OT: Hockey Memorabilia and Hockey Cards Collectors

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
i used to have so many. Think i trashed all my 90s cards (remember Pro-Set? all those errors? my god).
I still have my cards from 1980-1983. some nice ones.

Pro-set was just junk, yet I had the entire first set. I knew it wasn't a good thing when they had Referee cards. Hockey fans really put getting those at a the top of their checklists

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
4874-681Fr.jpg
700.jpg

That Leon Stickle card must be burning up the hockey card price charts

Reactions: HannuJ and Spock

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
i used to have so many. Think i trashed all my 90s cards (remember Pro-Set? all those errors? my god).
I still have my cards from 1980-1983. some nice ones.
I vividly remember when Pro-Set first came out.. it was mind blowing that they had full colour pictures on both sides of the card..and errors wow at the time it was thought that they would be with a fortune (error cards from the 70s/80s were worth more as they were more scarce than the reprinted corrected ones)
I would spend every cent of my allowance do extra jobs to get more money all...for Pro-set cards.. thought I could buy a Ferrari with my cards when I turned 45...can’t buy a pack of gum with them :(

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I vividly remember when Pro-Set first came out.. it was mind blowing that they had full colour pictures on both sides of the card..and errors wow at the time it was thought that they would be with a fortune (error cards from the 70s/80s were worth more as they were more scarce than the reprinted corrected ones)
I would spend every cent of my allowance do extra jobs to get more money all...for Pro-set cards.. thought I could buy a Ferrari with my cards when I turned 45...can’t buy a pack of gum with them :(

You'll be happy to know a Referee Leon Stickle Pro-set card sold for $1.12 on ebay!

Reactions: Wolf357 and Spock

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Just preordered two retail boxes of 18/19 Upper Deck Series 1, so far UD Series 1/2 is my favourite of the cheaper sets. Price point actually isn't bad. Should be some good young guns in this set. Dahlin, Svechnikov, Pettersson, Howden, Tolvanen, Bouchard, Donato, Jokiharju, Vesalainen, Heiskanen, Niku, Juulsen, Valimaki, Mittelstadt, Andersson, Rasmussen, Cholowsi, Lajoie, Borgstrom, Steel, Comtois, Johnsson, Cirelli, Tolvanen, Greenway, Kotkaniemi.

Might be one of the best young gun classes ever. And apparantly they have really limited prints of the Young gun canvas cards. Pettersson is expected to go for $80 right out of the box.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg
Awesome thread!

Started collecting when I was a kid rolling through the card stores and flea markets just to pick up players I liked with my Dad. Stopped for a good chunk of years, but over the last five or so years I have picked it up pretty strong. Truly is an amazing amount of selection out there - and it makes it that much more fun having our own team to pick up and chase down.

I have a pretty strong collection of key Jets - Scheifele, Laine, Hellebuyck - but also have focused my collection as of late on more high end items chasing down the big Crosby, McDavid and Matthews where possible.

Like others have mentioned... can be a very, very expensive hobby, but there are many streams you can approach and at the end of the day - you ultimately have to find the thrill in collecting what YOU want to collect.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I was in the Value Village on Ellice this weekend and there were just bags and bags of 1990-91 Pro-Set, Score, Parkhurst and other lesser hockey card brands for $2.99. Literally at least 200 bags, I was very tempted to buy a few just to relive some old memories but thought maybe I'd rather just keep the money. Someone obviously couldn't sell their collection and donated it haha

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
^It's weird cause you can still find that era cards brand new sometimes. I remember a couple years back at Toys R Us they had early 90's SCORE packs for sale. Like 50c a pack or something. Brand new in their original packages. I've seen some pro set at dollarama recently too but not in their original packs but like a bunch is some clear packaging.

I enjoyed it when everyone was collecting them back then. I'm not into it cause the cards seem to be so expensive nowadays. Like $5 and you get 3 cards in a pack or something. I remember when I first started in the early 90's you could get a pack of o-pee-chee for $0.45 at the vending machine and you'd get 5 or so cards.

What would the cheapest cards to get into these days?

damaaster

Dec 29, 2009
WINNIPEG
I was a big collector, and still have a lot of stuff - though in the process of probably selling it all. I already got rid of my 50,000+ hockey card collection.

What I still have:

Framed/Signed Jean Beliveau Jersey
Framed/Signed Bobby orr Photo of "the goal", as well as a stick hand taped/signed by Bobby Orr (all in the same frame)
Malkin Signed/Framed Photo
Entire hockey card set framed of 67 Leafs, with big picture of Bower (signed by Bower) from last year leafs won the cup
Entire hockey card set framed of Winnipeg Jets from Hawerchuk's rookie year, with big picture of Ducky(signed by Ducky)
Byfuglien All Star poster, signed from when he was @ all star game in Columbus
Custom Jets Arcade Table
A bunch of signed framed pics of Gary Cheevers, Bobby Hull, Guy Lafleur, and a few others

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
^It's weird cause you can still find that era cards brand new sometimes. I remember a couple years back at Toys R Us they had early 90's SCORE packs for sale. Like 50c a pack or something. Brand new in their original packages. I've seen some pro set at dollarama recently too but not in their original packs but like a bunch is some clear packaging.

I enjoyed it when everyone was collecting them back then. I'm not into it cause the cards seem to be so expensive nowadays. Like $5 and you get 3 cards in a pack or something. I remember when I first started in the early 90's you could get a pack of o-pee-chee for $0.45 at the vending machine and you'd get 5 or so cards.

I think the Tim Hortons cards are a buck for a 3 pack but that's with a beverage purchase?

Funny story, back in the early 90s I was at a local card shop with some friends and they had unopened packs of the 1986 o-pee-chee for sale for a reasonable price. So we bought some. As we were opening them up some very young kid that was hanging around the store grabbed some of the gum from one of the packs and popped it in his mouth and took off. Gum was only about 6 years old, no problem.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think the Tim Hortons cards are a buck for a 3 pack but that's with a beverage purchase?

Funny story, back in the early 90s I was at a local card shop with some friends and they had unopened packs of the 1986 o-pee-chee for sale for a reasonable price. So we bought some. As we were opening them up some very young kid that was hanging around the store grabbed some of the gum from one of the packs and popped it in his mouth and took off. Gum was only about 6 years old, no problem.
I remember that gum being stale when the packs were new! :laugh:

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Got a 16/17 UD Series 1 box tonight. Pulled some nice Laine and Connor cards. Got a Morgan Reilly game used jersey card that I'm hoping my Leafs buddy will take for his Ehlers Young Gun.

Smelling Salt

Busey is life
Mar 8, 2006
Winnipeg
I have a few pristine Gretzky rookie cards. Everything else is penny stock though.

Same I have two Gretzkys.

I have a few other rookies like Marcel Dionne, Gilbert Perrault, Rick Martin, Brett Hull, Kurri, etc. I have more decent rookies from the early 70s and 80s but I honestly don't even remember what they are as I haven't looked at them in 20+ years lol.

204hockey

#whiteout
Sep 29, 2017
i have a game worn keith ktachuk pant shell signed from the final season of the original jets when they were doing the save our jets auctions also have 2 sticks signed by the team from the same auctions and i have a keith ktachuk signed rookie card. he was my 2nd fav player besides selanne for a bit lol id like to get the pant shells framed with the rookie card and also find out what there worth to someone prob not close to what they were bid for in the auction lol!

Brominator

Sep 12, 2009
WPG

A long long time ago, card collecting was for kids (pre-1990). I collected like crazy in the early 90s, and affordable packs of cards could be found everywhere. There were so many brands - opeechee, upper deck, fleer, topps, pro-set, score, bowman, Parkhurst, etc. Some brands were premium, but for the basic ones you could get packs of 15 cards for a buck.

Collecting cards is a great way to learn about the game, different players, teams, and statistics, without staring at a screen. I'd love to get my son into the hobby as he gets older, but there doesn't seem to be an affordable option any more. Just a bunch of different kinds of Upper Deck cards, all fairly expensive. I guess Tim Horton's is the closest, but only 3 cards in a pack, and you have to buy a drink. Not interested.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad