Recalled/Assigned: Hoffman up

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Give your head a shake. In no way is Conacher or any other young player "standing in the way" of Hoffman. It is there for Hoffman to take and the last callup he had two full games alongside Mac and Turris and he didn't perform. How are players standing in his way ? You seem to be assuming a lot that Hoffman or Prince or Stone can make the jump. Hoffman has passed through waivers this year after an excellent year last year. Are all 29 clubs blind to this "hidden gem" ? I hope Hoffman excels this time up but he needs to do something quick because he is running out of opportunities. My biggest hope is he gets al least a dozen games to show what he's got.

While I don't disagree Hoffman has to make the most of his opportunities, however if two games with zero production is the measure, then Conacher would have been out of town long ago along with many Sens forwards!!!

My apologies but I dislike when players are evaluated by different standards.

It would be just as easy to suggest if Hoffman had the opportunity to play 57 games with little fear of being sent to Bingo he would most likely have more than 20 points.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Lol, where did Hoffman/Conacher comparison come from? Hoffman is 6'0 vs 5'8 Conacher.

They don't even play the same.

3rd line*

We won't go anywhere with Greening-Smith-Neil as our 3rd line.

Smith is now on the 4th line with Neil, Condra and Greening are now on line 1 and 2.

Wonder how far this will take the Sens!!!!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Hoffman seems to be a slow starter everywhere he has been. He was unable to make it as a Kitchener Ranger & ended up as an Olympique before traded to the east coast where he excelled. He had a tough yr in his first yr with Bingo but slowly yr after yr got better & is now their best player. The same can be said in his callups with Ottawa & if this coaching staff is patient with him he could finally find his game at the NHL level. Hopefully, sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
if he fails this time ill worry hes gonna play with ziby and ryan.......hes being given a real shot here for once..

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Paul Maclean was saying on the Team 1200 that they believe he's an NHLer and that they intend to give him a good look this time around. Also said they encouraged him to just play his game this time, they felt he played scared in last call up and that he needs to trust his instincts as he's an offensive player.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
While I don't disagree Hoffman has to make the most of his opportunities, however if two games with zero production is the measure, then Conacher would have been out of town long ago along with many Sens forwards!!!

My apologies but I dislike when players are evaluated by different standards.

It would be just as easy to suggest if Hoffman had the opportunity to play 57 games with little fear of being sent to Bingo he would most likely have more than 20 points.

Your reading me wrong, he had the proper opportunity with the proper players but I absolutely agree he wasn't given enough time. He needs an extended audition, my point was Conacher is not standing in the way of any players opportunities. To me he is being pushed aside once again while Condra and greening get to play on the top two lines! and Cony draws Smith and Neil. NOT evaluating players by different standards at all, I continue to complain about our younger players not getting the proper opportunity due to MacLeans infatuation with some of our vets.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Your reading me wrong, he had the proper opportunity with the proper players but I absolutely agree he wasn't given enough time. He needs an extended audition, my point was Conacher is not standing in the way of any players opportunities. To me he is being pushed aside once again while Condra and greening get to play on the top two lines! and Cony draws Smith and Neil. NOT evaluating players by different standards at all, I continue to complain about our younger players not getting the proper opportunity due to MacLeans infatuation with some of our vets.

Well the fact is any player with a one-way contract that is not waiver exempt is in the way of the young guys in Bingo, even if they aren't performing up to expectations.

I do not wish to make this a "Conacher vs the prospects" discussion because IMO its just not that at all. While Cory may not have produced at the level some might have expected, he still has produced more than Greening, Condra, Neil and Smith.

I echo your sentiments on how the young players have been handled, seeing Greening and Condra penciled in on lines one and two while Cory drops to line 4 makes little sense to me.

However my point was directed at single comment, "he had the proper opportunity" when in fact he did not.

IMO two games shows nothing, and the reasons offered up by MacLean vague and meaningless. After listening to the Murray interview from yesterday it is clear he believes Hoffman is an NHL player and that he wasn't given an appropriate opportunity. Obviously I agree. :)

History has shown that most young players need time, not measured in games but in seasons.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
Well the fact is any player with a one-way contract that is not waiver exempt is in the way of the young guys in Bingo, even if they aren't performing up to expectations.

I do not wish to make this a "Conacher vs the prospects" discussion because IMO its just not that at all. While Cory may not have produced at the level some might have expected, he still has produced more than Greening, Condra, Neil and Smith.

I echo your sentiments on how the young players have been handled, seeing Greening and Condra penciled in on lines one and two while Cory drops to line 4 makes little sense to me.

However my point was directed at single comment, "he had the proper opportunity" when in fact he did not.

IMO two games shows nothing, and the reasons offered up by MacLean vague and meaningless. After listening to the Murray interview from yesterday it is clear he believes Hoffman is an NHL player and that he wasn't given an appropriate opportunity. Obviously I agree. :)

History has shown that most young players need time, not measured in games but in seasons.

Yes no disagreement here I agree :) Unless your that high draft pick it takes a long time to find out what some of these prospects have.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Paul Maclean was saying on the Team 1200 that they believe he's an NHLer and that they intend to give him a good look this time around. Also said they encouraged him to just play his game this time, they felt he played scared in last call up and that he needs to trust his instincts as he's an offensive player.

Completely. He played like a spastic 4th line speedster... when you watch him play in the AHL, he's wayyyy more cerebral.

WhiteLight*

Hoffman is just too good not to stick. Some high scoring AHL can't stick because they're too small or can't skate. Neither is the case for Hoffman. He'll make it

Now, someone needs to be traded so Da Costa can get back up here. He was terrific

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Completely. He played like a spastic 4th line speedster... when you watch him play in the AHL, he's wayyyy more cerebral.

completely agree, he looks relaxed, head up. People say its because the league is so much worse than the NHL but he just takes a little time to feel out the game. His first year in the AHL was not spectacular by any stretch either

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Anyone know if he has to pass through waivers if lets say he is sent back in 3 games or so? I think he does not, as he already did that at the beginning of the year and he hasn't been with the club for 30 (?) days.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Anyone know if he has to pass through waivers if lets say he is sent back in 3 games or so? I think he does not, as he already did that at the beginning of the year and he hasn't been with the club for 30 (?) days.

I think Garrioch said he has 7 games/21 days before he eligible to be claimed off waivers

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Hoffman is just too good not to stick. Some high scoring AHL can't stick because they're too small or can't skate. Neither is the case for Hoffman. He'll make it

Now, someone needs to be traded so Da Costa can get back up here. He was terrific

Well, we don't know that's he's not big/durable enough to stick. He looked good in a very brief stint last year but hurt his shoulder almost immediately. I think that's the biggest question mark with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad