Speculation: Hockey Ops Roulette (The Chayka Syndrome)

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The no-rush timeline talk makes me think they like of the scout guys (Armstrong) and are fine with Sullivan handling things til post-draft when that guy can come aboard.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
The no-rush timeline talk makes me think they like of the scout guys (Armstrong) and are fine with Sullivan handling things til post-draft when that guy can come aboard.

Wonder if the plan is to keep Sullivan as an assistant GM. Maybe it's a handshake deal that we will give you this promotion and give you more influence on the NHL side of things if we hire a GM but if you wow us with the return in a trade in the meantime the spot is yours. Seems really strange that Sullivan is going rouge. Maybe it's to impress other clubs as well if he knows we are about to hire a GM to replace him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wonder if the plan is to keep Sullivan as an assistant GM. Maybe it's a handshake deal that we will give you this promotion and give you more influence on the NHL side of things if we hire a GM but if you wow us with the return in a trade in the meantime the spot is yours. Seems really strange that Sullivan is going rouge. Maybe it's to impress other clubs as well if he knows we are about to hire a GM to replace him.

I don't think it's that complicated. It's probably the compressed timeline plus the fact a sizeable trade like the KK one went down right as they were starting. It's just not feasible to sit out for as long as it's going to take.

It's also likely they underestimated how respected Sullivan is around the league. If they like what he's pitching and the trade offers coming in are good, there's really no reason to stick with Tocchet. I doubt candidates like Bill Armstrong spun some yarn about how they're going to be able to be a contender without draft picks as well, so XG and the Meruelos might have simply sobered up.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Based on the names interviewed so far, and the information about Sully...I really wonder if they’ve already basically given him the job, and are actually interviewing a sort of side kick for him? Whether that’s an AGM/VP of Hockey Ops...maybe a President of Hockey Ops position...maybe even some sort of Co-GM type of situation. Who knows...doesn’t seem like any of these guys would do any better than Sully would though. Nothing at all gives me the impression that they would. Sully also has the benefit of having the familiarity with the organization and what they’ve been doing for the last handful of years. If you’re not hiring a Hextall/Shero type, it makes no sense to not just keep Sully. I think they’re interviewing a sidekick.
If your first thought is correct we don't have to wonder why the Coyores have little respect around the League. You don't waste people's time for interviews if the job doesn't isn't available.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
... there's really no reason to stick with Tocchet. I doubt candidates like Bill Armstrong spun some yarn about how they're going to be able to be a contender without draft picks as well, so XG and the Meruelos might have simply sobered up.
I hope this is what’s happening.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Bizarre moment on the 31 Thoughts Pod where Friedman says his sources around the league tell him that Steve Sullivan is acting like the GM, making and taking trade calls on OEL and Kuemper and others, and seems like he’s the real GM. Many are saying they ought to just make him GM.

However, Friedman also says he thinks they three people on the interview calls are Meruelo, Jr., and XG. He says he thinks they’re using this while thing to talk in depth with a bunch of execs from around the league and learn as much as they can. As a result, he thinks they are NOT CLOSE to making a decision.

Having said that, apparently Florida was vague about their process, made people think they were still in the game, and then blindsided the field with an abrupt Zito hire. So some of these candidates are salty about what Florida did and don’t want to be used in that way by AZ. So candidates might start to demand details on process and timeline before committing their time and energy.

My own rambling (not Friedman’s):
I wonder if these guys are going to spend 80+ hours talking to execs and hockey people from all over the league, and then just give Sullivan the job anyway. It sounds like there is league support for Sullivan, at least from executives around the league.

Maybe the work he’s doing and the feedback they’re getting is making them more comfortable with him. Maybe more and more the people they talk to seem less aligned with Tocchet’s philosophy and more aligned with Sullivan’s.

Is it possible that they’re simply using this process to educate themselves enough to decide which way to land on the Tocchet vs Sullivan power-struggle?
I think they are trying to get a grasp on how much smoke Chayka was blowing and identifying what needs to changed and how successful franchises operate. They are grass is green hockey people. They don’t know what best practices are. How big scouting departments are? What is Az doing versus other successful organizations? This is a fishing exercise with a long to do statement.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I don't think it's that complicated. It's probably the compressed timeline plus the fact a sizeable trade like the KK one went down right as they were starting. It's just not feasible to sit out for as long as it's going to take.

It's also likely they underestimated how respected Sullivan is around the league. If they like what he's pitching and the trade offers coming in are good, there's really no reason to stick with Tocchet. I doubt candidates like Bill Armstrong spun some yarn about how they're going to be able to be a contender without draft picks as well, so XG and the Meruelos might have simply sobered up.

This is probably most likely what's going on, but after weeks of the GM search and the rollercoaster ride we've been on, I've had too much time to overthink it all.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
I am almost resigned with another year of Tocchet, but could be at peace with that if:

- the new GM is not a friend of him and is able to evaluate him for what he has shown and might show.
- the new GM makes trades, this off season, with the real future of the Coyotes in mind (picks, younger players for veterans types).

Like everyone else, I am warming to Sullivan. I understand the logic of going cheaper in this day and age.

Cheaper, when done well, should mean hunger to compete; hunger to prove others wrong.

That's the direction we should go towards.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Craig Morgan posted this morning they finished their initial round of interviews, are getting ready for the next round and could have a GM named by the end of next week.

PuckLife

Feb 26, 2015
What’s the story between Sullivan and Tocchet? I keep reading on this forum that there’s a beef, but I haven’t seen any sources. Any links would be much appreciated

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
Gut feeling says Dallas, maybe Vegas. Dallas is horse country, Vegas is closer to Scottsdale. Doubt a Canadian team due to that old dust up w French Canada.

Interesting. I was thinking one of the NY/NJ triad, but i realize you're right that would be too close to Quebec. I suspect your hunch will be more accurate.

rt

May 13, 2004
Doan never said anything about French Canadians. It was sensationalist drivel from an absolute hack loser who’s been busted making up shit before. Complete non issue.

I guess you guys think all the Jews called out sick in the towers on 9/11, too?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Doan never said anything about French Canadians. It was sensationalist drivel from an absolute hack loser who’s been busted making up shit before. Complete non issue.

Insulting. I’m not a conspiracy theorist and I do remember that Doan was hurt by the accusation. In the tri States area ( I grew up there) no one gives a rat’s ass over that. It’s a pressure cooker lifestyle. Would Doan be happy there?

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Insulting. I’m not a conspiracy theorist and I do remember that Doan was hurt by the accusation. In the tri States area ( I grew up there) no one gives a rat’s ass over that. It’s a pressure cooker lifestyle. Would Doan be happy there?
Doan had every right to be offended. He was vindicated by an investigation yet the accusation was manipulated for propaganda purposes. It is over and done with. Doubt it would have any impact on Doan working for a Canadian team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Doan sued and the guy settled.

that being said unless Doan speaks fluent French he will never hold a high position in Montreal. The team had to issue a press release to apologize for naming a temporary interim anglophone Coach because their bilingual coach had a health issue.

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Based on Craig’s comments it kinda sounds like Sullivan is the guy but if they want Armstrong maybe they wait to make him GM after the draft.

Not sure how Burke fits into it. After missing out on two GM jobs, and potentially three with Arizona, I wonder if he’d take an AGM spot to Sully or Armstrong to help strengthen his resume.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So first week of the new GM’s job is to lose 2 big trades? Tocchet can’t be on board with moving Keumper.

Blue Warriors

Apr 11, 2012
St-Lawrence River

It seems Ladislav Nagy was the culprit not Doan. You won’t find a more shameful Canadian politician than former Montreal mayor Denis Coderre.:thumbd:
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.si....-not-by-doan-hockey-canada-officials-tell-mps

Reactions: Kaizen

rt

May 13, 2004
Based on Craig’s comments it kinda sounds like Sullivan is the guy but if they want Armstrong maybe they wait to make him GM after the draft.

Not sure how Burke fits into it. After missing out on two GM jobs, and potentially three with Arizona, I wonder if he’d take an AGM spot to Sully or Armstrong to help strengthen his resume.
I thought about Burke as AGM. It seems like he’s not going to get a GM spot if he doesn’t get this one. If the team names him GM of the Roadrunners, that would be a key to getting a top job in the future.

I also wonder about Futa. He’s currently unemployed. Would he be willing to just take Hofford’s job?

I like the idea of Sullivan working with the support of Burke and Futa.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Sullivan -> GM
--
No money, so no firing of RT
But no extension either
Trade OEL (picks/prospects) because RT wants it and mainly, no money
Trade Kuemper (pics/prospects) because no money and..... RT won't like it ha!
--
So next year, GM Sullivan gives a weaker roster to a slightly unhappy RT (but he cannot complain too much as OEL has gone as per his wishes).
Sullivan has a good look at what Hill can do in the NHL (Sullivan knows Hill well of course as per Tucson, he might believe he can cut it in the NHL)
If the team does well (unlikely), well, time to think about RT
If the team does not do well (likely), easy riddance of RT.
--

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad