GDT: Hockey is back! Pre-Season game 1. Jets vs. Wild 7:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Is it still as painful to watch ELL as last year? Non existent chemistry will not suddenly appear with this line this year either. Better put Copp between Ehlers and Laine from the beginning.

Copp - Lowry - Tanev is unlikely to be broke up ever.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Is it still as painful to watch ELL as last year? Non existent chemistry will not suddenly appear with this line this year either. Better put Copp between Ehlers and Laine from the beginning.

The line looked fine. Way too soon to say as all three were largely going through the motions.

Reactions: FFHockey

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
How many here have even really seen Stanley play?

Seriously.

This.

There is one poster in theses forums who is quite hard on him that was ready to write him off. Asked him/her how many games they've seen LS play. Once. After seeing him play once, he/she beat that rhetoric to death that he was bust city.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
This.

There is one poster in theses forums who is quite hard on him that was ready to write him off. Asked him/her how many games they've seen LS play. Once. After seeing him play once, he/she beat that rhetoric to death that he was bust city.

He is an example of statistical ignorance. Take his first junior season stats off his resume, and he would be viewed as a very solid prospect.

I think from the get go, first prospect camp, many were surprised by his skill set, faster than most thought, not just a big body, but a player that can pass, read plays, covers lots of ice.

Still has some work to do, but the ignorant blind analyses that he is only here for his size, needs to be laid to rest.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
He is an example of statistical ignorance. Take his first junior season stats off his resume, and he would be viewed as a very solid prospect.

I think from the get go, first prospect camp, many were surprised by his skill set, faster than most thought, not just a big body, but a player that can pass, read plays, covers lots of ice.

Still has some work to do, but the ignorant blind analyses that he is only here for his size, needs to be laid to rest.
the worst thing said was he had no skill at all and was drafted in the 1st round only because of his size. common sense says you don't get drafted in the 1st round because of this only.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

ello

Jun 12, 2018
It might be a two way street early on. Either he's big and strong on the boards or lean and quick. He could be both later but at his age he isn't at his peak athletic frame yet.
I would wait until the regular season to judge his board work. Laine’s never been the most competitive guy along the boards and he looked a little extra lazy tonight, which is understandable.

Anyone who’s met Wheeler in person knows that he isn’t the biggest guy in the world, yet cycling the puck is one of his biggest strengths. Heck the Sedins are two of the better puck cyclers of their decade and simultaneously may have been two of the softer players as well.

I think technique and balance are a lot more important when it comes to puck battles, and Laine is such a big guy to start with anyways that I dont thinks strength is going to be what prevents him from winning those battles.

Reactions: Ippenator

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario

Too early. While I agree it is unlikely, i still have my fingers crossed. All 3 looked rusty. And Laine and Ehlers were still sloppy in the D zone. I don't really judge Vets in pre season. At all. Even though some on here are already into mid season form on blaming Little for Laine doing nothing in a pre season game. And not much notice of Little holding them together in the D zone.

I would first split up Ehlers and Laine as Maurice said before splitting up the Copp/Lowry/Tanev line or putting Roslo or Petan between Laine/Ehlers, that would be an absolute tire fire bleeding chances against

Saintb

May 5, 2016
Saintb
one guy who impressed me was Dano. he seems to take angles on the forecheck that almost surprise the puck carriers. I hope he sticks. not seeing it with Petan unfortunately.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Maurice isn't going to touch the TLC line unless we get off to a horrible start to the regular season . If Little doesn't mesh with Laine and Ehlers i think Roslovic will get a chance to be their center . Brossoit played very good last night , he might be ready for equipment that has Jets colors . :laugh:

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
one guy who impressed me was Dano. he seems to take angles on the forecheck that almost surprise the puck carriers. I hope he sticks. not seeing it with Petan unfortunately.
I think both stick and battle for the last wing spot with the other being in press box. Jets will likely send Lemieux down cause he clears and KVes will play with Moose as his contract can slide.
Having Petan and Dano as your 12-13 forward is pretty darn good.

Reactions: ps241

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Hard to take anything from the game for both teams. I don't think any of the Wild bubble guys are going to make the big club and the Jets big guys looked like they were in a scrimmage.

The Dano-Petan-Lemieux line looked the only interested line for Winnipeg. Brossoit looked good but it wasn't a lot of NHL shooters going at him.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I also think Lemieux, Petan and Dano are serious contenders to grab a roster spot. Makes me happy to see the competition is real, those three could be on another NHL team's top six.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Roslovic-Ehlers
(Perrault) Dano-Little-Lemieux (Petan)
Lowry-Copp-Tanev

I would love to see that line tested out.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think both stick and battle for the last wing spot with the other being in press box. Jets will likely send Lemieux down cause he clears and KVes will play with Moose as his contract can slide.
Having Petan and Dano as your 12-13 forward is pretty darn good.
I think there's a chance that KVes grabs a roster spot and Lemieux and Appleton will show enough that the Jets will look to move Petan or Dano in a trade, rather than losing them on the waiver wire. I think Maurice is going to try to put his best players on this ice this year, and let Chevy worry a bit more about waivers, etc. Another option I think the Jets might explore is Dano with Roslovic and Perreault. He looks ready to have a good season. Perhaps the main limitation to Dano's game (vs. KVes) is that he isn't as good or as inclined to control the puck along the boards. He's more inclined to move the puck quickly, which can be a positive with some linemates.

Reactions: Ippenator

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I also think Lemieux, Petan and Dano are serious contenders to grab a roster spot. Makes me happy to see the competition is real, those three could be on another NHL team's top six.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Laine-Roslovic-Ehlers
(Perrault) Dano-Little-Lemieux (Petan)
Lowry-Copp-Tanev

I would love to see that line tested out.
Yup... I liked the Jets' 4th and 5th lines last night...

KVes-Roslovic-Perreault
Lemieux-Petan-Dano

I didn't see the stats, but I seem to recall that Petan and Roslovic both won their share of face-offs. It's against lesser competition, and perhaps not that important, but coaches notice those things when they are trying guys at C.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Brossoit had these flashes with Oilers. He just needs consistency. I liked the pick up in the summer. And it looks like he's put in work to improve his game. Elite shooters will come as season starts and it's different but he's moving well.

Too soon to say he is going to challenge Helle - but a very good first game in a Jets uniform. Has Comrie ever looked that good, even in pre-season?

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
nothing changed watching last nights game vesalainen makes team on line with Perreault and roslovic fairly easily. petan and dano go back to pb duties like 2 years ago. only difference is dano would go in 1st if someone injured not so sure that Lemieux wouldn't be called up and put in if 2nd injury hits.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Some thoughts after sleeping on it

Laine/Little/Ehlers - Started out slowly but I thought as they game went along they were showing their pedigree. I mean Laine had 6 shots on net and didn't score. That isn't going to happen during the season. Ehlers was flying out there and Minny had no answer for him. Little was good I thought playing the anchor to the 2 high flyers. Hopefully it develops more as the preseason goes along

Vesa/Roslo/Perreault - I thought they were consistently the best unit all night. Roslo started slowly but really picked it up as the game went along. He was dynamite in the dot. Vesa played a very solid game I thought. His board play with this pair was excellent. His passing in small areas was fully evident last night. I would like to see him take some more shots though. What can you say about Perreault every smaller player needs to watch him play, and play like him. Guy is a beast on the forecheck and plays hard every shift.

Lemieux/Petan/Dano - Up and down for me. I was yelling at Lemieux on the goal he set up to drive the net cause that is the only way you are going to make this team and he did and go things happened. Dano I thought looked much better then last year. He needs to work on his shift length though. Petan the skill is there but sometimes he gets caught doing to much

Appleton/Griffith/Kerdiles - Tweeners. They didn't really generate anything. Played some decent Pk. Appleton was ok nothing special tonight.

Buff/Stanley - I think it is easy to look good playing with Buff. But I think that is the idea. Give Stanley some confidence before sending him down. He really didn't look out of place and didn't make any big mistakes. Solid game. Minny attacked his side of the ice and I thought he handled it well

Niku/Chairot - Like Niku's game. Has that offensive flair and his defensive game is sound. Chairot is at his best when he plays simple direct hockey and he can try to do more but it can be a tire fire.

Morrow/Poolman - Struggled early, calmed down a bit later. Honestly out of the 4 of them I thought these guys had a worse game then Niku/Chiarot.

Brossoit - Looked good. Safe and moved side to side with easy. Glove hand was flashed. Can't see Comrie beating him out.

From a game stand point. It is the same old Minny under Boudreau. Shoot from everywhere and try to slow the Jets down. They took a lot of penalites and we couldn't make them pay for it but we will.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think there's a chance that KVes grabs a roster spot and Lemieux and Appleton will show enough that the Jets will look to move Petan or Dano in a trade, rather than losing them on the waiver wire. I think Maurice is going to try to put his best players on this ice this year, and let Chevy worry a bit more about waivers, etc. Another option I think the Jets might explore is Dano with Roslovic and Perreault. He looks ready to have a good season. Perhaps the main limitation to Dano's game (vs. KVes) is that he isn't as good or as inclined to control the puck along the boards. He's more inclined to move the puck quickly, which can be a positive with some linemates.

I agree. I thought Dano looked pretty good, but Petan is going to have to be much better if he's going to get a chance with the big club, he's running out of time. Petan is still playing like he's in junior, and he needs to simplify his game.

I thought considering it's the first game of the season that Roslovic is going to be our #2 center at some point this year. He was outstanding last night.

Brossoit really surprised me. If he keeps this up, he's going to be a very good backup.

Stanley also surprised me. We will see how the rest of the pre-season goes, but he looked as good as any of the non-regulars.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Come on, at Laine's age, Scheifele had played 11 games and scored 1+0=1.
He didn't have as hard a time because he was playing in a junior league.

There was also a very good reason why we called him 'Bambi' during those years as well :)

We all want Patrik to be a monster at all facets of the game by now, but we need to have some patience.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
This.

This is one of the bigger mysteries to me. Ever since he was drafted, people were so down on him. They call him a project, yet he puts up excellent numbers on a Memorial Cup finalist. He plays mean, which is what everybody wants from their 6'7'' defenseman (with all due respect to Jets big d-men from Babych to Myers, a lot of them played like they were puffed wheat). And in the first exhibition game, he showed a ton of poise, a good amount of the meanness we want, and some really nice offensive plays. He outplayed Niku, who half the people already have pencilled in.

I am nothing other than optimistic about Stanley's ceiling.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I agree. I thought Dano looked pretty good, but Petan is going to have to be much better if he's going to get a chance with the big club, he's running out of time. Petan is still playing like he's in junior, and he needs to simplify his game.
Very disappointed with Petan yesterday. I am one of his biggest boosters, but man...maybe the problem is between his ears but he doesn't seem to get what it takes to stay in the NHL. All that talent should not go to waste. I still think he has what it takes to be an impact player, but he can't afford to take a step back and I think he did yesterday. At least he was good in the face-off circle (then again, all our centres were).

Reactions: Howard Chuck
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad