HOF Monitor Points through Four Seasons

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Depends on how you view depression hockey.The NHL rule changes - forward pass, offside, etc in the early thirties impacted on the rookies from the thirties because they had to change their game at the NHL level.Some adapted, while others did not. Also impacted on goalies.

The parallel you draw with the 1990's is very interesting because effectively in the 1930's the rule changes brought about changes in the way NHL hockey was played. In the 1990's unlimited access to the Soviet and European players brought about changes to NHL hockey as well.

In both instances the rookies and /or newcomers would have the hardest adjustment period.

Team system - other than the previously mentioned Red Wings, the Leafs historically had the most success with a team approach. In fact until the 1974/1975 Flyers other than the Canadiens, Leafs and Red Wings no other team repeated.

Some of the HHOF inductees reflect perceptions of team style from an era. Leo Boivin, Fern Flaman, Bill Quackenbush reflect the perception about Boston defensemen (granted the first two are ex Leafs). Doug Bentley, Roy Conacher, Bill Mosienko perceptions about Chicago wingers.

I question if Mosienko would be in without that hat-trick. But Bentley and Conacher were elite scoring forwards. Quackenbush is possibly the best defenceman of the post-war 40's, along with Bouchard, Reardon and Stewart.

Boivin and Flaman are potentially questionable selections. I am a Flaman fan though.

My personal bias says I'd rather see more credit given to defensive defencemen, so, I don't object to their selection. But, scoring line forwards who aren't top producers, I'm sceptical.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Bob Goldham

I question if Mosienko would be in without that hat-trick. But Bentley and Conacher were elite scoring forwards. Quackenbush is possibly the best defenceman of the post-war 40's, along with Bouchard, Reardon and Stewart.

Boivin and Flaman are potentially questionable selections. I am a Flaman fan though.

My personal bias says I'd rather see more credit given to defensive defencemen, so, I don't object to their selection. But, scoring line forwards who aren't top producers, I'm sceptical.

Yet Bob Goldham is not in and the point could be made that he contributed to his teams just as much if not more as some of the aforementioned. Kelly, Pronovost, Goldham certainly were a force.

The Quackenbush, Boivin, Flaman threesome is interesting since they were teammates with the Bruins in the mid fifties yet they were never considered "Big 3" caliber. There is also a significant gap between them and Harvey, Bouchard, Johnson or the Red Wing trio.

Think Bob Goldham is often forgotten when it comes to HHOF discussions regarding overlooked oldtimers.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Quackenbush was past his prime then. But those mid-50's Bruins do strike me as an underrated team.

Goldham wouldn't be out of place, but, sadly, guys like him never get the respect and love scorers get...

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
1950's Bruins

Quackenbush was past his prime then. But those mid-50's Bruins do strike me as an underrated team.

Goldham wouldn't be out of place, but, sadly, guys like him never get the respect and love scorers get...

Yes, three finals with two upsets of the powerful Red Wings. Interesting blend of forwards, perhaps a bit below average goalies when you factor in that Sawchuk during his two season stay was fighting his demons. Very well coached.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad