Movies: Hollywood sexual harassment ( Russell Brand facing multiple allegations)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I was mostly with you until that. Being critical of the elite is one thing, encouraging bullshit artists to spread their uninformed crap is another.

Guys like Carlson and Peterson have no interest in informing anyone of anything, they are in this game for the money. They exploit the naivety of people who have very justified doubts/anger and turn them into paranoid conspiracy theorist.

So, in a nutshell, yes to critical thinking, no to fear-mongering and lie-spreading.

I think a lot of people have difficulty distinguishing between truth telling and telling people exactly what they want to hear.

They are being preyed on by an entire class of amateur philosophers and con people.

The solution to waning institutions is better institutions. Part of the reason why trust in them is failing is because they are accountable, to the public and for their mistakes.

This emerging class of “truth seekers” are accountable to no one and can pretty much say whatever they like because anyone who finds fault with what they are saying are simply “sheeple” who are “corrupted by mainstream thinking”.

I’m sure there are honest people out there with genuine voices of dissent but they are largely invisible against the wall of loud disinformation peddled by pedagogues who are in it for the fame, the clicks and the cash.
I'm tempted to sticky these posts because they're so well-stated.

Pretty sad, isn't it? "Truth" is no longer a goal. It's become a Google keyword.

The other term that's been hijacked is "Critical thinking". Actual critical thinking has absolutely nothing to do with being suspicious of authority. I can't believe how many people call themselves 'critical thinkers' while having no idea what it really means.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
These are nothing but allegations, he hasn't been charged with anything and the people accusing him of wrongdoing never even went to the authorities with these accusations

These rumours were around while he was a left wing darling working for the likes of the BBC but it's only after his political transformation that the likes of the sun and channel 4 decided they were interested in his potential wrongdoing

Combine that with the British Government going full authoritarian and trying to get social media companies to stop paying him, a person who hasn't even been charged with anything mind due and it's hardly surprising people are starting to wonder what the hell is going on

He's innocent until proven guilty, as of now he isn't even charged with a crime so the politics can get ****** and so can the British Government and the company's that complied with there request

I agree with you with respect to the government’s over-reach.

I’m less inclined to disbelieve the allegations because of when and how they emerged.

There are so many disincentives to come forward as a victim that it doesn’t surprise me that circumstances may have to change for them to come to light.

I agree that we don’t know one way or another with respect to these specific charges and I do strongly believe in the presumption of innocence.

Most of the commentary has been on the nature of some of these podcasts, Russell Brand included.

The government is actually playing into his hands in terms of creating a narrative where anything he does is simply the creation of a frightened establishment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Primary Assist

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Guys like Carlson and Peterson have no interest in informing anyone of anything, they are in this game for the money. They exploit the naivety of people who have very justified doubts/anger and turn them into paranoid conspiracy theorist.
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't lump those two together; while Carlson is a total right wing populist, I think Peterson at least appears to believe what he's saying and has some passion and emotion in him... and he is a scientist... Although seeing him recently with his cringy 'Don Cherry costumes' makes me think whether he's decided to go totally show business now. Still, it's hard to disagree with him on quite a few things he says, however (for want of a better word) hysterical and boringly presented they sometimes might feel.

Reactions: Voight

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't lump those two together; while Carlson is a total right wing populist, I think Peterson at least appears to believe what he's saying and has some passion and emotion in him... and he is a scientist... Although seeing him recently with his cringy 'Don Cherry costumes' makes me think whether he's decided to go totally show business now. Still, it's hard to disagree with him on quite a few things he says, however (for want of a better word) hysterical and boringly presented they sometimes might feel.

Jordan Peterson was well-respected in his field and his seminal work, Maps of Meaning, was generally well-received as a thought-provoking work.

It's when he started riffing awkwardly about all manner of issues and people were still interpreting him as an expert in those areas that my opinion began to sour.

It's not surprising who he's ended up in bed with, considering the alternative where he is basically a pariah in academic circles.

It reminds me a bit of Elon Musk, who is undoubtedly a paradigm-shifting entrepreneur and a genius in specific lanes, only to venture into issue areas where his skill set and experience are not an asset and he comes across as a complete amateur.

His shameless confidence in himself that undoubtedly led him to challenge the status quo in battery technology, space travel and car manufacturing is actually a bit of a hindrance when he blunders about in fields he doesn't understand but can't be convinced otherwise.

Last edited:

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

NyQuil explained it better than I would have, but Peterson uses his credibility as a scientist to be able to push his bullshit. He is no better than a guy like Tucker Carlson in my book. Is he buying what he is selling? To a degree, they all do, I think. However, they go overboard for profit and I think it is disgusting.

Jordan Peterson was well-respected in his field and his seminal work, Maps of Meaning, was generally well-received as a thought-provoking work.

It's when he started riffing awkwardly about all manner of issues and people were still interpreting him as an expert in those areas that my opinion began to sour.

It's not surprising who he's ended up in bed with, considering the alternative where he is basically a pariah in academic circles.

It reminds me a bit of Elon Musk, who is undoubtedly a paradigm-shifting entrepreneur and a genius in specific lanes, only to venture into issue areas where his skill set and experience are not an asset and he comes across as a complete amateur.

His shameless confidence in himself that undoubtedly led him to challenge the status quo in battery technology, space travel and car manufacturing is actually a bit of a hindrance when he blunders about in fields he doesn't understand but can't be convinced otherwise.
Musk is a very different animal. I think he is an egomaniac who is being into his own hype and is being manipulated by people more strategic than he is.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
NyQuil explained it better than I would have, but Peterson uses his credibility as a scientist to be able to push his bullshit. He is no better than a guy like Tucker Carlson in my book. Is he buying what he is selling? To a degree, they all do, I think. However, they go overboard for profit and I think it is disgusting.

Musk is a very different animal. I think he is an egomaniac who is being into his own hype and is being manipulated by people more strategic than he is.
I like Peterson's use of allegory in his Biblical Series which attempts to relate and provide meaning for fundamental human experiences. His career as a psychotherapist gives a unique background to that and as someone who grew up Catholic and is now much less religious, that content was always nice to hear. It feels like an updated use of religion in the modern world where you don't have to follow the religion to appreciate the deep psychological roots as well as to see how it all can still be relevant to your life in 2023.

His videos on climate change, COVID, motivation, Russia, etc...are an instant skip for me however since he's not in his lane. THAT is where Peterson and guys like him lose me because it's clear they're capitalizing on that "unmotivated young man" market. Brand is apparently down the same path. He has a worthwhile clip to listen to on how the Western World has become victim to hyper-optimized capitalization, a military industrial institution, and how we're losing our sense of spirituality. All things I agree with and I appreciate the "ex-sex and drug addicted celebrity" persepctive. Then he takes that internet appeal and leverages it into a hundred hours of content he has no business discussing.

Sam Harris is the only one who i'll consistently listen to as I've always respected his viewpoints.

TLDR: If Brand did sexually assault 3 women I hope he gets the proper punishment

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Well, he's certainly not the person I listen to when it comes to issues like climate change. And his constant interpretations of the Bible (stories) send me to sleep personally. But I can't deny that seeing him expose the double-standards and downright hollow arguments on the far left has given me some joy over the years; I'm talking about race hustlers, woke people, trans activists, whatever.

Walsh, Shapiro, Rubin, Knowles, Megyn Kelly (who's certainly not in the Russell Brand camp) and so forth... sometimes I nod in agreement w/ these conservatives, sometimes I shake my head. But it feels like one almost has to choose sides nowadays.

Last edited:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Walsh, Shapiro, Rubin, Knowles, Megyn Kelly (who's certainly not in the Russell Brand camp) and so forth... sometimes I nod in agreement w/ these conservatives, sometimes I shake my head. But it feels like one almost has to choose sides nowadays.
That's one of the biggest issues – the pressure to choose between vastly opposing sides. We've been pandering to Google algorithms for so long we've begun to think like them, using reductive words (Truth, Lies, Good, Corrupt) over nuance. Russell Brand and his ilk are social media parasites because they profit from anger and mistrust.

Hockey 4 everyone

Sep 29, 2017
Yup yup.

Just playing the Devil's advocate a little bit. A lot of wackos both on the left and the right as far as I'm concerned.

It's fairly hard to see Brand bounce back from this, even if he is not criminally convicted (or even charged). Kevin Spacey (100 times bigger talent) was acquitted, but is there much future for him either? Since I'm not a RB fan, I don't care that much, but at the same time a little voice in my head asks; if it happened to turn out that his biggest sin was being a 'promiscuous' jerk who banged a 16-year old, is it all fair? Idk.
are you suggesting that banging a 16 year old as a 30-40 year old man is a fairly mild transgression?

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
are you suggesting that banging a 16 year old as a 30-40 year old man is a fairly mild transgression?
A question of morals, since from my understanding, that's not illegal in the UK.

I'd like to think that I wouldn't have done it myself. So I feel some level of disgust, but if I was a sex/drug addict and some hot 16-year old girl fancied me, I can see myself in theory unable to resist the temptation. And then I'd probably be very ashamed afterwards.

I also very much like to think that I wouldn't have become a nazi in the 1930s Germany. But who the hell can say for sure?

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
A question of morals, since from my understanding, that's not illegal in the UK.

I'd like to think that I wouldn't have done it myself. So I feel some level of disgust, but if I was a sex/drug addict and some hot 16-year old girl fancied me, I can see myself in theory unable to resist the temptation. And then I'd probably be very ashamed afterwards.

I also very much like to think that I wouldn't have become a nazi in the 1930s Germany. But who the hell can say for sure?
I really, really hope youre not over the age of 18 because that is a very unsettling comment if you are. If any man in their 30s or 40s thinks 15 or 16 year old girls are 'hot', then they need some therapy to figure out why.

Physically, they still look like kids and mentally- theyre still kids. I understand hard drugs make you lose yourself when high, but what man in his 30s or 40s is actively going to parties with underage girls?

Im 35, and can't stand being around drunk girls who are in their early 20s let alone teenagers. A grown man needs to do some serious self reflection if he's actively going to parties that 15 and 16 year olds are present. If I entered a party with a bunch of grown men doing hard drugs and there were underage girls there, I'm noping the f*** out and calling the cops. No remorse.

Those KIDS need protection from guys like that. Maybe that sounds strange to people from foreign countries whose culture normalized that sort of stuff, but when you take a step back from what's been normalized by certain cultures, you'll see how sickening it is that grown men get involved with young girls.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
I really, really hope youre not over the age of 18 because that is a very unsettling comment if you are. If any man in their 30s or 40s thinks 15 or 16 year old girls are 'hot', then they need some therapy to figure out why.

Physically, they still look like kids and mentally- theyre still kids. I understand hard drugs make you lose yourself when high, but what man in his 30s or 40s is actively going to parties with underage girls?

Im 35, and can't stand being around drunk girls who are in their early 20s let alone teenagers. A grown man needs to do some serious self reflection if he's actively going to parties that 15 and 16 year olds are present. If I entered a party with a bunch of grown men doing hard drugs and there were underage girls there, I'm noping the f*** out and calling the cops. No remorse.

Those KIDS need protection from guys like that. Maybe that sounds strange to people from foreign countries whose culture normalized that sort of stuff, but when you take a step back from what's been normalized by certain cultures, you'll see how sickening it is that grown men get involved with young girls.
Just because you have this certain world view ( I agree with you by the way) doesn’t mean everyone else will.

There’s a reason the adult industry is geared towards women as young as legally possible

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland

Settle the **** down.

I don't associate with 16-year old girls or younger, and didn't do so in my 20s/30s either, and I've never had any pedophilic tendencies (thank god). I probably need therapy, but not because of such issues, lol.

However, moral superiority makes me cringe sometimes, and unless you've been in someone's shoes, you can't be sure how you would act/react in every situation. Of course, some people are sick a-holes, plain and simple, and there is no need to try to 'understand' them. Maybe RB is one of those, I don't know.

I'm fairly certain there are numerous adults even here who have considered someone around 16 'attractive' (I guess you resented the word 'hot'), especially if not knowing her age. For example, how old were some of the so called super models when they started to appear scantily clad in photos? Not saying it's right, but I think you could be excused if you can't help feeling that someone like that is hot (!).

I don't know any details about Russell Brand's case, e.g. how much he used his celebrity status to lure or even pressure his, er, girlfriends (=like "sleep with me and I'll make you a star"?), or if the alleged 16-year old has been seriously traumatized due to that affair. It's fairly obvious Brand is/was a scumbag, but the jury is still out for me whether he should be totally cancelled out of public life (although I rather wish he cancelled himself and concentrated on his family life or something).

Last edited:
Reactions: I am not exposed

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
Settle the **** down.

I don't associate with 16-year old girls or younger, and didn't do so in my 20s/30s either, and I've never had any pedophilic tendencies (thank god). I probably need therapy, but not because of such issues, lol.

However, moral superiority makes me cringe sometimes, and unless you've been in someone's shoes, you can't be sure how you would act/react in every situation. Of course, some people are sick a-holes, plain and simple, and there is need to try to 'understand' them. Maybe RB is one of those, I don't know.

I'm fairly certain there are numerous adults even here who have considered someone around 16 'attractive' (I guess you resented the word 'hot'), especially if not knowing her age. For example, how old were some of the so called super models when they started to appear scantily clad in photos? Not saying it's right, but I think you could be excused if you can't help feeling that someone like that is hot (!).

I don't know any details about Russell Brand's case, e.g. how much he used his celebrity status to lure or even pressure his, er, girlfriends (=like "sleep with me and I'll make you a star"?), or if the alleged 16-year old has been seriously traumatized due to that affair. It's fairly obvious Brand is/was a scumbag, but the jury is still out for me whether he should be totally cancelled out of public life (although I rather wish he cancelled himself and concentrated on his family life or something).
Settle the **** down.

However, moral superiority makes me cringe sometimes, and unless you've been in someone's shoes, you can't be sure how you would act/react in every situation. Of course, some people are sick a-holes, plain and simple, and there is need to try to 'understand' them. Maybe RB is one of those, I don't know.

Why exactly should I try and understand a sick asshole??

Reactions: Mario_is_BACK!!

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Settle the **** down.

I think you need to stop trying to look tolerant and actually read the investigation: https://archive.ph/NwmVQ

Let's leave aside the fact that dozens of adult women were literally throwing themselves at him for years and consider this:

A second woman alleges that Brand assaulted her when he was 31 and she was 16 and still at school. She said he referred to her as “the child” during an emotionally abusive and controlling relationship that lasted for about three months, and that Brand once “forced his penis down her throat”, making her choke. She says she tried to push him off and said she had to punch him in the stomach to make him stop.

As her taxi approached Russell Brand’s home, Alice remembers the driver begging her not to go inside. Recognising the destination, he had started to ask questions. Alice admitted she was 16 and still in school.
She says the driver replied that his daughter was the same age and entreated Alice: “Please, I’m asking you not to go in there, you could be my little girl, and I would want someone to do this for her.” He offered to take her home without charge, but Alice insisted she was fine. “He had just such a sad look in his eyes,” she recalls.

Alice, whose name we have changed to protect her identity, now realises that she wasn’t fine. During a relationship that lasted for about three months when Brand was a BBC radio presenter, she says that he referred to her as “the child” and alleges that he became increasingly controlling, and then emotionally and sexually abusive.

Brand, then 30, sent a car to her secondary school to take her out of lessons and to his home, she says, and asked her to save his name in her phone as “Carly” to deceive her parents. Brand’s management knew that he had a teenage girlfriend and advised him not to be seen with her in public, she says. Alice alleges that Brand once forced his penis down her throat, making her choke, and that after trying to push him off he only stopped after she hit him in the stomach. She says she was visibly upset after the incident.

Brand made his name in comedy in the early 2000s — and also achieved the status of London’s most lascivious lothario. After he gave up drugs in 2002, Brand filled that void with sex. In 2005, he received treatment for sex addiction at a clinic in the US. His womanising ways — he once said he could sleep with 80 women in a month — saw him crowned “Shagger of the Year” by The Sun three times, have relationships with some of the world’s most beautiful women including Kate Moss, and marry the pop star Katy Perry in 2010 (they divorced in 2012).

When Alice met Brand in 2006, he was becoming a household name as the host of Channel 4’s Big Brother’s Big Mouth and a BBC radio presenter; she was 16, recovering from an eating disorder and had never had a boyfriend.

Brand asked her to dinner and she later told her mother, who made Alice text Brand to tell him her age, assuming it would put him off. It didn’t. Alice’s mother was very upset but did not feel she could control who her daughter met.

“I remember wearing a red wiggle dress and big platform shoes and had my hair blown out and was wearing makeup,” Alice now remembers. “But I didn’t look like a woman by any means. I was a child that had got dressed up for dinner.” On their first date, she claims Brand asked her as soon as they met to confirm she was definitely 16, saying: “I don’t give a f*** if you’re 12 . . . I need to know where I stand legally.”
During the earliest stages of their relationship, Alice says Brand was “very charming and very attentive”, sending her “verbose” messages. She remembers feeling “giddy” and “special”.

Before the first time they had sex, Alice says she told him she was a virgin and claims he was instantly aroused. “He was like, ‘Oh my God, my baby, my baby’, and picked me up and cradled me in his arms like a child and was stroking my hair. He’s like, ‘You’re like my little dolly.’” She says he became “preoccupied” with her being innocent and pure.

She claims that there was a large mirror on the wall and she remembers during sex he raised his arm above his head “like this power stance, like he was conquering something”.

Over the following weeks, Brand referred to her as “the child”, asked her to read Vladimir Nabokov’s Lolita and coached her on what to say to her parents when he wanted to see her, Alice says. Although Alice was over the age of consent in the UK, she and a family member who has also spoken to The Sunday Times to corroborate her story both describe Brand’s behaviour as “grooming”. Alice says he suggested how she could deceive her parents into allowing her to visit him, and claims that he gave her “scripts” on how to lie to them. She also alleges that he told her not to trust her friends and that they would “all be looking to make money from it” if she revealed she was seeing him. “It was isolating,” she said.

“Russell engaged in the behaviours of a groomer, looking back, but I didn’t even know what that was then, or what that looked like,” she says. Alice recalls that Brand told her never to send him sexual images, and she believed this was because of her age.

Alice accuses Brand of being controlling. She says that he once ran a bath for her and demanded that she stay in it while he went out for about an hour. Another time, Alice alleges that Brand removed the condom during sex without her knowing.

When he invited her over on his 31st birthday, Alice’s mother insisted on driving her, to emphasise to him that this was a girl with loving parents. When Alice’s mother went to meet Brand on the doorstep, Alice says that he blocked the door and “leant down and kissed my mother on the mouth”. She says that afterwards her mother was “very, very upset” at Brand’s behaviour and pleaded with Alice to come home with her, but Alice chose to stay.

Towards the end of the relationship, Alice says that Brand sexually assaulted her. She says: “I was sat up in the bed up against the headboard, and he forced his penis down my throat and I couldn’t breathe. It was just choking me and I couldn’t breathe, and I was pushing him away and he wasn’t backing off at all.”

She says: “I ended up having to punch him really hard in the stomach to get him off. I was crying and he said, ‘Oh I only wanted to see your mascara run anyway.’ Then I knew at that point that he didn’t care about hurting me physically or emotionally . . . It shouldn’t take you having to punch someone and to wind them to get them off you. It shouldn’t be a physical fight.”

As Alice lay on one side of the bed after the attack, she alleges that he climbed on top of her, held open her mouth and drooled into it. “I was gagging and trying to fight him off me, but he’s lying on top of me, so I can’t,” she alleges. “My limbs are trapped underneath him and I just thought, ‘Why are you doing this? It can’t even be any sexual gratification in this.’ And then he held my mouth shut and made me swallow it and so I was just gagging and crying.”

The relationship ended when Brand invited her over one day, and she arrived to find another woman in his bed. “I was so angry, and I said to him, ‘Why would you do this to me? This is so humiliating.’”
Alice has decided to speak out because she now believes that she was too young to be able to consent to a relationship with an adult man, and that the law should be changed to protect those under 18. “My mum still feels like she failed me in some way in allowing this to happen, but she had no recourse at all,” she says. “It shouldn’t be legal for a 16-year-old to have a relationship with a man in their thirties. There should be something in place to protect children.”

She also wants the entertainment industry to change. For many years, Brand has been applauded for his jokes describing how he has manipulated women for sex.

“I think he was very skilful in the start of making his identity be, ‘I’m the womaniser. I’m a sex addict. I’m inappropriate but it’s all just a joke, it’s funny’,” Alice claims, “It’s a smokescreen for a lot more of his dark behaviour.”
I'm sure you'll say "they're allegations" or "you don't know what you'd do in that situation" or "lol" but if you are a 30 year old man and you turn up to meet your friends with your new 16 year old girlfriend in tow then you would absolutely be shunned. Get a grip.

Reactions: Bocephus86

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Settle the **** down.

There's no justifying a 30-40 year old going to parties with 15-16 year olds, doing hard drugs, and sleeping with them. None. Zippo. And yes, they need to be locked up and given hard therapy.

I'm not commenting on the Brand situation because I don't know the deets. I'll let the courts sort that out, but Im also not going to be sympathetic to 30-40 year olds gettint caught with minors.

That's it. That's my point. If that's me playing 'morale superiority', then so be it, but then the bar is so low a midget couldn't limbo it.

VMBM

Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
I'm sure you'll say "they're allegations" or "you don't know what you'd do in that situation" or "lol" but if you are a 30 year old man and you turn up to meet your friends with your new 16 year old girlfriend in tow then you would absolutely be shunned. Get a grip.
No, I'll just say have a nice day. You're mixing me up with someone who gives a damn about your 'advices'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad