Speculation: Hockey Ops Roulette (The Chayka Syndrome)

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Why does anyone here think that Doan’s interest in returning to the Coyotes is a given? It’s not. I wouldn’t be surprised to find Doan join another team in a year or two.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Why does anyone here think that Doan’s interest in returning to the Coyotes is a given? It’s not. I wouldn’t be surprised to find Doan join another team in a year or two.

Well, if the Diamondbacks could find a way to get Randy Johnson to stop being mad at them enough to join them again as a team ambassador, there's hope for Doan.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Jonathan Davis on Sportsnet had some interesting tidbits:

Jonathan Davis on the Golden Knights, Canucks' offseason questions and Coyotes GM search - Sportsnet.ca

1. confirms Pierre McGuire is out
2. says Sullivan isn’t expected to get FT GM title
3. says keep an eye on Bill Armstrong
4. says the belief is the Coyotes won’t overpay Hall just to make him stay.

The Yotes have been screwing with my mind the last couple of weeks! I can't tell if they are going to be smart or if they are going to do something really stupid.

There are smart things I hear, like not wanting to overpay Hall just to stay (Or at minimum it's not dumb). Deciding that McGuire won't be getting the GM job (again.. maybe smart is too strong a word and it's better to say not dumb).

But then I hear dumb things like Pierre McGuire getting more than 1 interview for the GM position or even that candidates on that tier are even being considered but yet they haven't contacted a candidate like Hextall.

If they are trying to be secretive and not tip their hand, I suppose they are doing a good job to me because I can't get a read on what they are going to do. Just keep hoping they go with a good GM candidate.

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada

Do you have any feeling for what the other team might be?

Just curious because I've had the same vibe and have no clue in hell where I got it from.

rt

May 13, 2004
Morgan hinted that the ownership group MIGHT (totally unconfirmed) have suspicions that Doan had a hand in the league sanctions against the team. This MIGHT be baseless speculation based on his ownership stake in a WHL team and hard feelings he may or may not have against John Chayka, and people just connecting those dots. Morgan did state that he checked around and tried to run this down to the best of his abilities and found NOTHING in the way of evidence corroborating Doan having any involvement. Buuut that doesn't rule out the theory that the team might have a BELIEF that he was involved.

At least that was my interpretation of Craig's take in his article. I'd recommend reading it for yourselves.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Morgan hinted that the ownership group MIGHT (totally unconfirmed) have suspicions that Doan had a hand in the league sanctions against the team. This MIGHT be baseless speculation based on his ownership stake in a WHL team and hard feelings he may or may not have against John Chayka, and people just connecting those dots. Morgan did state that he checked around and tried to run this down to the best of his abilities and found NOTHING in the way of evidence corroborating Doan having any involvement. Buuut that doesn't rule out the theory that the team might have a BELIEF that he was involved.

At least that was my interpretation of Craig's take in his article. I'd recommend reading it for yourselves.

What evidence would there realistically be?

Not saying it's true, but it's pretty pathetic if it is.

rt

May 13, 2004
What evidence would there realistically be?

Not saying it's true, but it's pretty pathetic if it is.
What's pathetic? The suspicion that Doan could have been involved or would it be pathetic if he actually was involved? I agree with the former. Not sure I can agree with the latter. The Coyotes were obviously cheating. If Doan found out about it...I'm not sure I'd be willing to roast the guy if he maybe didn't hide that fact...

I don't even really want to think about it. I don't think Doan blew the whistle or demanded tougher sanctions.

I'm not sure whether I think the ownership group might suspect it or be guarded against him over it. That I can't even begin to guess. Lol.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Weird situation. Feels like Sullivan is feeding Friedman info to try and win the PR battle, but Tocchet has already won the power struggle based on the candidate list.

Not reaching out to more experienced candidates is super weird any way you slice it.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

rt

May 13, 2004
Weird situation. Feels like Sullivan is feeding Friedman info to try and win the PR battle, but Tocchet has already won the power struggle based on the candidate list.

Not reaching out to more experienced candidates is super weird any way you slice it.
What info is Sullivan feeding Friedman? I’ve heard Friedman complaining he can’t get a peep out of AZ. Morgan too.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What info is Sullivan feeding Friedman? I’ve heard Friedman complaining he can’t get a peep out of AZ. Morgan too.

That there's a hot market for Kuemper. Basically all the details we have about trading guys. That Sullivan has job options elsewhere.

I think the GM search is compartmentalized well but the talk about guys moving seems to be flowing about normal.

rt

May 13, 2004
That there's a hot market for Kuemper. Basically all the details we have about trading guys. That Sullivan has job options elsewhere.

I think the GM search is compartmentalized well but the talk about guys moving seems to be flowing about normal.
Friedman said he got his OEL and Kuemper valuations from around the league. Mums the word in AZ I guess. At least if I’m remember correctly.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Morgan is a horses ass, and is just trying to get readership. I would be absolutely shocked if Doan had anything personally to do with this. I don't know what his job description with the NHL is, but if something like this is part of his job, I have no problem with his involvement. Maybe if our dumb ass GM at the time didn't think he was smarter than anyone else and didn't cheat we wouldn't be crying.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I would like to have a experienced and proven GM take the reins, but maybe they declined an interview.:dunno:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Friedman said he got his OEL and Kuemper valuations from around the league. Mums the word in AZ I guess. At least if I’m remember correctly.

He has talked about it a half dozen times. The impression I got was that he was being fed inside info on the market for OEL and Kuemper, not just the obvious desire from teams around the league. He has nothing on the GM search because it's just XG and the Meruelos, right? And we don't know how they truly feel because there's been no action on Tocchet or Sullivan, and no hire yet.

We have candidates only because other offices have to grant permission.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad