Speculation: Hockey Ops Roulette (The Chayka Syndrome)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If a new GM wants Tocc gone, he's gone. Even He doesn't make enough to handcuff a new GM that way. If you believe in the new GM, you believe in his judgement. You don't tell someone, "I like your plan, you've got the job, but you can't fire this guy or trade these guys."

Reactions: Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't see how you potentially let Sullivan trade key pieces like OEL and Kuemper and then name Burke as GM the next day.

"Ok, Sean, you're GM. But remember your plan for those two guys? Funny story..."

If those trades go down the job is Sully's.
I think it was Sullivan all along and the owners just wanted an education.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Sully or Burkie, just hire someone NOW!! Chayka quit over 6 weeks ago.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think it was Sullivan all along and the owners just wanted an education.
Perhaps what they’ve learned is what has led them back to Sullivan? Could it be that they’ve found he’s well-respected and his outlook/philosophy is more aligned with the general consensus of other respected hockey minds than they might have expected.

Maybe they initially figured he was too green and wanted more experience. Then when they went out and talked to all these other guys, they figured they had what they needed right here and can probably get it nice and cheap.

Reactions: AZviaNJ and _Del_

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I think that's the most likely scenario. I don't think he was the first choice, but they like him as AGM. And the more they talked and gathered opinions, the more they came around to seeing Sully as a real candidate.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Wonder if there's any interest in revisiting Todd Nelson as a coach with the Stars success

Reactions: RABBIT

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I don't mind promoting Sullivan, but that still doesn't rid the front office with the stench of the London Knights.

Goldberg, Hofford and all the other guys with ties to London stay on if he gets promoted.

Partially the reason why I was/am rooting for Burke or Armstrong for that matter.

rt

May 13, 2004
I don't mind promoting Sullivan, but that still doesn't rid the front office with the stench of the London Knights.

Goldberg, Hofford and all the other guys with ties to London stay on if he gets promoted.

Partially the reason why I was/am rooting for Burke or Armstrong for that matter.
Why would you assume Sullivan would keep Chayka’s hires?

Assuming the story of the prospect testing scandal really being the fault of Chayka and the strength and conditioning boss, what is it about Goldberg and Hofford that rankles?

rt

May 13, 2004
Wonder if there's any interest in revisiting Todd Nelson as a coach with the Stars success
I think I had him and Tocchet tied for my top preference the last time. I was blinded by all the Cup rings. Lol.

Nelson is a guy with such a long track-record of successful (winning more than losing, being in playoffs consistently and even a few championships) professional head coaching. He didn’t just get hooked up with a job in the NHL right away like it was nothing because he was such a good guy.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Why would you assume Sullivan would keep Chayka’s hires?

Assuming the story of the prospect testing scandal really being the fault of Chayka and the strength and conditioning boss, what is it about Goldberg and Hofford that rankles?

Merulo has been very open about continuing Chayka's process and methodologies in the front office. So it would be safe to assume Sullivan would keep everybody on staff on and continue with John's vision. Not to say he wouldn't make a change or two.

And Goldberg and Hofford are more in on the prospect testing scandal than people realize. That whole front office knew what was going on, they just kept their mouth's shut.

Plus, anybody with any history connected to the London Knights needs to go, especially them. I could tell you numerous stories that OHL front office people have told me, about shady back diving deals the Knights have participated in (including Goldberg and Hofford within them)

rt

May 13, 2004
1. Merulo has been very open about continuing Chayka's process and methodologies in the front office.

2. So it would be safe to assume Sullivan would keep everybody on staff on and continue with John's vision. Not to say he wouldn't make a change or two.

3. And Goldberg and Hofford are more in on the prospect testing scandal than people realize. That whole front office knew what was going on, they just kept their mouth's shut.

4. Plus, anybody with any history connected to the London Knights needs to go, especially them. I could tell you numerous stories that OHL front office people have told me, about shady back diving deals the Knights have participated in (including Goldberg and Hofford within them)
1. Has this been said publicly? I don’t recall Meruelo making any statement beyond the official press release.

2. I’m not sure that’s safe to assume at all. Chayka’s plan was an abject failure, an unmitigated disaster. I see no reason why Sullivan, who’s 20 years older and very much his own man would go on carrying a torch from the disgraced boy wonder.

3. That doesn’t align with the stories that have come out. Is this inside knowledge that you have or are you referencing something I missed?

4. Have the Knights suffered for any of this or have they gained an advantage? Seems like whatever the Knights may or may not have done had resulted in a net-positive. They’re a premier (maybe THE premier) CHL franchise.

Reactions: Jakey53

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
1. Has this been said publicly? I don’t recall Meruelo making any statement beyond the official press release.

2. I’m not sure that’s safe to assume at all. Chayka’s plan was an abject failure, an unmitigated disaster. I see no reason why Sullivan, who’s 20 years older and very much his own man would go on carrying a torch from the disgraced boy wonder.

3. That doesn’t align with the stories that have come out. Is this inside knowledge that you have or are you referencing something I missed?

4. Have the Knights suffered for any of this or have they gained an advantage? Seems like whatever the Knights may or may not have done had resulted in a net-positive. They’re a premier (maybe THE premier) CHL franchise.

1. IIRC Meruelo openly praised Chayka's thought process' and decision making when they announced his contract extension last fall, particularly at the press conference.

2. John's plan had his hits and misses, I think Steve would keep the current staff on since he's worked and gotten to know them over the last few years and should feel comfortable with them.

3. I know a couple people who have worked in the front office with them and have confirmed that to me ... won't give out any names or info though.

4. Do you wonder how the Knights always get those to American commits? They funnel dark money (for lack of a better term) to those guys to ensure they play for them instead of other OHL franchises. If you look at their drafting record, they have never been able to develop talent in the mid to later rounds of the OHL draft, unlike other franchises that have done that (i.e. Erie and Soo) The only reason London never gets caught (unlike Niagara that did) is because they're the biggest cash cow for the OHL and David Branch would never touch them. Everybody in the OHL knows what they do and nothing is done about it.

Sidenote, I worked for Erie's Hockey Ops during the 2017 OHL title run, so I kinda learned everything firsthand about the OHL, operations, etc, so I am a little biased.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
1. IIRC Meruelo openly praised Chayka's thought process' and decision making when they announced his contract extension last fall, particularly at the press conference.

2. John's plan had his hits and misses, I think Steve would keep the current staff on since he's worked and gotten to know them over the last few years and should feel comfortable with them.

3. I know a couple people who have worked in the front office with them and have confirmed that to me ... won't give out any names or info though.

4. Do you wonder how the Knights always get those to American commits? They funnel dark money (for lack of a better term) to those guys to ensure they play for them instead of other OHL franchises. If you look at their drafting record, they have never been able to develop talent in the mid to later rounds of the OHL draft, unlike other franchises that have done that (i.e. Erie and Soo) The only reason London never gets caught (unlike Niagara that did) is because they're the biggest cash cow for the OHL and David Branch would never touch them. Everybody in the OHL knows what they do and nothing is done about it.

Sidenote, I worked for Erie's Hockey Ops during the 2017 OHL title run, so I kinda learned everything firsthand about the OHL, operations, etc, so I am a little biased.
1. We've seen an awful lot laid bare since then. Haha.
2. I don't see that as a foregone conclusion. If my VP quit and I got his job, I wouldn't keep all of the managers I work with.
3. I see. Well, I can't argue with that. If it's true that Hofford and Goldberg have culpability for the sanction we ultimately got, they should be fired.
4. That all sounds great and I'm jealous. I wish we had something like that going here.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Washington gets Lavi, one of my two favorite coaches off the market.
Lavi's a good fit with a veteran team like Washington, not sure how he would do here or if he'd want any part of the type of rebuilding required.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad