Hockey Trivia

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I know gump worsley played a few games with the north stars where he did not wear a mask in 73/74

Thats correct. 2nd last, only Andy Brown still playing barefaced. Worsley finally donned a mask (upon the urging of Cesare Maniago) for the last 6 games of his 931 game NHL career. Former teammate Lou Nanne recalls overhearing someone amazed, asked Gump; "Youve never worn a mask"?... replying with "You think Id look like this if I'd worn a mask"?..... and of course his most famous line; "My face is my mask".... Yep, lots of Gumpster stories... Real character.... In Montreal, the fans would hurl their rubber galoshes on the ice, in NY, ball bearings, coins, and one time a paper bag, landed right in front of Gumps crease. Took a peek inside, ham & cheese sammich.... Im guessin he saved it for later. Waste not want not jts. Ha?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tarantula

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
Back in 1962 when Gump was playing for the Rangers. I was in Detroit where the Rangers were playing the Wings. Vern Buffey and I were in the hotel lobby where the Rangers and the Officials stayed and we were talking with Worsley. Vern brought up the subject of wearing a mask and Worsley's response was that he wouldn't wear one because he felt that there was a blind spot when he was looking down for the puck when it was at his feet.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Back in 1962 when Gump was playing for the Rangers... he wouldn't wear one because he felt that there was a blind spot when he was looking down for the puck when it was at his feet.

Ya, that was the general reason & feeling amongst most of the goaltending fraternity. Blindspots in the lower peripheral vision regions and yes, it was a problem. Worsley was a semi-standup who's game was patterned after Davey Kerr's & Frankie Brimseks', turned pro in 1948; didnt grow up facing nor did he spend the first 10 or 11 years with Rangers, in the AHL & WHL facing a lot of Slapshots beyond Geoffrion of the Habs, but more importantly by his teammate Andy Bathgate in NY during practices. Eased into it. He was therefore somewhat more prepared for its explosion both in terms of how to stop them & how to deal with them psychologically in the early 60's than most, that new development resulting in everyone donning masks.

So for guys like Worsley in not adopting the mask, it was a trade-off. Rather have full 360 degree vision without any impediments, if you could at least catch a glimpse of the puck you could save it or duck as the case may be. Rather like players not wearing helmets, masks were hot, didnt breathe causing further problems in overheating & tiring one out earlier. Fair amount of hubris involved in refusing to wear one but then thats always been a character trait of most goaltenders and yes, a certain "stigma", that in donning a mask you were a bit of a Wimp. That you shouldnt need one.... Whats little known about Gump is that despite the happy-go-lucky persona he actually suffered from depression & alcoholism during his time in NY and had a real fear, real phobia when it came to flying. So much so that by early 1969, had a bit of a nervous breakdown. Was convinced, talked into coming back at 40 by Minnesota where he went on to play some of the best hockey of his career.

nutbar

Jan 19, 2011
Yeah, I guess it's going to go in to debate.

I'll change this. Who has the best in-team scoring finishes while never leading his team in scoring?

So, simply just who has most 2nd, 3rd or 4th place finishes etc.

So what's the answer to this one?

Ralph Spoilsport

Jun 4, 2011
Essentially we're looking for the highest scoring player to never lead his team in scoring...is that right?

Is it Alex Delvecchio?

howie789

Aug 22, 2009
BG

No Googling:

what BG player played for Calgary the season after getting the GWG in the college championship (Division 1).

what BG player was on the Olympic winning team and a Stanley Cup winning team the same year. (easy)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Essentially we're looking for the highest scoring player to never lead his team in scoring...is that right?

Is it Alex Delvecchio?

The question was actually who has the most 2nd place finishes in team scoring without leading ... but the answer still has to be Delvecchio.

He was 2nd in scoring on Detroit 7 times and 3rd 10 times. 17 times top-3 in team scoring without leading a single time. Crazy.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Then not Martin St. Louis. I think it's Cavallini isn't it?

Thats right, Gino Cavallini. Scored the game winning goal in the 1984 NCAA Div 1 Championships in the 4th Overtime Period. Nice Irish boy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad