Holmgren DOESN'T deserve to get fired

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
If we don't want the team to make trades, then we should all stop *****ing about how bad the team is and just watch the games. But none of us want to watch this garbage for the next 3-5 years while we wait for our prospects to start contributing at a high level.

QFT :shakehead

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
so change the station. we paid a price for 2009-2011, and there are no easy quick fixes for our problems, especially with the new CBA.

since 2005, we have like 2 of our actual high percentage (1st and 2nds) directly contributing the team still. giroux and l schenn through jvr. that's really bad. I guess downie too, but he's been traded.

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
So you spend half this post criticizing Homer for being too reactionary, then call for him to do something reactionary.

You missed the entire point of my post.
Namely that he tried to bandaid the defense again, with poor results.
It was more of the same. Insanity rules.

Instead of trying to build the defense first, he continues to upgrade the forwards,
mistakenly thinking they can outscore their opponent to win a cup.
His stubborn devotion to the putrid defense is pathetic.
He needs to take the rose covered glasses off and fix this mess.

I would rather have hope that the defense will improve to become adequate,
rather than wait and hope that one of his defensive picks becomes a player.
Just do not have that much faith in thier ability to spot defensive talent.

Last edited:

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
You missed the entire point of my post.
Namely that he tried to bandaid the defense again, with poor results.
It was more of the same. Insanity rules.

Instead of trying to build the defense first, he continues to upgrade the forwards,
mistakenly thinking they can outscore their opponent to win a cup.
His stubborn devotion to the putrid defense is pathetic.
He needs to take the rose covered glasses off and fix this mess.

I would rather have hope that the defense will improve to become adequate,
rather than wait and hope that one of his defensive picks becomes a player.
Just do not have that much faith in thier ability to spot defensive talent.
how do you propose the defense gets fixed, immediately, without crippling something else?

DecadesofFutility

May 22, 2013
Wilmington, Delaware
how do you propose the defense gets fixed, immediately, without crippling something else?

Of course this plan will cripple the offense.
In fact I expect that to happen, but it is a necessary evil to root out the disease.
Right now the offense is adequate, and the defense is pathetic.
What needs to happen is to focus on defense first, fix it first.

But, defensemen take longer to develop so we need to rebuild the defense now.
Otherwise, the forwards will be 30 or older by the time the defense is solidified.
If they can improve the defense through trades, then they can focus on drafting
some forwards to improve offensively.
Since, we know for a fact that the Flyers can draft offensive talent.

Just to continue to sign older slower defensemen and expect any defensive improvement is insanity.
I would rather endure deadful offense than putrid defense, but thats me.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
we have some nice spects in Morin,Hagg,Gostisbehere,Alt add to add Gus andd maybe Luke if he can work on his speed, it's time to Hit a home run and try to land someone like Ekblad

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Of course this plan will cripple the offense.
In fact I expect that to happen, but it is a necessary evil to root out the disease.
Right now the offense is adequate, and the defense is pathetic.
What needs to happen is to focus on defense first, fix it first.

But, defensemen take longer to develop so we need to rebuild the defense now.
Otherwise, the forwards will be 30 or older by the time the defense is solidified.
If they can improve the defense through trades, then they can focus on drafting
some forwards to improve offensively.
Since, we know for a fact that the Flyers can draft offensive talent.

Just to continue to sign older slower defensemen and expect any defensive improvement is insanity.
I would rather endure deadful offense than putrid defense, but thats me.
I don't see anyone trading the type of defensemen we need. at all. seriously....except when another young defenseman is involved.

jack johnson is like the only guy in the last few years.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
if Ekblad is still there when nOilers pick i would move Schenn/1st+Coburn+2nd without hesitation for Oilers pick

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Is Ekblad even that good?

He's a product of a terrible draft class & the fact that he gained exceptional status a few years ago in juniors (mostly because he was a man child since his preteens & wasn't being physically challenged by kids his age than his skill at that time).

He'll likely be a good defender in this league but not the franchise defender many people around hope for him to be.

The Flyers would be better off not sinking a ton of assets we don't really have when we could likely end up with a defensemen like Fleury or McKeown who have may have more upside but may not be a safe pick like Ekblad.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Holmgren's possible last hurrah.....

The looming 16-day Olympic break next month has essentially created an additional, artificial deadline for the league's 30 top executives to tinker with their rosters. The Olympic break also happens to occur in a season in which the salary cap has decreased for the first time ever, thanks to last season's 113-day lockout.

"It's obviously different than in years past," Holmgren said yesterday. "You don't get a real deadline to work with. We play six games before the Olympics, and then we come back and only have another [three] games to make a move.

"Right now, it's getting to the point where we need to see what we have, see what's out there and make a move if we're going to do it."

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...deal_to_improve_team.html#dGiokfalgfwVXwog.99

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not, because there just isn't anything out there, there is almost no cap space, so any move would have to be equal money, which makes it harder to do. Everybody is in LTIR, again, makes things so much more complicated. And nobody wants to trade young players + picks, so they only want to pawn off old vets making too much, which are players Holmgren isn't going to be interested in.

There are 3 major strikes there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad