OT: Hockey Memorabilia and Hockey Cards Collectors

Andy6

Court Jetster
Jun 3, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
They were 9 cards for a dime when I was in elementary school in the early 70s. It was just an elementary school activity. Once we got to junior high and Grade 7, no one gave them a thought anymore. Too bad if kids are missing out on that today.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
Agreed on previous posts - careful not to fall into the trap of buying everything! Those new higher-end UD boxes are $$$, just look at the Cup and Premier. Those are mortgage payments for one pack of 5 cards! That said, you pull a Matthews auto patch card and you can buy a boat!

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
In the spring of 1974, at the end of the Jets' second season in the WHA, their owner, Ben Hatskin, initiated the first of many-to-come pleas for money in order to make the team viable. He threatened to move or sell the team to another city if he couldn't raise x dollars by a certain date.

The team sold non-voting shares to raise the money. 14-year-old me scrounged up the required $25 from my paper route money, and headed down to the Marlborough Hotel on the day the campaign kicked off, where I shook hands with Bobby Hull, was briefly interviewed by CJOB, and left with my share certificate, as a proud owner of one share of the Winnipeg Jets.

My father, who was convinced the whole thing was a scam for rich businessmen to steal money from gullible kids (he wasn't entirely wrong), was furious at me, and wouldn't talk to me for days. I, on the other hand, couldn't have been prouder.

I still have that share certificate today.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
In the spring of 1974, at the end of the Jets' second season in the WHA, their owner, Ben Hatskin, initiated the first of many-to-come pleas for money in order to make the team viable. He threatened to move or sell the team to another city if he couldn't raise x dollars by a certain date.

The team sold non-voting shares to raise the money. 14-year-old me scrounged up the required $25 from my paper route money, and headed down to the Marlborough Hotel on the day the campaign kicked off, where I shook hands with Bobby Hull, was briefly interviewed by CJOB, and left with my share certificate, as a proud owner of one share of the Winnipeg Jets.

My father, who was convinced the whole thing was a scam for rich businessmen to steal money from gullible kids (he wasn't entirely wrong), was furious at me, and wouldn't talk to me for days. I, on the other hand, couldn't have been prouder.

And to think if instead of that Jets share you waited 5 years and bought a share of Apple, it would be only be worth $6,500 today while that Jets share is priceless.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

I'd take that certificate to a game and demand entry into the Jets Alumni Lounge in the basement

Reactions: Jaytee

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Agreed on previous posts - careful not to fall into the trap of buying everything! Those new higher-end UD boxes are $$$, just look at the Cup and Premier. Those are mortgage payments for one pack of 5 cards! That said, you pull a Matthews auto patch card and you can buy a boat!

I stick to Series 1 and 2 stuff. Preorder a couple retail boxes, 24 packs per box for $85 Canadian. I pulled two Brock Boeser Young Guns and sold them for $45 a piece online. And payed for one case right there. Still have another two Boesers. Heck even going down to Walmart and grabbing a 12 pack box for $40 and you will usually pull at least one young gun you can sell online to make your money back.

I'd stay away from MVP and most O-pee-chee stuff. Doesn't seem to be worth much unless you get a major pull. Box breaks are where it's at for stuff like The Cup. Though I saw a kid on YouTube pulled a 1/1 Patch auto McDavid that's easily worth $1000. You could razz that bad boy off and make $1500+ easily.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
Just for laughs I checked ebay for some of the Gold Leaf, Parkhurst etc. cards that were very "high value" among us kids back in the early 90s. The Teemu Selänne rookie card which legend said was worth about $10-20 back then - which was like a small fortune for a 10 year old - seemed to sell for about a dollar on eBay. Oh well :D

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just for laughs I checked ebay for some of the Gold Leaf, Parkhurst etc. cards that were very "high value" among us kids back in the early 90s. The Teemu Selänne rookie card which legend said was worth about $10-20 back then - which was like a small fortune for a 10 year old - seemed to sell for about a dollar on eBay. Oh well :D

The late 80s and early 90s absolutely destroyed the market with over saturated product. After the 05 lockout when Upper Deck got the only contract is when the value got brought back up. I regularly see Black Diamond, Splendor, The Cup products go for 100s of dollars online. They are super expensive to buy packs so the only real way to get value is to join group breaks. Break, sell, rinse, repeat. Profit. I pulled a 10 gem mint rookie Laine and a 10 gem mint acetate Connor McDavid. Those two might help pay for my future kids college education 20 years down the line. Upper Deck is actually printing rare limited print cards that not everyone and their dog opened up from a pack of gum now so value is good.

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
I stick to Series 1 and 2 stuff. Preorder a couple retail boxes, 24 packs per box for $85 Canadian. I pulled two Brock Boeser Young Guns and sold them for $45 a piece online. And payed for one case right there. Still have another two Boesers. Heck even going down to Walmart and grabbing a 12 pack box for $40 and you will usually pull at least one young gun you can sell online to make your money back.

I'd stay away from MVP and most O-pee-chee stuff. Doesn't seem to be worth much unless you get a major pull. Box breaks are where it's at for stuff like The Cup. Though I saw a kid on YouTube pulled a 1/1 Patch auto McDavid that's easily worth $1000. You could razz that bad boy off and make $1500+ easily.

Thought Upper Deck series 1 comes out in November?

Pick the right box, and its better than owning Nortel stock!

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
The late 80s and early 90s absolutely destroyed the market with over saturated product. After the 05 lockout when Upper Deck got the only contract is when the value got brought back up. I regularly see Black Diamond, Splendor, The Cup products go for 100s of dollars online. They are super expensive to buy packs so the only real way to get value is to join group breaks. Break, sell, rinse, repeat. Profit. I pulled a 10 gem mint rookie Laine and a 10 gem mint acetate Connor McDavid. Those two might help pay for my future kids college education 20 years down the line. Upper Deck is actually printing rare limited print cards that not everyone and their dog opened up from a pack of gum now so value is good.

Those group breaks on Ebay are intense. People pay hundreds $$$ just for the chance at an Upper Deck The Cup break on a specific team (i.e. Leafs or Jets). Hockey card gambling!

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I was a 80s kid collecting and had no idea what a Rookie card was in 1979...used to make massive card houses out of them then smash them with my Starwars figures...who knew both would be worth big time cash now?
Then in the 90s in my teens I was insanely into the newest latest Proset/Bowman/Upperdeck/Parkhurst you name it..and as soon as I opened the pack the cards went under plastic to stay mint.
That’s just it...no one in 1979 thought their cards would be worth anything in the future so the cards that were mint were scarce and demanded a premium in the future . Where as all the cards from the 90s were A: over printed and B: kept mint from day one.. therefore there are millions of mint 90s cards available everywhere

mzappa

Jets fans in space
Jun 27, 2011
I was a 80s kid collecting and had no idea what a Rookie card was in 1979...used to make massive card houses out of them then smash them with my Starwars figures...who knew both would be worth big time cash now?
Then in the 90s in my teens I was insanely into the newest latest Proset/Bowman/Upperdeck/Parkhurst you name it..and as soon as I opened the pack the cards went under plastic to stay mint.
That’s just it...no one in 1979 thought their cards would be worth anything in the future so the cards that were mint were scarce and demanded a premium in the future . Where as all the cards from the 90s were A: over printed and B: kept mint from day one.. therefore there are millions of mint 90s cards available everywhere

I used to draw on my OPC cards from the 80s. Can't recall, but hope a Mike Bossy rookie didn't get my crayon treatment!

Reactions: Wolf357

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I used to draw on my OPC cards from the 80s. Can't recall, but hope a Mike Bossy rookie didn't get my crayon treatment!
my story was even better.
the Oilers had a team checklist with Gretz on the front.
on the back, and on each and every checklist card i owned, i used a magenta marker to change "Lee Fogolin" to "Le Fogolin".
i was 6 at the time.
not sure if i thought i was being funny or if i really thought it was a spelling error.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Those group breaks on Ebay are intense. People pay hundreds $$$ just for the chance at an Upper Deck The Cup break on a specific team (i.e. Leafs or Jets). Hockey card gambling!

I follow a bunch of break groups on facebook and Clouts and Chara out of kitchener has a forum dedicated to breaks. Most Jets spots for The Cup breaks go for $400 but I've seen guys pull $1600 worth of cards out of there and flip them pretty quick. I've also seen some guys come out with nothing. Definitely a gamble.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
Funny...good buddy was a massive Oiler fan.. had all of Gretzkys cards including his RC on display .. day he got traded he crossed off Oilers with a permanent marker and wrote Kings. We were like 11 at the time but I remember it like it was yesterday.

Reactions: Spock

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I rejuvenated my childhood hobby as well! I bought an Upper Deck 2018-19 Artifacts hobby box and a booster box at the arena yesterday. I really like the memorabilia aspect they have going on nowadays with jersey patches, autographs etc. The downside with that is I now possess a piece of P.K. Subban’s game worn jersey :(

Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I rejuvenated my childhood hobby as well! I bought an Upper Deck 2018-19 Artifacts hobby box and a booster box at the arena yesterday. I really like the memorabilia aspect they have going on nowadays with jersey patches, autographs etc. The downside with that is I now possess a piece of P.K. Subban’s game worn jersey :(

Is it signed?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Thankfully not.

haha I was gonna say you could easily fetch some decent money for that bad boy if it was. I just outright sell players I dislike. Right now I'm working on getting Jets rookies cards.

I have a 10/10 mint graded Laine UD Rookie, Parkhurst Laine, Lipon and Connor rookies. And Upper Deck Young Guns for Copp, Roslovic, Morrissey, Petan, Connor, De Leo, Tanev, Lemieux and Comrie. Ehlers, Trouba and Hellebuyck YG's go for about $30-40 bucks for base set, Scheif YG is like $100. Don't have any Jets canvas, exclusives, parallels or none Upper Deck Series 1/2 stuff yet. But I'm working on it. I want to try and get as many Laine rookies as I can and frame them around my autographed Laine rookie jersey. They all go for a pretty penny though.

Reactions: Tommigun

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
so where in the city should i go to buy a cpl boxes figure id see if my nephew enjoys opening it with me and maybe he finds a new hobby hes into the tim hortons cards maybe he enjoys these also. what sets should i be looking at ?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad