OT: Hockey Memorabilia and Hockey Cards Collectors

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
so where in the city should i go to buy a cpl boxes figure id see if my nephew enjoys opening it with me and maybe he finds a new hobby hes into the tim hortons cards maybe he enjoys these also. what sets should i be looking at ?

Wal-mart is usually a good place to start. I'd go get a binder, some top loaders, some card sheets and a box or tin to start with.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
I have a whole bunch of 1974-75 hockey cards in a box somewhere. Howe, Hull etc. (The only year I ever collected cards). Never really looked to see if they were worth anything but I’m thinking the fact that I also used them to build card houses with pretty much negates any value they might have had.

Reactions: jetsforever

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I think I'll collect all the current Jets jerseys as well :)

I now have a Laine home jersey and an unnamed alternate/aviator jersey (will get Buff's name on it, but they didn't provide that service at the arena). I'm planning on getting an away Morrissey jersey and an Ehlers (or Wheeler) heritage one... so I can wear whatever the team is wearing on match day :D

It's pretty hard to choose whose name to put on them!! My absolute favourite players are Buff and Laine, but I'm very high on Connor, Ehlers, Morrissey too, and Wheeler is the captain so... I can't choose! Maybe I'll just collect the full set?

jetsfanpei

Jan 16, 2017
PEI
Here is a total long shot, but by chance does anyone have a Mark Flood jersey that they would be willing to sell?

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
It's too bad there aren't more sports card shows in Winnipeg. Seems like Toronto has them every week, while here it's about twice a year (and quite small)

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
so where in the city should i go to buy a cpl boxes figure id see if my nephew enjoys opening it with me and maybe he finds a new hobby hes into the tim hortons cards maybe he enjoys these also. what sets should i be looking at ?

Superstars on Portage past Polo Park is quite good and knowledgeable.

(edit) As for sets, I find the standard Upper Deck Series 1 and 2 to be the mainstay. You get the Young Guns rookie cards and veterans, and a few inserts. However all the patch and signature cards are usually the big ticket $$$ items in sets like the Cup and Premier.

Check out Cardboard Connection for explanations on everything! You can click on the different sets and see the checklists, descriptions, etc.

2018-19 Hockey Cards Product Details, Set Checklists, Release Dates

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
Superstars on Portage past Polo Park is quite good and knowledgeable.

(edit) As for sets, I find the standard Upper Deck Series 1 and 2 to be the mainstay. You get the Young Guns rookie cards and veterans, and a few inserts. However all the patch and signature cards are usually the big ticket $$$ items in sets like the Cup and Premier.

Check out Cardboard Connection for explanations on everything! You can click on the different sets and see the checklists, descriptions, etc.

2018-19 Hockey Cards Product Details, Set Checklists, Release Dates
thanks for that link ton of info little over whelming to understand it all at first and some of those boxes are pricey!

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Went down to my local sports shop and did some trades today. Got Hellebuyck, Ehlers, Roslovic young guns, Program of Excellence Morrissey, a Roslovic rookie portrait, a Laine and Hellebuyck glossy O-Pee-Chee rookie cards. An acetate Bryan Little and pretty much every base Jets card I didn't have between 16/17 and 17/18.

Bought a hobby box of 18/19 and my pull was a Heiskanen YG, also got Comtois, Terry, Kahun, Hyka and Blackwood. and 25 Under 25 McAvoy and Rantanen. Not bad but not amazing. Was hoping to pull the Pettersson.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Anyone knows if there are big expos in Winnipeg for cards during the Jets season? I'm planning on flying in for a game at some point. Might plan it around the expo and get two birds stoned at once.

Also anyone know if they hand out cards at certain games? If so I'd probably buy some of someone if they had any lying around.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone knows if there are big expos in Winnipeg for cards during the Jets season? I'm planning on flying in for a game at some point. Might plan it around the expo and get two birds stoned at once.

Also anyone know if they hand out cards at certain games? If so I'd probably buy some of someone if they had any lying around.
January 6 vs. the Stars is the Card Giveaway Promo night...

Reactions: Daximus

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011

Promotional Games

January 6 is hockey card night!

Reactions: Daximus

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim

Winnipeg doesn't have large sports card expos. Once in a while there are small ones (think high school gym).

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Winnipeg doesn't have large sports card expos. Once in a while there are small ones (think high school gym).

Collecting seems to be picking up a lot of steam lately. The local sports shop in my town bought 10 cases of Upper deck Series 1 and he only has 3 boxes left from the last case. And that was a week ago. Seems to be a lot of box reakers on youtube now as well. I think the hobby is making a massive comeback likely on the heels of some pretty amazing rookie classes the last few years.

Chewmasey

Jan 28, 2013
Winnipeg
I remember when I was younger I got some Jets 1.0 cards signed. All the stores advised not to get autographs on the cards as it will bring the value down.
LoL sure showed them, cause even if they weren't signed they would be worthless.
:laugh:

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
There's a sports card show this Sunday: 10-4 at the oak bluff rec hall next to the arena. Haven't been to one of these, so no idea how many tables will be setup.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Made a deal with a buddy and got a 9.5 graded Gem Mint Laine young gun, an autographed Josh Morrissey rookie shadowbox and a slew of Jets base cards I don't have. My Jets collection is getting pretty solid now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Picked up this Hawerchuk OPC rookie and this 06/07 Parkhurst dual auto of Steen/Hawerchuk for $30 at a local trade show today. Also bought a Quinton Howden UD Jets auto for $1.

Ducky.jpg

Reactions: Repoman

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Got my puck. Who is it?

Attachments

• CA8EE2F4-3E43-4B0B-98B7-0915D11DF926.jpeg
    CA8EE2F4-3E43-4B0B-98B7-0915D11DF926.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 31

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
I have a whole bunch of 1974-75 hockey cards in a box somewhere. Howe, Hull etc. (The only year I ever collected cards). Never really looked to see if they were worth anything but I’m thinking the fact that I also used them to build card houses with pretty much negates any value they might have had.
I brought my best of collection to Joe Daley’s last year to just get rid of them. Including a Pat Roy Rookie Teemu Rookie Joe Sakis rookie among many others and he wouldn’t give me a penny for any of it!

What a joke that industry is now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad