tilt.

Will predict a 4-2 win for the boys in red.

GO FLAMES GO!

Flamesarmstrong22

May 2, 2012
Toronto
Was looking forward to see how ramo could handle the canucks but according to the flames twitter he won't be getting the start.

@NHLFlames: As per #Flames head coach Bob Hartley, Joey MacDonald will start in net tonight. #CGYVAN

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Is it me or is the Nucks bottom 6 underwhelming? Just doesn't seem good enough for a supposed playoff team.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Fairly certain that you have a bit of misinformation.

MacDonald's already been confirmed to start. Secondly, the game starts at 7pm, but the broadcast (pre-game show) starts at 6pm.

http://flames.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=685737&navid=DL|CGY|home

Lots of information in that news post! Hartley's quote about Colborne and how he wants his players to play is fantastic. I was a fan of him when he was hired but now that he's a full training camp and a real chance to acclimate to the team, I am ecstatic about Calgary's games this year.

Hoping for a Calgary win, knowing that I can expect an entertaining tilt.

Will predict a 4-2 win for the boys in red.

GO FLAMES GO!

I've updated the starting goalies for tonight's game (with a sense of extreme surprise), but everything I can find (flames.nhl.com, nhl.com, yahoo) confirms that the game is at 8ET, 5PT, 6MT.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Is it me or is the Nucks bottom 6 underwhelming? Just doesn't seem good enough for a supposed playoff team.

This is what happens when you pour that much money into a goalie and two forwards. Then they have a fairly pricey top-4 on defence, too.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
As far as I'm concerned, MacDonald had a hand in two out of Columbus' three goals on Friday night. How are we going to know what we have in Ramo without playing him?

That said, perhaps there are other factors. Maybe Ramo is banged up?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad