News Article: Holland on this season

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
We had all those, except for Shanahan in 95 and 96 and it didn't work out. Before 97, Fedorov was considered a playoff failure. The selective memories or the assumed memories from people that didn't experience it are entertaining to read, though.

It's ok. Those wings fan didn't understand a good hockey team yet. Federov a playoff failure lol

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
so the jets moved up to 2nd OA and also have picks 26 and 32 and that 2nd pick could move up a bit depending on who makes the conference finals

what are the chances KH drops down from 16 to snag that later 1st rd pick plus the 32nd?

60% chance?

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Cherry picking negative fan reactions to loss isn't much of an argument against how different those losing Wings teams were versus this one. Unless you think Larkin is as good as one of those old core guys and another is on the way. And a defender.

Fans will always dog their team. Always. But objectively, this team doesn't have those pieces it always did that gave many of us hope.

The point is, those teams may have been better than now, but the fans aren't. The barely restrained joy amongst some posters that finally, finally, they're right about the team sticks in my craw.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Holland says that rebuilds take '10 years', no they ****ing don't. Re-builds take 10 years when the first 7 years are the first ****** management having no idea what to do and 3 years of the next management team coming in and fixing it. A competent GM should be able to successfully rebuild a team within 5 years.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
so the jets moved up to 2nd OA and also have picks 26 and 32 and that 2nd pick could move up a bit depending on who makes the conference finals

what are the chances KH drops down from 16 to snag that later 1st rd pick plus the 32nd?

60% chance?
50%? It depends on who they like and how much. The Jets, Canes, Leafs, Bruins and Coyotes could all be trade down possibilities looking quickly at the board.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

60% chance?

I don't think we can afford to trade down unless we just have 0 preference for anyone available at 16. Our team needs to get the Larkin- equivalent of a defenseman. We can't afford another Sproul-XO result. I'd prefer to watch and hope one of the top three D lasts at least until 9-11 and trade up for them. Montreal would make sense as a trading partner.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
I don't think we can afford to trade down unless we just have 0 preference for anyone available at 16. Our team needs to get the Larkin- equivalent of a defenseman. We can't afford another Sproul-XO result. I'd prefer to watch and hope one of the top three D lasts at least until 9-11 and trade up for them. Montreal would make sense as a trading partner.

Agree completely. If we had a track record of drafting and developing guys in the latter part of the first or the entire second round that would make sense. The truth of the matter is nearly every late first rounder and second rounder we have drafted - where the vast majority of NHL talent comes from - hasn't lived up to expectations.

We clearly had better luck with Larkin being a higher draft pick who has also exceeded expectations. If anything I would want this franchise to trade up a few spots if they can get someone who has the potential to make the roster sooner rather than the typical 3-4 year wait. If he can be more of an impact player like Larkin then that would increase our number of impact players by 50% and add to Larkin and Mrazek as guys you can build around.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Even the Packer's traded up at the draft this year. Very rare. Will Ken follow his doppelganger? I have hope.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Package 16&46 to move up a few spots? The fact we don't have a third round pick makes me really doubt it.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

60% chance?

I don't think holland trades down for the hell of it. I think back when we had a real habit of doing that, it was because we anticipated drafting late in the first and so we probably had more pet prospects in the early 2nd.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

60% chance?

Well, in all fairness, Wings need a top dman.... and drafting later brings a better chance of finding a top defensemen.

Keith/Weber/Josi

On the flip side, Wings have a new(er) scout that has a track record finding gem forwards like Larkin. So we'll see.

If Wings are better at drafting top forwards, then they need to trade Larkin for a D. Because it is easier to replace Larkin than it is finding a top Dman.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's ok. Those wings fan didn't understand a good hockey team yet. Federov a playoff failure lol

I was confused by that statement as well.

The team was seen as a playoff failure before 97 and people started to question if Stevie could ever get his team there, but Fedorov? He broke the Wings record for playoff points in '95 with 24 (previous held by Bob Probert if you can believe it) and was at or near a PPG in the postseason every year before that.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Well, in all fairness, Wings need a top dman.... and drafting later brings a better chance of finding a top defensemen.

Keith/Weber/Josi

On the flip side, Wings have a new(er) scout that has a track record finding gem forwards like Larkin. So we'll see.

If Wings are better at drafting top forwards, then they need to trade Larkin for a D. Because it is easier to replace Larkin than it is finding a top Dman.

Well the Wings have been drafting between 15-30 for the past 25 years and they haven't drafted a high quality defenseman in almost 16 years.

Also the Wings drafting Larkin isn't much of a track record. It's not a track record in finding gem forwards like Larkin. It's a track record in drafting Dylan Larkin.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Well the Wings have been drafting between 15-30 for the past 25 years and they haven't drafted a high quality defenseman in almost 16 years.

Also the Wings drafting Larkin isn't much of a track record. It's not a track record in finding gem forwards like Larkin. It's a track record in drafting Dylan Larkin.

Tyler Wright has found more than just Dylan Larkin, though.

And drafting defenseman is proven to be very difficult not just for Detroit, but several other clubs. KH needs to find a way to poach Nashville's scouts.

Bottom line, DRWs scouts need to be upgraded. Hakan Andersson's best find on D was Ericssion in recent memory, that's unacceptable. Time to trim the fat and re-vamp the scouting staff with a new vision. Hakan Andersson's best days are behind him.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

And drafting defenseman is proven to be very difficult not just for Detroit, but several other clubs. KH needs to find a way to poach Nashville's scouts.

Bottom line, DRWs scouts need to be upgraded. Hakan Andersson's best find on D was Ericssion in recent memory, that's unacceptable. Time to trim the fat and re-vamp the scouting staff with a new vision. Hakan Andersson's best days are behind him.

When's the last time Hakan drafted a defenseman that wasn't in the last round give or take?

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan

What player(s) has Tyler Wright picked besides Larkin?

Looking at every player Columbus drafted from 2007 to 2013 doesn't really show he has any track record for finding gems like Larkin.

And he didn't even take on a scouting role within the Jackets organization up until 2011.

Last edited:

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Maybe he needs to find quality guys that are worth picking sooner?

You don't know which guys he scouts and doesn't based off who he doesn't pick. For all we know those players are either gone or not selected at all. Look at how little we've delved into Scandinavia the last couple of drafts.

I know he wanted Edler and we just didn't get to pick him in time.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
You don't know which guys he scouts and doesn't based off who he doesn't pick. For all we know those players are either gone or not selected at all. Look at how little we've delved into Scandinavia the last couple of drafts.

I know he wanted Edler and we just didn't get to pick him in time.

You're right, we don't know. But you'd have to think if he's really, really high on on a future franchise dman, then he'd stress that relentlessly to KH that he found "the guy!". If that was the case, KH would have picked the future franchise dman over Jurco/Frk/Sheahan/Mantha.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Holland says that rebuilds take '10 years', no they ****ing don't. Re-builds take 10 years when the first 7 years are the first ****** management having no idea what to do and 3 years of the next management team coming in and fixing it. A competent GM should be able to successfully rebuild a team within 5 years.
Serious question: are there any examples from history of anyone taking a playoff team and dismantling them to start off a rebuild and succesfully making them competitive again in 5 years? Maybe Calgary? But they had little or no young talent when they started their rebuild and all signs point towards last year being an anomaly.. so I don't know.

Looking at our team, we don't have a very good chance of tanking the team into the #1-5 range of picks unless we trade pieces of the future like Larkin/Mrazek. And if we do that, I don't think we could rebuild the team in 5 years.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Serious question: are there any examples from history of anyone taking a playoff team and dismantling them to start off a rebuild and succesfully making them competitive again in 5 years? Maybe Calgary? But they had little or no young talent when they started their rebuild and all signs point towards last year being an anomaly.. so I don't know.

Looking at our team, we don't have a very good chance of tanking the team into the #1-5 range of picks unless we trade pieces of the future like Larkin/Mrazek. And if we do that, I don't think we could rebuild the team in 5 years.

All valid points. Is there any books on "How To Tank an NHL Playoff Team in 30 days For Dummies"?

I think it realistically takes 7 to 10 years just like KH said in his presser. Even then there are no guarantees.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
You're right, we don't know. But you'd have to think if he's really, really high on on a future franchise dman, then he'd stress that relentlessly to KH that he found "the guy!". If that was the case, KH would have picked the future franchise dman over Jurco/Frk/Sheahan/Mantha.

Like he did with Zetterberg and Franzen who were both still taken in the late rounds?

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Like he did with Zetterberg and Franzen who were both still taken in the late rounds?

From the rumors I remember, DRWs were the only ones looking at Zetterberg and Franzen was an overager.

Maybe if Hakan felt there was a threat of not getting them, he would have told KH to draft them early... just a thought. But the facts remain the same, Hakan hasn't brought in any top D quality prospects since Jonathan Ericsson. We can speculate behind-the-scene "what ifs" all we want... but that is the facts. Jonathan Ericsson is his best dman since... 2002?

While Kingberg was taken 131st overall. That's unacceptable.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00