News Article: Holland on this season

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
All valid points. Is there any books on "How To Tank an NHL Playoff Team in 30 days For Dummies"?

I think it realistically takes 7 to 10 years just like KH said in his presser. Even then there are no guarantees.
Yeah biggest problem in tanking this team is how do we get bad enough to get the kind of picks we want, without trading the pieces we would like to build around?

Most people think we'd actually improve if we trade Howard, Ericsson and Kronwall and let Quincey, Helm and Richards go. So surely the way to tank the team would be to keep those guys and trade Larkin/Mrazek/Mantha/AA/Nyquist/Tatar/Dekeyser etc. for picks/prospects? And in doing that, 10 years does not sound unrealistic for a rebuild.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
All valid points. Is there any books on "How To Tank an NHL Playoff Team in 30 days For Dummies"?

I think it realistically takes 7 to 10 years just like KH said in his presser. Even then there are no guarantees.

if you do a scorched earth policy then yep, 7-10 years at least and even then

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If a traditional rebuild takes 7-10 years, "rebuilding on the fly" is gonna take 15-20 years.

Rebuilds can't last more than five years. Once you start to take longer than five years, you are just going from one rebuild to another.

Within five years of bottoming out, you need to have a core in place. That doesn't mean contending for a cup. That means you have a core where you feel comfortable building around.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
is that what we want to do, bottom out and trade everyone to assure ourselves of multiple top 5 picks, because thats what buffalo did

I dont think the rebuild on the fly type method works. If we dont trade for a #1 Dman and say we draft him this year it will be 5+ before he becomes that #1. For as nice as our forward prospects look we still need one to become that 80 point kinda player

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I dont think the rebuild on the fly type method works. If we dont trade for a #1 Dman and say we draft him this year it will be 5+ before he becomes that #1. For as nice as our forward prospects look we still need one to become that 80 point kinda player

i agree with you chance

but we can trade for a young enough dman who isnt a #1 but is good #2(shatty, vatanen, fowler, trouba) and trade for or sign some high skilled forwards like a stamkos or okposo and shed some bad salary(howard or datsyuk or ericsson) while still remaining competitive while we hope to develop that true #1 dman

becauue if we dont do exactly that, then yah, we need to burn it all down

it cant be anymore half measures

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad