GDT: Home Opener! Vancouver Canucks at Calgary Flames

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
According to this site, MacDonald's played against the Canadien's twice in his career.

First occasion was in 2008 while he was with the Islanders. Played the full game plus overtime, let in three goals and had a save percentage of .885.

Second occasion was in 2009 while with the Leafs. Played 40 minutes without letting in a goal on 18 shots.

So yeah, basically this.

Sounds like typical coach BS if he said it was due to past success just didn't want to say Ramo needs a little more practice or I think MacD is better.

Beats By CoRD

Tommy Fresh
Jul 12, 2009
In The Studio
www.myflashstore.net
According to this site, MacDonald's played against the Canadien's twice in his career.

First occasion was in 2008 while he was with the Islanders. Played the full game plus overtime, let in three goals and had a save percentage of .885.

Second occasion was in 2009 while with the Leafs. Played 40 minutes without letting in a goal on 18 shots.

So yeah, basically this.

Interesting. Sounds like Peter Maher was really reaching with that statistic. That means absolutely nothing. :laugh:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I would be just fine with it if it was so close in that there was no reaction time, but Comeau's shot was from long-range. The fact that he actually kicked the puck tells me it wasn't a case of the puck simply hitting him, which would be the case if he had no time to react. He actually recognized the puck travelling toward his right pad and kicked it. I believe that the same amount of time would be required to slight ever so deftly to his right and paddle it to the corner. Again, I believe it is covered by that article I posted.
when you go into butterfly you push your knees down and your hips forward, then you react by kicking your legs out. For sure he had time to react a bit to it (kick out the right leg). but i dont think he had time to slide to the side 1-2 feet without actually knowing the puck was going there.

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Interesting. Sounds like Peter Maher was really reaching with that statistic. That means absolutely nothing. :laugh:

It could happen. Any time a team that had Antero Nittymaki was playing the Atlanta Thrashers, Nittymaki was in net. I think he had like 3 OTL to them in his entire career.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
when you go into butterfly you push your knees down and your hips forward, then you react by kicking your legs out. For sure he had time to react a bit to it (kick out the right leg). but i dont think he had time to slide to the side 1-2 feet without actually knowing the puck was going there.

You misunderstand me, though. You're able to slide to the side as you are going into butterfly.

fallsviewafro*

I've played competitive goalie for 20 years.... just stop with the goalie theory-crafting.

Ramo should be starting most games because:

-He's being paid decent money
-He needs to prove himself in the NHL
-This is his chance to run with it

Not because of slapfighting over Joey Mac would have done this and Ramo would have done that on any given shot. None of you know who would have done what, so don't even bother.

I was under the impression that Ramo would be given an opportunity to prove himself as a starter, and Joey Mac would be the veteran calming presence helping mentor him in the NHL game and providing some levity if things got out of control. Yes, its less than five games in the season, but I don't want the Flames finding random reasons here or there why a career backup is getting consecutive starts... especially while the guy being paid 2.5m/year with all the expectations of being the future starter gets fewer chances to prove himself.

Past that? Ramo's mask is cooler. :laugh:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I've played competitive goalie for 20 years.... just stop with the goalie theory-crafting.

Ramo should be starting most games because:

-He's being paid decent money
-He needs to prove himself in the NHL
-This is his chance to run with it

Not because of slapfighting over Joey Mac would have done this and Ramo would have done that on any given shot. None of you know who would have done what, so don't even bother.

I was under the impression that Ramo would be given an opportunity to prove himself as a starter, and Joey Mac would be the veteran calming presence helping mentor him in the NHL game and providing some levity if things got out of control. Yes, its less than five games in the season, but I don't want the Flames finding random reasons here or there why a career backup is getting consecutive starts... especially while the guy being paid 2.5m/year with all the expectations of being the future starter gets fewer chances to prove himself.

Past that? Ramo's mask is cooler. :laugh:

The other 2 points make sense this one doesn't and shouldn't matter.

fallsviewafro*

It does matter, as its linked to him having to prove himself. I don't care about having the guys making the most money playing the most minutes or anything like that.

His paycheque was required to lure him over to the NHL. Why did we give him a bigger paycheque than Joey Mac to come over to the NHL? So he could start games - Ramo didn't come here to be a backup. If he's not starting games, why did we give him the paycheque?

Now, to your credit, this is a moot point since he will definitely be getting more starts in the future and its only 3 games in. However, I don't buy "oh, Joey Mac is good against the Habs, so he should start his third game in a row!" How about "we paid this guy to come over to the NHL to play and prove himself, so lets give him that chance as often as possible." I'd rather see what Ramo's got, especially considering the entire organization has acknowledged its rebuild time. Rebuild time doesn't mean "start the career backup in three consecutive games when you paid twice as much money to lure a KHL starter to your team." Ramo should be starting, because that's what we paid him to do. I really don't see any constructive reason for Mac to start.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I don't see what all the fuss is about. Fact is, we are only 3 games into the season and BOTH goalies have looked shaky and blown multi goal leads.

Although it seems puzzling that Ramo doesn't go in seeing as MacDonald lost his last start think about who we are dealing with. This is the management that used Blake Comeau as #1 center for 3 weeks. This is probably nothing more than Bob and Jay proving to the world how smart they are. Who knows, it may just work.

For the record, I think the Flames should just go with "win and you are in" until a starter emerges.

fallsviewafro*

Yeah, I know none of it matters since its only three games in. I'm itching to see Ramo play though. I'm not too worried about winning games right now.

Maybe he'll Play Bad for Ekblad. Or maybe get A Bad Start for Reinhart?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Yeah, I know none of it matters since its only three games in. I'm itching to see Ramo play though. I'm not too worried about winning games right now.

Maybe he'll Play Bad for Ekblad. Or maybe get A Bad Start for Reinhart?

So this is what's its come to... :shakehead

Le Messie

Jul 8, 2009
His paycheque was required to lure him over to the NHL. Why did we give him a bigger paycheque than Joey Mac to come over to the NHL? So he could start games - Ramo didn't come here to be a backup. If he's not starting games, why did we give him the paycheque?

Exactly, that's what I don't understand. The only reason he came back to the NHL is because he was promised a #1 role. But now he has to fight against a 33 years goaltender who would have trouble being a #2 in any other NHL club.
One ''average'' game and he's already sitting ?

Maybe they want to put some pressure on Ramo ... I don't know.
Don't forget that Ramo was a prospect for the Canadiens ... I thought it would've given him extra motivation to win this game.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Be a Salamander for Nylander?

Genius!

You know, because Salamanders sink to the bottom of the ocean when they eat large quantities of dense and heavy polluting materials, which is a metaphor that can be applied to the Flames and their quest to be in the bottom of the standings so that they have a better chance at selecting Willie Nylander in the 2014 entry draft.

Well done sir, well done!

Hand of Gaudreau

Gaudreaubey Baker
Jul 14, 2008
Edmonton
Exactly, that's what I don't understand. The only reason he came back to the NHL is because he was promised a #1 role. But now he has to fight against a 33 years goaltender who would have trouble being a #2 in any other NHL club.
One ''average'' game and he's already sitting ?

Maybe they want to put some pressure on Ramo ... I don't know.
Don't forget that Ramo was a prospect for the Canadiens ... I thought it would've given him extra motivation to win this game.

False, he was promised an opportunity to compete for the #1 role, which he is not being given right now, a player should never be given something they don't deserve, but FFS at least give him a shot to earn it!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Genius!

You know, because Salamanders sink to the bottom of the ocean when they eat large quantities of dense and heavy polluting materials, which is a metaphor that can be applied to the Flames and their quest to be in the bottom of the standings so that they have a better chance at selecting Willie Nylander in the 2014 entry draft.

Well done sir, well done!

Exactly, it seemed obvious to me! I was hoping someone would understand the inference.

fallsviewafro*

Shart for Reinhart... :laugh:

So this is what's its come to... :shakehead

I have no illusions about being competitive this year, and neither should management. Do you think we'll be anything but a lottery team? Do you think we'll be better off in say, three years, by finishing 3 points out of a playoff spot again this year?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Shart for Reinhart... :laugh:

I have no illusions about being competitive this year, and neither should management. Do you think we'll be anything but a lottery team? Do you think we'll be better off in say, three years, by finishing 3 points out of a playoff spot again this year?

Huh?

Alright calm down Aristotle, I was referring to the ridiculous rhyming slogans being used to hype the 2014 entry draft. I highlighted the words I was replying to?

fallsviewafro*

Oh, thought you were getting mad about people resorting to tanking puns so early in the season.

Carry on :)

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009

It's only game, why you heff to be mad?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad