Movies: Hollywood sexual harassment ( Russell Brand facing multiple allegations)

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
A lot of posters here have trouble with this unfortunately. Impossible to even try to have an adult conversation with them.
Adult conversation? In your case, you have quite a few near identical posts over many months about the Danny Masterson trials and sentencing where you've claimed you're not following it closely but you want to see what "physical evidence" there is as your way of downplaying the allegations. You're not looking for a conversation when you pretend you're not following something closely yet have a repeated taking point you use to attack the prosecution.

KallioWeHardlyKnewYe

Hey! We won!
May 30, 2003
If you're skeptical about sexual assaults and sexual harassment I encourage you talk to the women in your life about their experiences.

It's easy to write off a complete stranger as a gold digger or vengeful woman or even simply confused.

But you might change your mind if it's someone you know and you hear what happened to them and why they were reluctant to report it to the police.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
If you're skeptical about sexual assaults and sexual harassment I encourage you talk to the women in your life about their experiences.

It's easy to write off a complete stranger as a gold digger or vengeful woman or even simply confused.

But you might change your mind if it's someone you know and you hear what happened to them and why they were reluctant to report it to the police.
A lot of men clearly fail at being able to put themselves in the position of women and recognize the different social difficulties/pressures that are placed on them.

People in general just really fail to see situations from a different perspective...

Lost count of how many "well why didn't the players just say no?" comments I've read this past week about the Babcock stuff...

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Adult conversation? In your case, you have quite a few near identical posts over many months about the Danny Masterson trials and sentencing where you've claimed you're not following it closely but you want to see what "physical evidence" there is as your way of downplaying the allegations. You're not looking for a conversation when you pretend you're not following something closely yet have a repeated taking point you use to attack the prosecution.
Thank you for proving my point :rolleyes:

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Russell Brand is like the Scott Stevens of the hypersexualized cad world. Both thrived in an era where their actions were tolerated and even celebrated, but looking back it's pretty obvious how harmful they are. Plus I wouldn't recommend an underage girl get in a limousine with either one of them

Dec 29, 2004

A lot of men clearly fail at being able to put themselves in the position of women and recognize the different social difficulties/pressures that are placed on them.

People in general just really fail to see situations from a different perspective...

Lost count of how many "well why didn't the players just say no?" comments I've read this past week about the Babcock stuff...
Heh.

Unfortunately, not all women are paragons of virtue. It's been my experience that they also engage in their fair share of sexual assault and sexual harassment. My experiences have ranged from overly touchy-feely unwanted attention to flat out not taking 'no' for an answer. I have had women become quite angry and a bit violent when I had the audacity to say 'no'. I once had to physically fend one off... I am not an anomaly either.

If you are going to be preachy, come back when you have experience...

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Heh.

Unfortunately, not all women are paragons of virtue. It's been my experience that they also engage in their fair share of sexual assault and sexual harassment. My experiences have ranged from overly touchy-feely unwanted attention to flat out not taking 'no' for an answer. I have had women become quite angry and a bit violent when I had the audacity to say 'no'. I once had to physically fend one off... I am not an anomaly either.

So you agree with them in that there are reasons sexual assaults don't get reported to police and that even if you say "no", you risk the person becoming sexually violent?

Reactions: insomniac

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I don't think it suggests that at all as I certainly wouldn't be defending him if multiple women were accusing him of rape. Pretty ridiculous assumption to make.
If you're making an issue of it now, when it's only a hypothetical situation, it seems like a safe assumption that you'd take issue with it if it were to actually happen. That's what I meant.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Heh.

When did I ever say women cant be sexual predators as well lol? Simply saying being a women/man in these situations can be different experiences (not the sexual assault part, but how safe you feel, ability to defend ones self, odds of reporting it to the police etc).

Dec 29, 2004
So you agree with them in that there are reasons sexual assaults don't get reported to police and that even if you say "no", you risk the person becoming sexually violent?
Half way... because they only seem to see one side of the equation.

You know how women like to belittle the male ego? Damage a woman's ego one time and see how that turns out.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Allegations aside, I'm not quite sure where the hate for Brand comes from

Sure, he's not at all funny, but he's an incredibly bright and articulate fella who has spent the last few years shining a spotlight on the corruption within our current system
Nah. He's just a dumbass.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Russell Brand is like the Scott Stevens of the hypersexualized cad world. Both thrived in an era where their actions were tolerated and even celebrated, but looking back it's pretty obvious how harmful they are. Plus I wouldn't recommend an underage girl get in a limousine with either one of them
Wait. Why wouldn't you trust Stevens with an underage girl?

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Wait. Why wouldn't you trust Stevens with an underage girl?
From the History of Hockey section:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
In short, I always knew he was a wrong'un. Oh - and he is absolutely not intelligent or articulate. He's like Jordan Peterson, he uses big words and deliberately mispronounces them to make himself seem more mysterious and cultured than he is. This was literally part of his standup act from twenty years ago. He's an idiot's idea of what a smart person sounds like.
Ahem. Meaning of 'baroque' used by Russell Brand in denial video

Under-fire comedian Russell Brand has left many people scratching their heads after using an unusual word in his denial of "serious criminal charges" expected to be alleged about him. The controversial and erudite comic said the accusations were "baroque", among other things.

In a curious use of the term, Brand said the “very serious allegations” came amid “a litany of astonishing, rather baroque attacks”, such as against his channel. He said he was made aware of them after being contacted by a TV show - understood to be Channel 4's Dispatches, which airs tonight (Saturday, September 16) - and a national newspaper.

Baroque is defined by Oxford Languages as relating to or denoting a style of European architecture, music, and art of the 17th and 18th centuries that followed Mannerism and is characterized by ornate detail. In architecture the period is exemplified by the palace of Versailles and by the work of Wren in England. Major composers include Vivaldi, Bach, and Handel; Caravaggio and Rubens are important baroque artists."

Tangentially, in relation to this style it can also simply mean being very ornate or extravagant, overly complicated, which is obviously Brand's allusion.
A man who can't speak talking to an audience who can't read.

Reactions: Holden Caulfield

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
If you're making an issue of it now, when it's only a hypothetical situation, it seems like a safe assumption that you'd take issue with it if it were to actually happen. That's what I meant.
You make no sense. Like I said, that's a ridiculous assumption to make. I have next to no feelings towards Colbert and simply used him as an example because the right loves to hate on him. If you don't think the right is hypocritical when it comes to this kind of thing then you're simply not paying attention. Just go read the Alec Baldwin thread for proof. Now keep on deflecting.

• Love
Reactions: Holden Caulfield

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
So is it better to wait for 10—20 years and then tell the story to the media? I know that it's very easy for me to say and blah blah, but no matter how difficult or even futile it might feel, the right thing to do is to go to the police straight away and report it. At least that way there is a chance that strong evidence exists, the accused person will get convicted, and possibly there will be no future victims.

BTW, was Russell Brand even rich and famous 15—20 years ago? The first time I remember seeing him anywhere was in the six-part Monty Python documentary in the early 2010s which he almost single-handedly managed to ruin for me by being so annoying. My ignorance probably.
He was famous 15 years ago. Hosted the MTV Music Awards in 2008 and 2009. Had a major role in the comedy Forgetting Sarah Marshall in 2007 and was the main actor in Get Him to the Greek. Those are just a few things that come to mind.

Oh and he hosted SNL in 2011. And the musical guest for that show just happened to be Chris Brown. Oof, double whammy right there. I can't believe Chris Brown's career hasn't been destroyed for beating the crap out of women.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
You make no sense. Like I said, that's a ridiculous assumption to make. I have next to no feelings towards Colbert and simply used him as an example because the right loves to hate on him. If you don't think the right is hypocritical when it comes to this kind of thing then you're simply not paying attention. Just go read the Alec Baldwin thread for proof. Now keep on deflecting.
My point is that you're accusing people of acting political and one side of hypocrisy when you're the one politicizing the discussion. As far as I'm aware, Masterson and Brand don't have a known affiliation with either side. People who are "defending" them don't appear to be doing it because of politics. Trying to make this about politics seems like a reach.

Reactions: I am not exposed

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
My point is that you're accusing people of acting political and one side of hypocrisy when you're the one politicizing the discussion. As far as I'm aware, Masterson and Brand don't have a known affiliation with either side. People who are "defending" them don't appear to be doing it because of politics. Trying to make this about politics seems like a reach.
I get what you're saying now and I'm sure some aren't doing it because of politics. There's at least a few who are though, it's not hard to figure out when you've seen them post on here for years.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Masterson and Brand don't have a known affiliation with either side. People who are "defending" them don't appear to be doing it because of politics. Trying to make this about politics seems like a reach.
Don't know much about Masterson, but I think Brand has been a bit of a 'darling' lately among people who consider the mainstream media and the (US) government being leftist/woke. There are e.g. a number of YT videos where Brand is supposedly "destroying" people who are seen to be part of the establishment or whatever. Commentators like Ben Shapiro, Dave Rubin, Matt Walsh and that bozo (just my opinion!) Tucker Carlson have been fairly vocal during recent days about the case and have casted doubts about the authenticity of the accusations. Which is fair enough also, I guess. :dunno:

It doesn't mean that Brand is right wing himself; I don't know what he is exactly.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Don't know much about Masterson, but I think Brand has been a bit of a 'darling' lately among people who consider the mainstream media and the (US) government being leftist/woke. There are e.g. a number of YT videos where Brand is supposedly "destroying" people who are seen to be part of the establishment or whatever. Commentators like Ben Shapiro, Dave Rubin, Matt Walsh and that bozo (just my opinion!) Tucker Carlson have been fairly vocal during recent days about the case and have casted doubts about the authenticity of the accusations. Which is fair enough also, I guess. :dunno:

It doesn't mean that Brand is right wing himself; I don't know what he is exactly.
Brand is a conspiracy theorist. That doesn't necessarily neatly track to American partisanship in and of itself, but the issues he's talking about a lot recently do track pretty well to the views of a rather large faction of a major American political party (as well as a British political movement that is technically cross-party but identified largely with one of the major parties), and the people who are making a big deal out of defending him tend to affiliate with said major parties.

Basically, there absolutely is a partisan component to the defense of Brand, and there may be a partisan component to people who are experiencing a degree of schadenfreude towards Brand.

Dec 29, 2004
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad