Confirmed with Link: Holland to Arizona for conditional pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
It was his own fault he was in that situation in the first place. Waiving Colborne in favour of Orr and McLaren is still a monumentally stupid move, also I didn't agree with replacing Grabovski with Bolland but that's another issue which honestly doesn't matter anymore.

Clever would be the last word I'd use to describe that trade. I'd say calling it a "desperation trade" is a better way to describe it. And Carlyle didn't help matters playing him sub-10 minutes a game and eventually making that 3rd a 2nd. Yeah, great work Randy.

For an early season trade given the situation it was clever, sure Nonis put himself in a bad spot. Had they not played Holland so much that particular trade would have been fine.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Trading for him in the first place was a doozy. We had a bunch of centers injured but I dont see why you give up a 2nd and more for short term relief at C. Thank god nonis is done

Bozak was their #1C at the time. Holland had scored 60pts in 72 games as a 20 year old in Syracuse. With his size there was a lot of potential there.

It made some sense as they wanted other C options and nobody is trading you a 22 year old proven NHLer for a 2nd. Their recent #2s had been Percy, Blacker, Ryan, Finn and Hayes so they had to be considering #30m+ as not working that well for them. Not a good deal in hindsight but building a team around picks after the 40th is an iffy way to build as well. I wish him well.

Super Mega

Jun 29, 2013
I didn't mind the move, to acquire Holland. It was obvious bandaid fix but rather than getting a vet they pulled in a guy who showed some potential.

I guess most the people on HFboards knew he wouldn't work out... :laugh:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
like the guy and i'm sure he'll go on to become a 30-40pt winger a la colborne.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The Ducks took 6'4" 168lbs defenseman Marcus Pettersson with the 2nd round, 38th overall pick they got from us in the Holland trade. Anyone know anything about him?

Other players we could have drafted had we kept the pick or if it had remained a 3rd rounder(thanks Randy...) include:

Brandon Montour(D) - 55th overall by Anaheim
Christian Dvorak(LW) - 58th overall by Arizona
Nikita Tryamkin(D) - 66th overall by Vancouver

Ilya Sorokin(G) was also taken 78th overall by the Islanders after we drafted Valiev at 68th with our 3rd rounder

I'm now very upset!
Sorokin looks to be a stud!

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
I didn't mind the move, to acquire Holland. It was obvious bandaid fix but rather than getting a vet they pulled in a guy who showed some potential.

I guess most the people on HFboards knew he wouldn't work out... :laugh:

Which was because dumbass Nonis waived another NHL calibre C in Colborne for Frazer ****ing McLaren and Colton ****ing Orr.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
As a player, it's not that Holland lacks the talent to play in the NHL. He's probably a better player than a few guys on our roster, including Smith who beat him out for that #4 centre spot. He just doesn't excel at any one area and he doesn't possess the high-end skill that would allow him to get away with his more cerebral style of game. It is one reason why I was never particularly enamored with him as a prospect, having watched quite a few Guelph Storm games during his tenure there, and was no fan of the deal to bring him here. Another Nonis gem.:help: Unless he finds that niche, which is certainly possible ("Johnny Malkin" Mitchell did after leaving the Leafs), I can't see him sticking long-term in the NHL. Nonetheless, I wish him the best of luck. He's a class act and a local kid. You always want to see guys like that do well.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Why do you care so much about dime a dozen players?

There's plenty of players that can do the things Holland and Griffith do. Seriously, no one will even notice they're gone (except for you apparently).

It's because the Leafs are icing players who are WORSE than them by whatever metric you'd like to chos - ie Smith.

I'd rather have an average guy like Holland than somebody like Smith who makes his linemates worse.

Rhynne

Nov 14, 2016
I'm now very upset!
Sorokin looks to be a stud!

I know right? Would love to have him in our prospect pool, particularly given how weak our goalie depth is. But drafted 78th you can see how many times he was passed over(including by our Leafs) before being picked.

Looking at rounds 2 and 3 of that draft(picks 31-90), there's not a lot of names there that jump off the page as likely to amount to anything. Maybe 7 out of those 60 picks make any impact in the NHL?

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
I know right? Would love to have him in our prospect pool, particularly given how weak our goalie depth is. But drafted 78th you can see how many times he was passed over(including by our Leafs) before being picked.

Looking at rounds 2 and 3 of that draft(picks 31-90), there's not a lot of names there that jump off the page as likely to amount to anything. Maybe 7 out of those 60 picks make any impact in the NHL?

Well, valiev in his own right looks like he's well on his way to being a solid d. Probably a #6, but out of the third round I'd say that's pretty decent.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Was busy yesterday, didn't get to comment on this.

Surprised we got anything back. I doubt he'll have much of a long-term impact there. God knows he got so many opportunities here and just threw them away.

If he turns his game around I'll be happy for him but he never would have done that here, opportunities or not.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Good luck to Peter. Leaf fan that got to play for the leafs. Just wasn't room down the middle anymore. No offense to him, but there are everyday players like Holland, not hard to replace. Seems Leivo will warm the bench just as well.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Big Joe was so highly thought of in Calgary that they kicked him to the curb.

All players eventually get kicked to the curb. Even ones that are/were franchise players. That's the natural scheme in the nhl.
That doesn't mean the player in question wasn't highly valued or regarded by the team

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
All players eventually get kicked to the curb. Even ones that are/were franchise players. That's the natural scheme in the nhl.
That doesn't mean the player in question wasn't highly valued or regarded by the team

We aren't talking about some aging player that's washed up, JC is in his prime .

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
We aren't talking about some aging player that's washed up, JC is in his prime .

Yup I know.
We kicked a prime Kessel out and we will kick out more capable players in their prime.
Panik comes to mind too.
Change of organizational direction, being replaced by a younger better player? Many reasons why players are let go and that does include that the team is not happy with said player but more often than not it's another reason.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Yup I know.
We kicked a prime Kessel out and we will kick out more capable players in their prime.
Panik comes to mind too.
Change of organizational direction, being replaced by a younger better player? Many reasons why players are let go and that does include that the team is not happy with said player but more often than not it's another reason.
The guy is young, cheap and if he was any good they would have kept him or at least tried to trade him if he had any value.
He's just filler for bottom end teams

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
The guy is young, cheap and if he was any good they would have kept him or at least tried to trade him if he had any value.
He's just filler for bottom end teams
Or he didn't fit the team view (which is Holland situation imo) and the management team is not creative or good enough to get a trade (even a conditional 6th that could be nothing) for him.
Too many working parts for as you say, and I agree with, a bottom line filler for me to say he is no good.
End of the day you could be right but a 30 point guy isn't worthless.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Or he didn't fit the team view (which is Holland situation imo) and the management team is not creative or good enough to get a trade (even a conditional 6th that could be nothing) for him.
Too many working parts for as you say, and I agree with, a bottom line filler for me to say he is no good.
End of the day you could be right but a 30 point guy isn't worthless.

The league is just saturated with that quality of player now. You give them away, sign them at the end of the season for peanuts. Trade them at the TDL, you name it. These guys are the most plentiful players in existence as far as NHL reserves go. The inconsistent fringe AHL budding superstars!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark