Holmgren DOESN'T deserve to get fired

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
This sounds very much like a writer taking an unpopular position for the sake of getting hits.

Holmgren got by by the skin of his teeth due to having two compliance buyouts to get rid of the Briere and Bryzgalov contracts. Even without them now we're still a horrible team. Holmgren had lots of initial success with the return Peter Forsberg fetched (a player already on the team he inherited) and the core that was already present on the team he inherited (Richards/Carter/Giroux, etc.).

Now that the former core is gone for the most part and the team is almost completely by Holmgren's design we're finally seeing truly how bad he is at making a roster with synergy. He's gone through several coaches, an entirely different player era, and he's formed a team with a risk in goal, a D filled to the brim with mostly middling defensive D, with a forward group that relies on transition (which our D can't facilitate) and passing yet lacks a finishing touch. When it's all put together we have a team with no synergy from D to forward or even just within the forward group itself. That's all entirely on Holmgren now that the roster is almost completely of his design.

skoods

May 10, 2010
Boston, MA
I completely disagree with so many points in that article.

Patience is a virtue - You commend Holmgren for not going out and getting a replacement for Emery and Boucher in 2010 and allowing Michael Leighton to shoulder the load. Are you kidding me? You really think you're going to get any semblance of support with that suggestion? Then, you suggest he should be commended for not making any moves during the deadline last year. Um, he made no moves and the team missed the playoffs. Now, they're even worse. I can't see how that could be a positive.

Trades - Um, the Pronger trade, in hindsight, is a loss. The Flyers gave up too many picks and prospects. Lupul has turned into a top line winger. Sbisa would be brilliant on the Flyers right now. I'll give you the Nashville and Atlanta trades. But, that was over a half-decade ago. It's time to move on from his moves since then.

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
I completely disagree with so many points in that article.

Patience is a virtue - You commend Holmgren for not going out and getting a replacement for Emery and Boucher in 2010 and allowing Michael Leighton to shoulder the load. Are you kidding me? You really think you're going to get any semblance of support with that suggestion? Then, you suggest he should be commended for not making any moves during the deadline last year. Um, he made no moves and the team missed the playoffs. Now, they're even worse. I can't see how that could be a positive.

Trades - Um, the Pronger trade, in hindsight, is a loss. The Flyers gave up too many picks and prospects. Lupul has turned into a top line winger. Sbisa would be brilliant on the Flyers right now. I'll give you the Nashville and Atlanta trades. But, that was over a half-decade ago. It's time to move on from his moves since then.

Not to mention in the Pronger trade he was basically negotiating against himself.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
"One thing I’ve always commended Paul Holmgren on is his ability to not make irrational decisions in the heat of the moment"

You mean like signing MFL right before free agent season opened for too much or trading for Bryz's rights and signing him to a price no other team would willing to pay anywhere near?

:shakehead

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
The Pronger trade was smart and lead us to a SCF (which more success in the playoffs then we've had in a long time), just got unlucky with injuries. Though his inability to grasp the 35+ rule was embarrassing and baffling.

He has a history of some good trades and most of his major negative ones come in the form of cap dumps that not only shouldn't have been necessary but were just ugly in terms of trade value. Like I said, his problem comes into play in that he has no idea how to form a team with synergy or even with strong direction.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
"One thing I’ve always commended Paul Holmgren on is his ability to not make irrational decisions in the heat of the moment"

You mean like signing MFL right before free agent season opened for too much or trading for Bryz's rights and signing him to a price no other team would willing to pay anywhere near?

:shakehead

To be fair, those weren't "heat of the moment" ideas. Those were calculated, thought out decisions.

Wait, that's even worse.

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
To be fair, those weren't "heat of the moment" ideas. Those were calculated, thought out decisions.

Wait, that's even worse.

Snider told him to get a goalie and his reaction was immediate. MFL is just horrid. Bob trade was more of a knee jerk reaction to Lavy's mishandling.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I was wondering what the Iraqi Minister of Information was doing after that whole invasion thing so many years ago. Good on him to take up a pastime that allows him to use his amazing fact-mutilating skills for our collective amusement.

07-minister.jpg

And incidentally Shawn, it's "scot-free". Scotch is what we consume to forget about the many stellar deals you cited.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I have been a Homer supporter(but will criticize him when he does stupid ****) but he doesn't deserve to be here anymore. Put him back into the scouting area and let him do what he does best, evaluate talent.

I didn't even read the article, which might be rude, but he doesn't deserve to have his job anymore.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
And incidentally Shawn, it's "scot-free". Scotch is what we consume to forget about the many stellar deals you cited.
It's also "calm, cool, and collected", not "calm, cool, and collective".

These "articles" that get posted from time to time are embarrassing. So much misinformation, so little depth of analysis, and way too much effort trying to sound professional. It ends up coming across so amateur-ish.

As for the actual substance-- if you're using MFL as an argument for Holmgren...you're already swimming.

I'm not quite as down on Holmgren as most. I think he had an excellent offseason this year (probably his best yet), and I don't necessarily blame him for our current struggles. The players are 100% responsible here.

That said, Holmgren put together a solid core, but has miserably failed to "synthesize" the team. It just seems like the pieces are haphazardly thrown together, and I'm failing to see the direction we're going in. It's like we've been running around in circles the last few years, and now we've just gotten so dizzy we've fallen on our face.

A new perspective would be welcome for me. We have the pieces to build around; I think a guy like Hextall would be perfect to make the little changes that would make the roster come together as a cohesive unit.

whatthef

Failure is an Option
Mar 1, 2007
Upper Darby
That was hilarious. If that was the best argument that could be put forth why not to fire Homer then I can't think of a better argument for why he should be fired. The most resent example given of a good trade was from 3 years ago. At least try Mason which is looking like his only good trade in the last year or two. And mentioning Leighton as a positive! Even from the first it was obvious he was a pretty crappy goalie. He just happened to play behind a great team and played at the very best level he was capable of for three fourths of the playoffs. Even most die hard fans will tell you we were lucky he didn't implode until the finals. Yet Homer though he showed enough to go into the next season as a starter.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not int he camp that Holmgren HAS to be fired to make this work. I actually think he's doing what everybody wants him to do, sit on the kids and let them work their way onto the team, biggest problem is the team is just so far gone right now and struggling, it looks awful. I mean what if Hextall moves in and then trades Schenn & Couts. Would everybody still love him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad